Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Women in Game Development

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So what? You don't need good graphics for a good game. If this were a truly "socially correct" company they'd have women programmers.
Female programmers are rare and they can only hire the applicants who appear the most favorable.

You can't hire female programmers anymore than you can hire piano playing dogs. Though from what Roguey has said they're not a "socially correct" company anyway as they label production staff as "interns" and, one would reasonably presume, pay them on that level. I think HBS may have hit on a modern solution: instead of paying female staff members fuck all on the basis that they're female - pay them fuck all on the basis that they're "interns".

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Female programmers are rare

And why do you think that is?

and they can only hire the applicants who appear the most favorable.

Companies can hire whom they want. Ever see some of those job listings (in any field)? They'll purposely list lots of requirements that are tough to me. If someone they don't like tries to apply, they can easily say "they lacked the qualifications" and there's little that can be done of it.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Why does SCO seem to think anyone gives a shit who he ignores?

Female programmers are rare and they can only hire the applicants who appear the most favorable.

Which is odd, considering that it doesn't seem like programming courses at university are completely male dominated any longer. My class in 2012 had about 30% - 40% females in it.

Which is odd, considering that it doesn't seem like programming courses at university are completely male dominated any longer. My class in 2012 had about 30% - 40% females in it.

They usually sleep their way into a cushy management position.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think HBS may have hit on a modern solution: instead of paying female staff members fuck all on the basis that they're female - pay them fuck all on the basis that they're "interns".
They have both male and female interns and there are six women as part of their staff. Granted, two of those received their positions from nepotism considering their last names are Weisman and Gitelman.

It would be accurate to refer to Harebrained Schemes as a Jewish company, as it's run by two Jewish families and has other employees with Jewish-sounding surnames.

I'm given to understand that some attach importance to whom is or isn't in their "group". The sad little shits.

It would be accurate to refer to Harebrained Schemes as a Jewish company, as it's run by two Jewish families and has other employees with Jewish-sounding surnames.
And yet the bastards didn't hire me despite the fact I've an enormous nose, am circumcised, and I really, really like money. There's no fucking justice.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The plural of anecdote is not fact. I have attended uni in 3 european countries and the percentages are lower. Better than a decade before, but nowhere near parity. And between you and me, some of of the girls (and boys) who graduated from CS were not the programming type.

There are plenty of women programming, had my ass handed by some of them, but let's not pretend it's not still mostly a boy's playfield.

made

Arcane
And yet the bastards didn't hire me despite the fact I've an enormous nose, am circumcised, and I really, really like money. There's no fucking justice.
You still lack the Jew gene so they can smell you're not one of them. Sorry you wasted all that money on cosmetic surgery, goy.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Did you bring your well poisoning certificate?

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
When i was having a programming course together with my high school, we were 40. Only 3 out of 40 were females, and they all failed in the end of the semester. During the first days where we introduce to each other in class, the guys mentioned having an interest in coding and the IT market - the three girls had the same answer however, "I'm here just because dad said so". Fast forward a few years, game design/dev course. Only 1 girl in the class, and she failed so many classes she gave up.

Now, i'm not a sexist man that believes that "All women are inferior", but its obvious that they have different aptitudes, statistically.

The designers and programmers were all men.

The fantastic art was created by women. :smug:

So what? You don't need good graphics for a good game.

Not graphics, art design. You can have a game with creative characters in an interesting, believable world or you can have cubes floating by and numbers. The art design team is very important for fleshing out a game's scenario and making it not just another retarded goblin-smasher game. Graphics depend more on the engine used - the art crew makes concept art for races, worldbuilding, clothes/armor and weapon design and even the soundtrack. Its a huge part of the game unless you're entertained solely by excel spreadsheets.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Now, i'm not a sexist man that believes that "All women are inferior", but its obvious that they have different aptitudes, statistically.
I don't think it's a case of aptitude rather than attitude. Something educational. They are as capable as we are, but for some reason only some of them have the mind x-factor to push into frustrating problemsolving and as it was said lots of them drop out or seek another career paths within IT. Maybe they are smarter to avoid all the shit-shoving that comes from being a code monkey :D

See India, latest news I had they were almost par.

Last edited:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
When i was having a programming course together with my high school, we were 40. Only 3 out of 40 were females, and they all failed in the end of the semester. During the first days where we introduce to each other in class, the guys mentioned having an interest in coding and the IT market - the three girls had the same answer however, "I'm here just because dad said so". Fast forward a few years, game design/dev course. Only 1 girl in the class, and she failed so many classes she gave up.

The designers and programmers were all men.

The fantastic art was created by women. :smug:

So what? You don't need good graphics for a good game.

Not graphics, art design. You can have a game with creative characters in an interesting, believable world or you can have cubes floating by and numbers. The art design team is very important for fleshing out a game's scenario and making it not just another retarded goblin-smasher game. Graphics depend more on the engine used - the art crew makes concept art for races, worldbuilding, clothes/armor and weapon design and even the soundtrack. Its a huge part of the game unless you're entertained solely by excel spreadsheets.
You need graphics to have all that kewl effects or else you end up with moving portraits.

I don't think it's a case of aptitude rather than attitude. Something educational. They are as capable as we are, but for some reason only some of them have the mind x-factor to push into frustrating problemsolving and as it was said lots of them drop out or seek another career paths within IT. Maybe they are smarter to avoid all the shit-shoving that comes from being a code monkey :D

See India, latest news I had they were almost par.
Could it be because the enviromnent is hard and they need qualifications for well paying jobs? Just a tought...

He's leaving reminders for his future self, when DU inevitably breaks the forum and he has to build it again. Search all posts by: SCO; containing: ignore

It's like watching kids build a sandcastle slowly, hoping it'll reach the heavens. You know that eventually a big kid will pass by and kick it down, leaving nothing but a watery crater in its place; and you wonder with morbid curiosity if they'll have the heart to do it all again, or say "fuck this" and walk away.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

He's leaving reminders for his future self, when DU inevitably breaks the forum and he has to build it again. Search all posts by: SCO; containing: ignore

It's like watching kids build a sandcastle slowly, hoping it'll reach the heavens. You know that eventually a big kid will pass by and kick it down, leaving nothing but a watery crater in its place; and you wonder with morbid curiosity if they'll have the heart to do it all again, or say "fuck this" and walk away.

It's why I don't bother using the ignore list.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

None of 4 girls in my class in CS school had problems with programming. The downside is that 3/4 of them were l1berals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom