Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Work in progress - now with lighting!

Excalibur

Liturgist
VD i just want to know if there is animated titties that i can look ar while playing the game?

Human Shield

Augur
Get the shadows on the items (so they don't look like they are floating), and you should be set.

Look into trying to get on TotalGaming.net. They don't have any RPG on their lineup, good promotion source, a lot of TB strategy fans, and people are more apt to buy it if they have tickets lying around.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
In the night time screenshot the guy at the 12 o'clock position has a really short shadow and seems to be off. Bug? Otherwise those are some really nice shadows.

You can get rid of that floaty effect if the other objects in the scene also cast their own shadow.

That is some pretty good soil erosion on that ground of yours too, by the way. :P I like the textures.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
@Human Shield

Get the shadows on the items (so they don't look like they are floating), and you should be set.

Torque, even with Lighting Pack, doesn't support dynamic shadows for static objects. Though, LP allows baked shadows (lightmaps) for them, but they are pretty blurry and aren't visible for such small thingies as barrels/chests.

There is a workaround, though, but I'm afraid even to think what will happen to perfomance, especially when player will get into the forest. Anyway, if we'll have enough time, we'll be able to include dynamic shadows for everything as option.

@ Sovy Kurosei

In the night time screenshot the guy at the 12 o'clock position has a really short shadow and seems to be off. Bug? Otherwise those are some really nice shadows.

That shadow looks short, because:

1) Other characters are closer to the fire. Fire itself has its height, so it looks like 12-o'clock character is close, but he isn't;
2) fire is flickering when burning, so shadows dynamically change their angle/lenght;
3) there is also a moonlight, which affects characters' shadows too.

That is some pretty good soil erosion on that ground of yours too, by the way. I like the textures.

Thanks.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Great work, keep it up, looking forward to playing it.

I do personally prefer the isometric graphics with the emphasis on artwork and a distinctive style rather than polygons and texture mapping.

Edit: Actually, comparing the shots, this is looking a lot better. And there are cool shadowz!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Okay, so everybode loves teh shinies, everyone wants to know if the Romans wore any underwear and if yes than what color and all that yadda yadda yadda... now let's move to more important aspects of gameplay... so, here:

Does the soil erode naturally? If not, why? You know, there's more to immersion than just this distinctive look bullcrap and oververbose dialouge.

Jed

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
Huh? No bitching? Come on, guys, don't go soft on me!
You bastard! You pousseux de crottes! You sold out your 2D fans--how could you??? Tu me fais gerber!

(How was that? Too bitchy, or not bitchy enough?)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
PrzeSzkoda said:
Does the soil erode naturally? If not, why?
Well, it's actually what the main plot is all about: a very evil magician has casted a very evil, naturally, spell that fucked up soil in a major way. A call has been made to heroes to battle the magician and save the soil robbed of the precious erosion. That's why everything is flat when you start playing. When the game is over, a stolen Oblivion cutscene featuring some beatiful soil erosion would be shown followed by the cheering peasants cutscene from KOTOR.

Jed said:
You bastard! You pousseux de crottes! You sold out your 2D fans--how could you??? Tu me fais gerber!

(How was that? Too bitchy, or not bitchy enough?)
Much better, thank you. My faith in the Codex (Quality Bitching You Can Trust!) has been completely restored.

Sandelfron

Scholar
You could make some Patrick Stewart voiceover by cutting
together sound-bites from Star Trek:TNG episodes.

Crnobog

Liturgist
OMIGOD, his spneding too much taem on teh graphix! TEH GAEMPLY WILL SUXORZ!!!

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Right now I have one, but really big complaint - the picture looks crappy and wrong. IMO, the problem is that you changed armour plates, but everything else stays the same. You should tweak every object, character, texture in the game so that it bears the same style. Rusty armour, wheathered barrels, dirty-muddy tents and so on. Now it looks just too perfect for a kinda-post-apo game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Kamaz said:
Right now I have one, but really big complaint - the picture looks crappy and wrong
That's the unique style we're trying to create: crappy and wrong.

You should tweak every object, character, texture in the game so that it bears the same style.
What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? *rolls eyes*

LlamaGod said:
Stop using the 3D shit already, congoid.
Stop being a dick already.

RGE

Liturgist
I guess that I'm the only one who think that the guys in the day shot are too faded/brown/beige and that the night shot is entirely too reddish. I would prefer a much more yellow campfire, much like the torches in NWN. The torchlight in NWN (and possibly in other games which I haven't played) is great for enhancing the atmosphere, and it is not red like a city district for prostitutes. As for going with 3D, I'll be expecting something like this then. :D

Good riddance! :wink: (Yeah, I've completely missed everything since that screenshot, but when I backtracked I found that nice looking walking sprite - but not the other sprites)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I agree with RGE's comment about fire colour.

Of course, I'm colour-blind so maybe I got it all wrong.

Crnobog

Liturgist
I wonder, are you going to redesign the GUI as well? IMO, it blended nicely with the 2D version's graphical style, but now it seems a bit out of place.
How about a 3d one with a nice texture to make it look like it's carved out of marble/stone?

Psilon

Erudite
I disagree. Way too many interfaces look like they're carved out of stone. If I wanted that I'd go play Baldur's Gate again. Another thing I'd like to avoid is the whole "turning pages" motif--it's even more overused.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Crnobog said:
I wonder, are you going to redesign the GUI as well? IMO, it blended nicely with the 2D version's graphical style, but now it seems a bit out of place.
How about a 3d one with a nice texture to make it look like it's carved out of marble/stone?
Unlikely. First, I really like this one (I know it's a lame argument, but at least I'm honest), it reminds me of good times with the 2D version - sentimental value. Second, we can't afford to waste time redesigning things that already exist and work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom