Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Planes

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
www.worldofplanesgame.com

World of Planes is an MMO dedicated to World War II military aviation. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world. Become a lone hero or lead your squadron to victory — the choice is yours!

trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBIOrXAd4qc

hydd

This title looks like it'll only appeal to the smallest demographic of players.

Firstly the total population who wants to play a plane based mmorpg has to be minuscule, and secondly, it's a World War 2 simulation.

I challenge anyone to find a game with a worse target audience.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
- not supposed to be an mmoRPG, just an mmog
- there already are ww2 military plane mmos out there and they have a relatively stable user base with clans/squadrons, tournaments and what have you, but those are rather ugly compared to world of planes
- world of planes is supposed to follow the world of tanks f2p model
- dynamic ground action
- detailed cockpits
- big air battles
- not likely to attract the WoW crowd

worse target audience ? let's see... how about housewives who have never touched a computer before ? farmville !

it's not so much about your target audience, it's more about how you cater to it and get it interested in your product

hydd

Fens said:
worse target audience ? let's see... how about housewives who have never touched a computer before ? farmville !

Let me rephrase, a less profitable audience. It's common knowledge Farmville has an extremely high profit margin and very low bounce rate for a browser based application.

Fens said:
it's not so much about your target audience, it's more about how you cater to it and get it interested in your product

Agreed. The reason I made my comment on the demographic was primarily out of shock that such a game would be in development. I can only wonder how they pitched this concept to potential investors :)

Anyhow, I wish them and their players a bright future.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
hydd said:
Fens said:

Agreed. The reason I made my comment on the demographic was primarily out of shock that such a game would be in development. I can only wonder how they pitched this concept to potential investors :)
precedent... world of tanks earns money and existing flyboy circlejerks have a very stable (smallish) userbase with ugly sims, expanding that userbase with a f2p model and shiny gfx doesn't sound all that odd an idea to me

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
World of Tanks isn't bad, and WoPlanes and WoShips will just give those Russians a complete hold on the f2p ww2 vehicle simulators. Though I believe world of ships is going to be ww1.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
In World of Tanks paying players have unfair advantages over the free players. I perfectly understand their desire and need to make some money, but they could implement a model similar to LoL, which is fairer by far.
I'm afraid that they will follow their old paying model, first used in WoT.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
There is also World of Warships... and it can't get here soon enough.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
World of Warplanes looks p. badass. I never played WoT, can you upgrade lots of different parts of your vehicle, give it new paint jobs, upload icons, etc?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Yep, you even have a crew that gains experience through battles and becomes more effective. I'm not sure about the paint jobs though. Speaking of crews, i wonder if World of Planes will feature something similar.

Renegen

Arcane
Bro just play Navyfield.
BUAHHAHHAHA, no. It's a korean MMO with shitty graphics.

World of Planes definitively doesn't sound as profitable as World of Tanks, and best yet there are 2 World of Planes games? That won't be good. Personally I'm looking forward to World of Mechs (Mechwarrior Online).

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
I'll make it easy for everyone who is interested in a nice sim type like game :

World of Planes by Gaijin - good (if my spidey sense is tingling, it will be bro approved, full review when i get my hands on beta, as i am -serious business- type simmer, but i enjoy semi-serious sims also)

World of Warplanes by wargaming - total shit

Now a little more:

WoPlanes - A persistant dynamic online war on many fronts where tanks, infantry, ships fight alongside each other for the domination of front, the choice of what you attack to switch advantage for one side or another depends on you.

WoWarplanes - rooms like WoT , premium for muniez, arcade shite, do i need to say more?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Does this man speak the truth? I'd like to try one of them (and if the already available one is better, s'all good).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom