Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Xeen party

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What sort of party would you guys recommend to a noob to this game? I've done a bit of reading of the manual, and I have been tossing around a few ideas.

I am thinking of
Half Orc Knight
Dwarven Ninja
Gnomish Archer
Human Ranger
Gnomish Cleric
Elven Sorcerer

What would experienced people suggest? Any good tips for the game? At the moment, I've just been going around Vertigo destroying the slime. I am a little overwhelmed at immediately being put into a large world with no instruction. :)

DaveO

Erudite
Looks good to me. In general, you need a Might character(covered by the Knight), a healer, a sorcerer, and a thief oriented character for the chests(Ninja is best). The other two slots are up to you, though I'd have an Archer for a backup to the sorcerer(sorcerer spells rule this game IIRC). I can't recall the Ranger spells being massively useful since you do have a ton of portal words you can use. I'd take a Barbarian along for the ride, but YMMV.

My best advice is to stick to the first town and clear it out at first. Around level 5-10 you can go to Darkside and get tons of experience fairly quickly. The best skills are Mountaineering and Pathfinding with Jump and Teleportation quite handy Sorcerer spells. I can't give much further general advice, but I do have a handbook handy if you get stuck.

Binary

Liturgist
Isn't ranger and archer a bit redundant? If I remember correctly I had:

Human Knight (go with an Orc anyway)
Dwarf Paladin
Human Ranger
Gnome Thief (or Ninja)
Human Cleric
Elven Sorcerer

TBH it's hard to go wrong on WoX.

Zomg

Arbiter
If you're gonna play all the way through Darkside and be a completionist, you should know that archery and spellcasting eventually stop scaling fast enough to keep up with enemy HP and all your real damage will be done by banging away in melee.

I'd recommend not doing Darkside at all, or at least not skipping back and forth, because it will break any fun you might get out of Clouds.

Nightjed

Liturgist
how are you playing it ? i have the 2cd version and the game locks up during cutscenes (im using dosbox) (it does work if i skip the cutscene but that kind of sucks)

DaveO

Erudite
But the monster hit points are why you need two spellcasters(mostly for Implosion and some of the high level spells). Some monsters can break melee weapons too, so you can't always rely on that. I'd say his party is fine and do agree that it's hard to go completely wrong with the selection. I went with three fighters and spellcasters since that seemed the best way to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom