Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you pay $9.99 for Overlord?

Would you pay for $9.99 for Overlord?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • QC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
http://store.steampowered.com/app/11450/

It's on sale this weekend on Steam.

From what I've read, it's decent...nothing spectacular. I'm unable to try out the demo (mah laptop sucks). I'm expecting something along the lines of Giants: Citizen Kabuto. While I will miss being able to assert my femininity in the game via a half naked chick, alas, it is a compromise I've been used to making.

How does a studio go from developing Age of Wonders to...Overlord?

Anyways, rock the vote yos!

Shoelip

Arbiter
It's not really like Giants at all in terms of game play. You've got little minions which you can order to attack or move things depending on the context. You can also sort of control your horde directly by using a control that makes them follow the mouse. They pick up random shit from the environment and use it as weapons and armor, though as you progress you'll get better stuff.

You get some spells, and you get gold and souls which allows you to buy/upgrade armor and weapons. The overlord is a pretty good fighter, but his health will not recharge if he's hurt like the minions do, so you've gotta decide whether to sit back or whatever. Minions are allot weaker, but can heal quickly. You also have to collect souls in orderto summon them from holes in the ground placed in certain areas. There's a bit of choice in the game where you can choose to be really evil, or sort of nice, and that effects the ending as well as the overlord's appearance, and also a few spells I think. Most of the choices, actually have effects but they're aesthetic.

I bought it for ten dollars and wasn't disappointed. It was a better deal that Far Cry 2 for 50 that's for sure.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Get it, it's gud fun, although the controls are a bit iffy in some places, and it gets a bit frustrating in the later chapters, because your minions are 100% mindless and quite often all of them will get wiped out, because of charging at an ubermonster that's able to take them all out in 2 hits.

But apart from that, it's gud fun. The atmosphere is very Dungeon Keeper-ish, as in, 'it's good to be bad', some quality humour here and there, and you're able to kick the arses of the friggin annoying 'good guys'.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Bad gameplay, bad story, good Overlord (which is bad since he's supposed to be evil) didn't play very far but was not worth the free download. You really shoud try the demo first.

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought it was fun - sure the core gameplay is pretty average but the world-building is decent and the graphics rather nice - plus it doesn't take itself seriously.

I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Heresiarch

Prophet
DefJam101 said:
Not a good game until there is a rape command for your minions. :?

You 3vil s1ck bastard have just said what I want to say.

However, if the game's entertainment is anything close to Dungeon Keeper, I think I might try it someday. I wish someone would make a mature rated game with a truly evil protagonist and plot though.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it's fun until the novelty of minions picking up individual pieces of equipment or making helmets out of pumpkins wears off, whereupon it becomes really boring and as enjoyable as an interactive movie.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Applegate's Breasts said:
e

How does a studio go from developing Age of Wonders to...Overlord?

IIRC they said on the AOW2heaven forums that they felt that they had to make a console action game for financial reasons, I guess AOW2 wasn't that profitable.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
It's not worth pirating. Overlord is fucking terrible. It's really really terrible. Think ultra-light RPG + ultra-light RTS where even though you are "evil", you still go around saving villagers. Gameplay and level design are some of the worst I have ever seen. 90% of the gameplay involves facing in a certain direction and holding down the "attack" button to send your minions off to break shit. I got bored with it in about half an hour. Basically it's every bit the shitty dumbed down experience that you would expect a console game to be.

psycojester

Arbiter
Its like Pikimin done badly, with a storyline written by terry pratchetts daughter.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'm one of those people who think Terry Pratchett's daughter should've stuck to gaming journalism, myself. The writing is not awful, is actually funny in place, but it has that trying-too-hard attempt at humor harking back to her previous effort in Beyond Divinity (with more or less the same tone--I remember thinking the minions sounded strangely familiar). Girl is not her dad, doesn't have even a fraction of his talent, she should stop trying humor.

The game was fun for a while, but the control is absolute shit. Aiming the minions at anything with a mouse is a mini-game all by itself, and a tedious mini-game at that.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I just removed nothing from inventory and the impression seems quite the negative.

The first thing is the bloom is just so damn horrible. It's making my eyes ache so much it's gonna explode.

The next and worst thing is the gameplay is just horrible. Smashing hundreds of barrels and sheep with simply the mouse button held down is some of the worst repetitive yawnfest in gaming. And your minions are all dumbfucks who half of them would bring you money while the other half of them are getting slaughtered, and sending them to the right place to fight is so tedious.

Good things about the game I've seen so far:

1. The first corrupted hero is just teh sick. For a second I thought I was playing Jericho - actually there's a boss with similar look in that game. And the dead scene of him is beyond awesome. Too bad the youtube guys says that's the only interesting corrupted hero.

2. Rose is so damn hawt. Too bad no interactive hawt coffee mode in the game.

I've just read the wikipedia spoiler of the game and I find the plot and setting quite interesting. Too bad the repetitive gameplay and blooooom of doom ruined the game for me.

naarbin

Novice
IMO it's just that type of game, where you can relax before venturing into some creepy-hard-halfnaked-gory-mature RPG (and we all know there was no such game lately). And the blom, burning out eyes? Gosh, some of you people should play a bit longer, not just the first Pleasentville or whatever level, which is infantile indeed. But did someone mention about the defeat of the previous overlord? 'Bout rebuilding your evil tower (and SHy-iit it does look evil :> ) or the mistress, thet you may choose?? Naah, better just dawdle-grumble 'bout the plot (not bad at all), the visuals (but wait, weren't the visuals WORSE in all god freaking games? or were they unimportant? gee, lemme' think...).
Controls are crappy, ok/ But the minions are so coboldish-moronic, vicious and psychotic...

Ok, ok. I like the game. For the minions and the tower :P

Multi-headed Cow

I feel bad. I voted no because I didn't buy it for $10 off of Steam but then I later bought it for $10 for the 360.

I'm sorry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom