Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you pay a girl to play Halo with you?

Tycn

Savant
Yeesh said:
Yeah, that's not going to turn into a cam sex service within 30 days.
30 days is a rather optimistic estimate considering some of them already have nude pics up :smug:

(of course, the ones with pictures are the ones you'd rather not see)

Yeesh

Magister
Tycn said:
Yeesh said:
Yeah, that's not going to turn into a cam sex service within 30 days.
30 days is a rather optimistic estimate considering some of them already have nude pics up :smug:

(of course, the ones with pictures are the ones you'd rather not see)
Damnit, I was going to thoroughly investigate this important story, but then:

2u7r22o.jpg

desocupado

Magister
I have very little faith in humanity, but for our sake, I hope the servers blew up because of people visiting out of morbid curiosity, not genuine interest.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Codex standards for girls are quite different from regular gamers' standards, though...

Server overload be damned (almost every gaming site has had news on this thing - they're almost certainly overwhelmed with folks looking for laughs and curiousity), I'm stll betting that this will flop unless they drastically reduce their prices. Yes kiddies might ask for their parents' credit cards, but that also requires a lower cost. This thing would cost the same per hour as a 2-3 month mmorpg subscription. That's WAY too much for any kid to get away with spending on his folk's credit card.

And the women on the site aren't exactly high-demand material. Moreover, that in itself should tell you something. There's a thread at the escapist where folk are talking about how thick skinned the women on the site will have to be, given that their target demographic will be filled with about 50% abusive moronic teenagers and about 50% monosyllabic types who can't type much more than 'hi. ur pretty. boobs?' It seems like pretty much 90% of the attractive women who they approached (they advertised on some sites for girls who wanted to be paid to play computer games) figured out the same thing, and so they are left with a 'playdate' base as ugly and desperate for positive attention (with a sprinkling of obvious camsex site veterans) as their customers. That won't exactly rake in the cash, nor will it attract more lucratively good-looking women to join up.

And then there's the escapist article on it. The guy had some beta access or something and arranged a game session with one of the few attractive 'playdates'. They played battleship and pool with absolutely zero 'flirtiness' from her - just ordinary games - and she spent half the time talking about her boyfriend. He could also see her boyfriend over her shoulder. I suspect that summarises the approach taken by most of the non-'I'm-so-horrendously-ugly-either-on-the-outside-or-the-inside-that-I-need-some-desperate-stranger-over-the-net-to-say-I'm-sexy' types on the site - they've signed up to get easy cash to play video games, and on their end they aren't under any obligation to do anything but play the game. Hence they'll just pocket the cash, the guy will go away even more desperate and disappointed before googling up a much cheaper camsex/chat site, and there'll be no repeat purchase.

Or I hope. I really hope. Partially because I don't want to believe that there's enough people who are not only so desperate but also so stupid that they think they'll get anything satisfying (even in a purely sexual sense) out of this. But mainly because I'm hoping that humanity hasn't lost its ability to perform basic mathematics: 'cost-of-gamecrushers subtract cost-of-camsex-site = $$$.

At least if this site does take off, I can tearfully insist that I took the high stand and believed that humanity had hope for the future.

Luzur

Good Sir
And then there's the escapist article on it. The guy had some beta access or something and arranged a game session with one of the few attractive 'playdates'. They played battleship and pool with absolutely zero 'flirtiness' from her - just ordinary games - and she spent half the time talking about her boyfriend. He could also see her boyfriend over her shoulder.

now that was classy, i laughed real good when reading that.

Coyote

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
I suspect that summarises the approach taken by most of the non-'I'm-so-horrendously-ugly-either-on-the-outside-or-the-inside-that-I-need-some-desperate-stranger-over-the-net-to-say-I'm-sexy' types on the site - they've signed up to get easy cash to play video games, and on their end they aren't under any obligation to do anything but play the game. Hence they'll just pocket the cash, the guy will go away even more desperate and disappointed before googling up a much cheaper camsex/chat site, and there'll be no repeat purchase.

Yeah, I figured the same thing when I heard that story. The other scenario I can see happening is a few thick-skinned and opportunistic/cynical/financially needy decently-attractive girls who game as a hobby using the site and playing along to generate good reviews/high demand and essentially get paid big bucks to play video games. Then, after a few months, m/-\sterchief decides that lonelygamergirl17's "stringing him along" and throws a fit about all the other guys leaving reviews for her and how he's given her so much and how could she do this to him and so forth, rinse and repeat ad nauseam, resulting in a bunch of even more bitter and socially inept individuals. Especially with the high price, which ensures both that you're gonna be getting only the most desperate people as customers and that they're going to feel more entitled.

Anyway, I agree with the rest of your post (except that I'm cynical enough to expect it to succeed - or if not this, at least some of the copycat sites it'll inevitably spawn). It can't have escaped the notice of company behind the site that this is a profit model pretty much based on preying on the insecurities of lonely, desperate, and probably fairly-often emotionally unstable individuals. Plus, if this succeeds it means that there are enough people out there who are that desperate... so yeah, either way it's pretty indicative of decline.

(Since the main site is unavailable, does anyone know what company that is? Given the amount of attention in the gaming press, I'm curious if it's a gaming company, rather than a camsite company or something like I would have expected.)

Angthoron

Arcane
Coyote said:
(Since the main site is unavailable, does anyone know what company that is? Given the amount of attention in the gaming press, I'm curious if it's a gaming company, rather than a camsite company or something like I would have expected.)

Domain name: GAMECRUSH.COM

Administrative Contact:
WHAMSpot LLC
Anees Iqbal (anees@whamspot.com)
+1.6507541100
Fax:
P.O. Box 1132
Daly City, CA 94017
US

Technical Contact:
WHAMSpot LLC
Anees Iqbal (anees@whamspot.com)
+1.6507541100
Fax:
P.O. Box 1132
Daly City, CA 94017
US

Registrant Contact:
WHAMSpot LLC
Anees Iqbal ()

Fax:
P.O. Box 1132
Daly City, CA 94017
US

Whois-type sites are your friend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom