Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you play turn based or phase based

drunkpriest

Scholar
Which is better and why?

NOVD

Scholar
fizzelopeguss said:
The fuck is phase based?
Combat that is based on combat "phases" rather than turns. Basically it's a real-time system that is cut into distinct segments of a certain duration.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
NOVD said:
fizzelopeguss said:
The fuck is phase based?
Combat that is based on combat "phases" rather than turns. Basically it's a real-time system that is cut into distinct segments of a certain duration.
It isn't every time a variation of RTwP. Phase based implies that there are more than one type of phase which include different activities - most common distinction is: planning phase, when orders are given, and execution phase. Execution may be real time but units can also act in order dependant on their stats like in Wizardry series or in Wasteland.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
fizzelopeguss said:
The fuck is phase based?
Wizardry. Wasteland.

Also:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=21

"Strengths - Phase-Based combat, like its close relation TB, provides tangible phases which can be carefully measured, anticipated and progressed through. The difference lies in the fact that rather than taking turns, combat is rationalised into two phases - planning and execution. Sequential phase based provides very little advantage over standard TB, however a simultaneous execution phase can provide all of the advantages of real time, sidestep most of the flaws in TB, but does come with it's share of problems. More on that a little later, first the advantages. All of the TB advantages apply here, but with the addition of simultaneous actions, which greatly speeds up the TB process, and also helps to satisfy the naysayers who believe TB is unrealistic. "WeGo" PB effectively takes away the abstraction of TB.

Weaknesses - However, as we said before, it's not without problems. The most glaring one is the fact that you are locking in a sequence of actions with no way of altering it on the fly, which can have effects ranging from frustrating to catastrophic. There are solutions, such as allowing the player to explicitly specify interrupts explicitly when they anticipate unforeseeable circumstances or by providing fairly short phases that don't allow the player to dig a hole too deep. This also works to keep the game interesting and interactive, as lengthy execution phases can be harmful to interactivity especially if all actions are predefined and unalterable. The second major problem is how the game handles invalid moves, such as two characters trying to move to the same location simultaneously. However, problematic as PB may sound, it boils down to being more of a challenge to the developer, and with proper design attention most bad points can be addressed effectively. "

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer turnbased. When I let my wizard cast a spell on an enemy to kill him in phase based, and let my warrior attack the same enemy, and the warrior strikes first and almost kills the enemy with a critical hit, then the spell the wizard casts is overkill and would've been better used on some other enemy. Phasebased comes with its problems. You have less control over combat, which might also be a good thing, making it more chaotic/"realistic". I like both, but pure turnbased is my favourite. Like Jagged Alliance 2.

skyway

Educated
Real time is probably the best. Its the most realistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom