Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown!

Alec McCabe

Novice
Any fans of this oldie-but-goodie still around?

Recently rediscovered it thanks to the technology of DOSBox:

http://www.dosbox.com/

... and yes, it's as Jesus-H-Christ difficult and tense as I remember.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Lots of people here like it. I also believe that there is a version out there somewhere that runs the game perfectly on a windows xp computer. No need for tinkering for ages with dosbox. I'll try and locate it.

One of the best games ever. Microprose really were great back then.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Trash said:
Lots of people here like it. I also believe that there is a version out there somewhere that runs the game perfectly on a windows xp computer. No need for tinkering for ages with dosbox.

That's the CE and I wouldn't say it runs perfectly under XP. You need a patch to avoid video problems but that is easily fixed. The main trouble is the game speed that even with slowed CPU causes problems. A shame when you consider that the CE of Terror From The Deep does not have those speed issues.

It's easier to setup than Dosbox though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I solved the gamespeed with the slider in the options screen. It worked perfectly in the CE version (if that's the version that was available from the fansite where I downloaded it) after getting rid of the graphical glitches.

Just put it to speed setting one or two and it should work nicely (you'll get the occasional stutter, but what the heck. UFO isn't about reflexes anyway)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I should have been more precise: the battlescape is not really a problem, it's the geoscape that is. As far as I know the speed option does nothing in the geoscape and things still happen too fast.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ah okay, yeah that was right. Shit, I totally forgot about that one. Well, the geoscape has its very own time mechanism. I just put it to the slowest one possible and it became perfectly playable. Still, it was nerve wrecking at times to slow it down whenever I excited screens like the base building.

Alec McCabe

Novice
For Vista players, though, DOSBox may be the only stable way for now. A patch for vista running was released by the guy who made XcomUtil, but I found it still had performance problems on my computer.

Korgan

Arbiter
Works fine with VMWare under XP. Also, there's a Collector's Edition that runs in Windows more or less natively.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Alec McCabe said:
For Vista players, though, DOSBox may be the only stable way for now. A patch for vista running was released by the guy who made XcomUtil, but I found it still had performance problems on my computer.
A decent TFTD mod:
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=188

X-Com patches for Vista:
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=665

Finally, a remake in Java (haven't got it to work yet, beta):
http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php ... ntry177166

mahdi

Liturgist
It looks like one of those forums with an overuse of smilies. No thanks. Also, I remember visiting that site like 5 years ago, and it doesn't look like they've made much progress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom