Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM developers are hurting my brian

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RK47 said:
rc2.jpg

:salute:

Burn in hell, along with the JA remake faggots.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
RK47's post was quite subtle, but clever.

There are plenty of mainstream style shooters that sell miserably, and plenty of niche style strategy games with high rates of success.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Kaanyrvhok said:
Mangoose said:
Actually it makes perfect sense in a $$$ point of view.

I dont know. Generic shooter in a crowded genre vs a mid profile strategy game in a lean genre.
Tit for tat.
From an $$$ point of view, doesn't matter how generic it is and how crowded the genre is. Gameplay doesn't matter at all. All they need to do is market better than everyone else, and being a generic shooter actually helps grab the initial attention of CoDBRos.

:M

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Mangoose said:
From an $$$ point of view, doesn't matter how generic it is and how crowded the genre is. Gameplay doesn't matter at all. All they need to do is market better than everyone else, and being a generic shooter actually helps grab the initial attention of CoDBRos.

:M

The only thing I agree with you on is marketing but if you are generic its harder to market. Its easier to market something that is at least creative like Bioshock or Prey which crack the market easier than wannbe Halos and CoDs. X-Com's marekting is already in the hole because they pissed off its previous fanbase and if you check out teamxbox even people that have never heard of X-Com would have prefered a strategy game. The reaction to X-Com is of a greater reject than the Counter Strike game in Shadowrun skin that Microsoft released about four years ago.

I will say this about shooters. More so than the RPG genre good games have a better chance of selling. If X-Com is a great shooter (which I dont expect it to be) it will help sell the game more than if it was a great RTS however if it sucks or if its mediocre marketing wont save it. You cant even sell a shitty Star Wars shooter.

Where I really disagree with you is that crowded genres matter. One of the reasons Morrowind and Oblivion sold so well is that there were no other RPGs on the Xbox and no western RPGs on the PS 3. And if you look at sells data when shooters bomb the bomb a lot harder than strategy games. Strategy games are almost guaranteed to sell 50 to 75K on the Xbox and PS 3 each which is about how well a shooter sells when it bombs. The thing is it does it at twice the budget.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The industry should overflow the buffer of decline by going full circle and having Volition create a reboot of X-COM Interceptor where you manage the air defense portion of the X-COM initiative, showcasing the till-now unsung heroes who bravely went forth in human made jetfighters against the alien threat. A multinational tale of heavily stat based pilot and part-by-part plane customisation, development and management, desperate behind the curtain secret weapons research and testing, using inadequate radar technology to hunt down and safely shoot down a scout UFO without damaging the elerium, and the harrowing trials of having to take on a alien battleship with three jets and one hour before it reaches Poland and the xeno scum take away all the world's potatoes...forever.

also there can be a base turret minigame once in a while where you pop some moles who show up on your hyperwave decoder minimap radar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom