Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenonauts - Another X-COM Contender

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

<p>As likaq <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43145" target="_blank">pointed out</a>, there's a new kid on the X-COM block: <a href="http://www.xenonauts.com/index.php" target="_blank"><strong>Xenonauts</strong></a>.</p><blockquote><p>Xenonauts puts the player in control of an organisation tasked with defending the planet against extraterrestrial invasion. Battle the aliens with your interceptors in the skies above Earth, or attack them on the ground with your elite strike teams in tense turn-based squad combat. Build up your bases and manage your budgets carefully to keep your men and vehicles well-equipped and the aliens at bay, buying yourself enough time to research and unlock the secrets of the extraterrestrial technology. This is strategy on a grand scale; tactician, commander and quartermaster - you must master them all if you are to succeed in defeating the alien menace. Humanity's very survival rests on your shoulders.

There will be limitless replayability on offer. Advanced AI will keep the player challenged at every stage of the game, and with randomly generated battlefields for every mission and numerous distinctive alien races it will be impossible to guess what lies around a corner or on the other side of a door. A battlefield cover system and fully destructible scenery means that every battle will unfold differently, while providing the player endless tactical possibilities. Missions will be interesting and varied too, with multiple victory conditions and occasional secondary objectives keeping the combat from becoming stale and repetitive.

The game is heavily inspired by the classic X-Com series of strategy games that arrived in the mid-90s courtesy of the now-defunct Microprose. It is a labour of love for many of the team, all of whom are big X-Com fans, but we have decided to try and reinvent the game rather than recreate it. The result is a game that is neither a sequel to X-Com nor a remake. We have taken our franchise in a different direction, retaining the core mechanics that made the original so compelling but updating the settings and features of the game to fit in with the modern age. Gone are the near-future stylings of Xenonauts' forerunners, replaced by a militaristic Cold War setting and a retro-inspired art style.

Xenonauts will be single-player only and is presently only in development only for the PC. Ports will be considered closer to release date, which is currently slated for Christmas 2010.
</p></blockquote>

spectre

Arcane
Ok, they've written up a pretty nice pr blurb that pulls all the right strings for me, but so far I've seen just a screenshot, which looks like a well thought-out blueprint (although a bit fugly) with no tangible assets.

Now, don't get me wrong, I wish them best of luck and if the game is any good I'll be the first to get it (cause I've been having that xcom itch lately), it just screams vaporware for me.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
spectre said:
Ok, they've written up a pretty nice pr blurb that pulls all the right strings for me, but so far I've seen just a screenshot, which looks like a well thought-out blueprint (although a bit fugly) with no tangible assets.

Now, don't get me wrong, I wish them best of luck and if the game is any good I'll be the first to get it (cause I've been having that xcom itch lately), it just screams vaporware for me.

They mentioned in one of their posts that they didn't intend to publish any info this soon, but the new "XCom" game provided too good an opportunity.

Apparently the game is in samewhat working form, but largely using placeholder (stolen borrowed) art assets.

Tails

Arbiter
[ Announcement ]
So the game can be pretty ignored until they release something showing a proper progress. Too many times I've seen announced project which either fall dead on ground or have such slow progress, that release date could be set for 2050.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
^ listen to this man. Putting up a website with a bit of text and 1 screen made from BMNG is no more than one days work.

Otherwise, count me interested in any a new TB game twith an open, non mission-based structure.

spectre

Arcane
Putting up a website with a bit of text and 1 screen made from BMNG is no more than one days work.

True dat, they can even brag all they want about the design docs being done and all that, fuck that, I've seen hundreds of people with "complete design docs".

Untill I see some assets and AI its still vapourware. That's where the real work is done, coding and modelling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom