Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I never understood goofy RPGs like Bard's Tale. Their "humor" is so generic and trite that it makes you stop and think why this even exists and if something is wrong with you for not enjoying it. It's so unfunny, it causes an existential crisis.

A turd falls on the guy. Queue in laughter...

The only good comedy-focused RPGs from what I've seen are the Yakuza games, and only because those games are committed to being as silly and over the top as possible.

Comedy is probably one of the hardest things to write, and video game writers generally aren't very good writers.

notpl

Arbiter
this seem similar to rustler? just checked and its same publisher.
I wanted to ask about this as well, but Rustler was so forgettable that I couldn't remember its name nor even find it by googling a general description.

Spike

Educated
The only good comedy-focused RPGs from what I've seen are the Yakuza games, and only because those games are committed to being as silly and over the top as possible.

Comedy is probably one of the hardest things to write, and video game writers generally aren't very good writers.
That Naheulbeuk game seems funny and the Codex likes it.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

good writers write novels and become published authors. good screenwriters make bank in the entertainment industry. bad ones can't get published and find writing jobs wherever they can, like writing for video games. it's why pretty much a disconcerting number of games have godsawful writing, because the writers suck because their fucking hacks.

notpl

Arbiter
"video game writer" should not be a job that anyone has and should instead be a secondary contribution after more important skills like coding and modeling

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
played the demo, it IS rustler.
If you ever wanted to play silly lotr in gta engine... this is it.

I bet creator did watch lotr extended edition recently

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Codex seem to like the game but not necessarily for the humour. I only played it for a few hours (I want to continue) but for me it is a decent combat oriented CRPG with cartoony graphics and slightly cringe humour. Combat is what sells the game.

Anachronox, discussed not long ago on Codex, had some genuinely funny moments and characters but it was all an over the top comedy. One character in the party was a miniaturized planet called Democratus. Overall the humour was hit and miss but iirc more hit than miss.

Spike

Educated

Codex seem to like the game but not necessarily for the humour. I only played it for a few hours (I want to continue) but for me it is a decent combat oriented CRPG with cartoony graphics and slightly cringe humour. Combat is what sells the game.

Anachronox, discussed not long ago on Codex, had some genuinely funny moments and characters but it was all an over the top comedy. One character in the party was a miniaturized planet called Democratus. Overall the humour was hit and miss but iirc more hit than miss.
I see. Anachronox sounds rad, too bad I won't get to it until I am done with a ludicrous amount of other classics to play.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
looks absolutely generic

the only good thing is that movement is independent from targetting

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

dungeon of naheulbeuk

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

dungeon of naheulbeuk
Dungeon of Naheulbeuk was worth playing in spite of the French attempts at comedy, though it did have a few worthwhile bits of humor:

FuJFKYk.png
fK5VPc7.png
JVgyseV.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom