Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your own multiplayer shooter

Ezekiel

Arcane
How would you design a multiplayer shooter if you wanted to balance what is enjoyable for you with what would attract players and maintain a healthy community? List every aspect that comes to mind. Movement, camera, matchmaking, customization, HUD...

hajro

Arbiter
Tribes but give it to a competent non shitrez dev. Also, keep baserape.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
How would you design a multiplayer shooter if you wanted to balance what is enjoyable for you with what would attract players and maintain a healthy community? List every aspect that comes to mind. Movement, camera, matchmaking, customization, HUD...
I would make a proper Unreal Tournament sequel in the exact same style as the original game, instead of this shitty bulky style that the sequels share with Gears of War and the like. Essentially a carbon copy of the first game in a modern engine that retains the crisp mechanics of the original. But I have no idea if that would attract players nowadays. I think most fell short of it or didn't sell, like TOXIKK.

Falksi

Arcane
Hellfire/Eliminate Down style multishot setup, gear changes, rolling deaths rather than a checkpoint system, Forgotten Worlds "link-play" power up incentive.

deuxhero

Arcane
Since market trends show gun customization is big, and that third person action games where you play as a underage girl are big, clearly the solution is to make it
  • third person
  • where the player character is a customizable young girl
  • each gun is a "friend" who transforms into a gun during gameplay
  • customizing your gun changes both the clothes/hair of her human form

Just Locus

Educated
A Quake 3-style fast-paced gameplay coupled with a customizable player character with unlockable cosmetics that are unlocked through a virtual currency calculated through stats earned through each game (E.G If you had '39' scores, the game would convert it to double that amount).

It would include a vast arsenal of creative and powerful weapons, from rocket launchers and railguns to plasma cannons. Experiment with unconventional weaponry like gravity guns or laser swords.

My (admittedly small) list of modes would be:
- A mode similar to "Mannpower" from TF2 where there'll be power-ups scattered across the map with the caveat that whatever powerups spawn is random to discourage camping and experienced players dunking hard on new players not through skill as it should be, but through sheer memorization and the inherent advantage that they've played the maps before and will know where the powerups are beforehand.
- Capture the Flag No.
- Deathmatch; The bread & butter of Quake-style games, this one is a no-brainer.
- Prototype; This one will be a rotating mode that is essentially the developers' playground to test and try out new modes and will ask the players after playing a match through it whether they liked it or not and if there'll be further feedback (If enough players vote for the mode to be added on, it'll become an official mode), It's a mode that usually rewards experimentation and gives clearer feedback to the developers on what the fanbase wants.

A community server browser and a singleplayer mode with intelligent bots that reward players with half the amount of XP you get in multiplayer to discourage the players who farm XP with Easy-difficulty bots but also not leave out the players who legitimately want to play but just simply cannot due to unfortunate circumstances.

Of course, I'm not under the delusion that I'm going to one day fulfill all of these ideas or that some studio out there is going to do all of these stuff including more lol. Ideas are easy to come up with, it's the designing part that requires talent, and I'm not talented enough to make all these ideas come to fruition one day, it's also easy to let the "Ideas guy" take over when thinking of ways to design a game, which unfortunately makes you privy to fall into the pit of coming up with unfeasible or unworkable ideas simply because it "sounded cool" when said, but awful when written and played, anyways, there are my ideas for what I would do as a base for my multiplayer shooter.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't play multiplayer games, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt but:
  • I'd want to be able to run my own server, be it temporary in-game or via a dedicated server (obviously i mean real server, not just some developer/publisher machine they pretend to be my own)
    • Obviously this doesn't mean the developer shouldn't provide their own, i just want to be able to use my server, a friend's private server or the server of a community i am part of - and that even after the developer/publisher decides to move on
  • I'd like bots so that i can play by myself
  • I'd like it to be moddable with community made maps, gameplay mods, mutators (or whatever you want to call them), etc
So basically what you'd get in the days of Quake 1/2/3, Unreal Tournament, etc. TBH the fact that multiplayer games are so controlled these days by their developers/publishers make me lose any little interest i had myself.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Futuristic gladiator-like setting in a gigantic megastructure in space to keep maps from being too grounded and mundane. The host is a fat alien and people (mostly mercenaries) are his toys. They each have personalities, and the player can taunt by pressing the "pick up" button when there is nothing to pick up. Might seem useless, but I have used this in another game to let others know where I was in nearly empty matches, instead of wasting ammo trying to draw them out. No character creation. Toon (but not kiddy) art style, because multiplayer games are silly. Mostly projectile weapons that look logical. Medium-sized arenas, each with layers. Some moving platforms. A couple of lived in areas rebuilt for fighting.

No radar of any kind. No nametags over the characters giving away their locations. No glowing reticle when aiming at them. You tell who the enemy is by the paint thrown/wiped on them before battle. What those colors are would depend on the environments. No surround sound, because most people will play without and be disadvantaged. Friendly fire would always be active and deathmatch modes would have tickets that deplete.

Third-person camera, light but nuanced movement, a slide lasting a few feet when holding the crouch button during a full run, a melee button that makes you swing your gun when on your feet and kick when jumping or sliding, the ability to kick off walls (as well as other players). The full run is not just forward-based; you can dash in any direction and keep shooting where the camera is pointed. The camera shakes a little more in a full run, not for realism reasons, but to handicap their aim and keep everyone from dashing endlessly. In the default movement, the standard slow video game run, the aiming is totally fine. When you dash backwards into a slide, the character will throw themselves onto their back so that they can keep shooting. Rising from prone would not be too fast, or players would be sliding around nonstop. When prone, the player can move sideways by holding aim (right mouse button), but this zooms in the camera. I think Max Payne 3 balanced the default camera with the "aim" (right mouse button) camera (and shoulder swapping) well. Neither was too close nor too far. I would model mine after that, obviously closing in as you move into tighter spaces. You would be able to lie down by holding crouch, like in Metal Gear Solid. Tapping crouch from a full run would make you perform a roll. Pressing crouch and jump at the same time from a full run makes you shootdodge in the style of John Woo but without the slow motion of Max Payne.

To use a grenade or trap, you first need to find one in the environment, then select it with the "grenade" button (which puts away your gun) and finally press the shoot button. You can't just lob one instantly.

Everybody enters the match with a single random weapon. They can pick up the weapons of defeated players and better weapons are also placed randomly on the map over time. They can carry two slinged weapons and two pistols, which can be seen on their character so that the others know what they are up against. You move a little bit slower with one long weapon and then a little slower still with two. There is a different animation set for each level of encumbrance. You can drop weapons.

Pistol/SMG bullets and shotgun pellets don't just disappear at a distance, like in almost every shooter. They just become weaker and stray more off their target. Shotguns have a medium effective range, meaning way farther than in most shooters, with a narrower spread.

You gain a little health by killing. The only way to recover health is to kill. Let's pretend it gives you adrenaline to keep going.

Three types of suppressors can be picked up: sidearm, rifle and shotgun. The suppressors heat up with repeated fire, glowing red before you need to give them time to cool off. Continuing to shoot will just make them break, and then they disappear.

Female characters are available, but they have lower hitpoints and weaker melees. I think this would prevent there being a bizarre number of women in the battle. Tradeoff is smaller hitboxes on the women.

Destruction (mostly cosmetic, but not only), physics and blood and (not overdone) gore are essential. I'm tired of shooters being so stiff, of characters and furniture not being thrown around by explosions. Send me flying and smashing into walls. Be over the top with it. There was a time in Max Payne 3 that I shootdodged away from a rocket, flew over a bus and stood up to immediately gun down two players. Not a good multiplayer game by any means, but I miss those satisfying moments when the game was still fairly active.

Modes:
-Team deathmatch in which the other team's tickets need to be depleted.
-Free-for-all.
-A one versus all mode that pits beginners and bad players against seasoned players with decent kill ratios. The target has the same hitpoints as everybody else. This is more fun than it sounds for the hunted. Think I've only had it happen once with equal hitpoints on both sides. Was weird how the three players just silently decided in a free-for-all that they would gang up on me.
-Some kind of objective-based mode with mixed goals.
-Elimination. No respawns.

A map-maker, because eventually players will grow tired of what's available.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom