Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zero Punction rips on SSBB, much discussion ensures

afewhours

Scholar
Hmmm. He loses some points for professing an interest in Condemned 2. The original was stupid enough, but the sequel went several steps further, turning the protagonist from an everyman detective into a DaRK BaDA5S ANT1-H3RO! Yippee. Then again, he liked Silent Hill as well, so I guess that must be his bag.

Still, Yahtzee is cool.

Fez

Erudite
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Not much point in writing anything here this week, everyone's already fucked off to their favourite Nintendo forum to talk about how I'm not a 'real' reviewer.

From that review. I guess he saw this one coming.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I rather enjoy yahtzee's weekly flash videos even before he was taken in by the escapist and i even enjoyed his review of the witcher (blasphemy i know) but lets be honest he does his reviews for the comedic impact and with the exception of the witcher, beyond good and evil and psychonauts, games i purchased before i ever saw his reviews, there has not been a game that i have ever considered buying or not buying based on his reviews i just watch them to have a laugh, shake my head in the case of the witcher review and move on.

Lurkar

Scholar
Jaime Lannister said:
Looks like the Codex is still butthurt about his Witcher review. He is still better (well, more entertaining) than all of the "professional" reviewers since he actually reviews the games' aspects instead of just saying, "It's really good, but play it for yourself" which is just a paid advertisement.

That's not much of an advertisement for him. He's better then the "professional" reviewers? It's like saying "Hey, buck up, it's better then being shot in the face."

I'm going to agree with Psychojester and the others here. Yahtzee is there to provide laughs, and he does. The problem comes when people try to take him seriously.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Lurkar said:
Jaime Lannister said:
Looks like the Codex is still butthurt about his Witcher review. He is still better (well, more entertaining) than all of the "professional" reviewers since he actually reviews the games' aspects instead of just saying, "It's really good, but play it for yourself" which is just a paid advertisement.

That's not much of an advertisement for him. He's better then the "professional" reviewers? It's like saying "Hey, buck up, it's better then being shot in the face."

Still, I usually check ZP as well as the Codex for educated opinions about games.

A user named cat

afewhours said:
Hmmm. He loses some points for professing an interest in Condemned 2. The original was stupid enough, but the sequel went several steps further, turning the protagonist from an everyman detective into a DaRK BaDA5S ANT1-H3RO! Yippee.
Condemned had great promise, so I wouldn't put someone down for showing interest in a sequel. Problem with the first one was that It just became very repetitive about halfway in and lost its charm. But playing the first few hours and experiencing the intense as fuck first person combat was refreshing. More FPS games could learn a thing or two about how melee should be done. Haven't played the second one but it sounds like they didn't bother improving on the base formula, just instead adding in silly bullshit which is unfortunate.

Xi

Arcane
This guy is pretty good comic relief, but I usually find that he doesn't like anything anyway. He's not trying to give you a review, he's trying to entertain you, and the review aspect is merely a way that Escapist can justify putting it on their website. In fact, he would probably fit right in at the codex, if he actually liked RPGs. Just more reason not to read Escapist content, just watch this guy make fun of a game. There website is hardly about escapism, lol.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Problem with the first one was that It just became very repetitive about halfway in and lost its charm. But playing the first few hours and experiencing the intense as fuck first person combat was refreshing.
Condemned is easily one of my favorite FPS. Never seen more visceral melee combat. ALso, great suspence and atmosphere -- that mansion was actually scary (not the stupid way scary as in bloodlines ocean house -- i still can't understand what's so "scary" about it, except for the first object that is flinged at you, after whcih it becomes too repetitive). Also, the checkpoint save-system is a blessing -- I really longed for this in many PC action games. Highest diff setting + checkpoint saving + fun melee system = lots of challenge. And the choreography... oh the choreography. Just looking at those ninja guys at the end was rewarding, let alone bashing their skulls with a crowbar. Damnit, Condemned is an adrenaline-fest.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Atrokkus said:
Problem with the first one was that It just became very repetitive about halfway in and lost its charm. But playing the first few hours and experiencing the intense as fuck first person combat was refreshing.
Condemned is easily one of my favorite FPS. Never seen more visceral melee combat. ALso, great suspence and atmosphere -- that mansion was actually scary (not the stupid way scary as in bloodlines ocean house -- i still can't understand what's so "scary" about it, except for the first object that is flinged at you, after whcih it becomes too repetitive). Also, the checkpoint save-system is a blessing -- I really longed for this in many PC action games. Highest diff setting + checkpoint saving + fun melee system = lots of challenge. And the choreography... oh the choreography. Just looking at those ninja guys at the end was rewarding, let alone bashing their skulls with a crowbar. Damnit, Condemned is an adrenaline-fest.
Condemned was definitely a good atmospheric game. I haven't played the 2nd one yet, but what I've seen from videos it looks pretty retarded. Slow motion, shitty multiplayer, emo anit hero protagonist, a heavy reliance on guns...Just seems like it wouldn't be as good as thef irst.

4too

Arcane
One,Two,Three--Sing: Tell-Me-What-Want. What-You-Really-Real

One,Two,Three--Sing: Tell-Me-What-Want. What-You-Really-Really-Want...

The Codex, where 'The King' has not yet ' left the building'!
kingcomrade:
Now he's a satirist? Why not just say what you really want to say instead of coming up with all these twisty twirly justifications of what reviewers supposedly should or should not do or be.

[Brilliant rhetorical straight line!]

... Why not just say what you really want to say ... what reviewers supposedly should or should not do or be.

Games, game reviews, game reviewers,
poured into a crystalline critical glass,
examined in heated pressure to critical mass.

To demystify

To exemplify

To ramify

To ratify

To codify

Teh Codex!

////////////////

I have resistance to the television format.

I have developed a resistance to the flash format.

Flash video, flash marketing.

Even when on broadband,
the waiting, the waiting, the waiting for all the web page commercial content to load up,
and for my eyes to sort out, sort out, sort out, and trash all the web page commercial content is --> too much like work.

This Zero-P is now just filler for another commercial vehicle, the compromised conveyance of used car salesmen and vegetable slicer dicers. The web is TV junior and Z-P just another come on - another - hook.

Some glory hole Z-P as 'Star Trek' The Next Incarceration, others may only see The Last Remake Of --> 'My Mother The Car'.

With all, all, all, this commercial content we pay to view, this commercial content can not be separated from the message.
The teased cat sees the hand dangling the string. Dorothy and Toto see the man behind the screen.

Go to 'The Escapist' and witness Zero-P?
On dial up and basic DSL, I feel at the bottom of a conceptual gravity well. Traveling from page to page, like anticipating earth 'escape' velocity in a hot air balloon.

To achieve some web spaces it is too much like work. Each 'delta T' paced in single unit digit mono syllable, accounting each pumping heart beat, each rasping breath.
Training for future treadmill exercise, those nex gen games.
Either by raw physics or mean street expedition, it seems a thankless job that doesn't net a pay off.

I discover a refined entertainment by showing up at the Codex and reading this discussion of Zero-P, and only confinement -- entrapment -- at 'The Escapist'.

The Codex, where 'The King' has not yet ' left the building'!

4too

A user named cat

Atrokkus, how far into the game was there a mansion? Maybe I didn't even play it halfway through then, I think I made it as far as the metro station before growing bored of the game's monotonous nature. That aspect reminded me too much of F.E.A.R., but not as insanely formulaic as running around the same office building fighting the same exact enemy and cycling between action/horror sequences.

Disconnected

Scholar
Brother None said:
But it does highlight why Yahtzee's importance is pretty disproportional, in the sense that it's larger than a satirist's function should be. In an industry like ours, we should be happy with every person willing to kick up dirt, whether it's sites like GB/Watch/Codex who try to review more critically, or whether it's a satirist poking fun at everyone. He has his function, and I'm glad he's there. The fact that the once-intelligent Escapist crowd has been overrun by idiots who can't fucking tell a joke from an opinion doesn't change that.
Certainly, though to be fair, good satire are jokes and opinions, not one or the other. As for The Escapist being overrun by idiots, it's hardly surprising if that's the case. It's not like there's 50 different Yahtzees out there, or even 2. Personally I didn't know The Escapist existed until they hired the guy & I'm guessing the same is true for a lot of their regular users.

... Did I just call myself an idiot?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
He comes here rarely, but when he does, it's beautiful.

He's an intellectual titan! Like Nicolai. <3 <3 <3

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Like Nicolai
notamused.jpg

Lurkar

Scholar
I will say this - despite whatever thoughts I have about this or his other reviews, fuck me if he wasn't completely correct on Mother 3.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Anyway, discussing Yahtzee from the POV of how funny he is:

I think he's started to repeat some of his jokes over and over. One of his most predictable jokes will be "This game has teh racism lolol". I keep hearing it in every second review he makes.

But nonetheless, I got a big laugh from his "If you thought the answer was the Witcher, then you're wrong, because you can get that from your local game store, idiot!" That was pure genius.

Overall I'd say that while Yahtzee does have unfunny moments from time to time, once in a while, he does make some devastatingly hilarious statements. His Medal Of Honor review is amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom