Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
The original was like that.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Is this game stuck at one resolution? I don't want to play at fullscreen, but the window is too small otherwise.
There's a couple ways to handle this with the EE. The game will always render the world in your desktop (or main monitor's) resolution, but you can optionally scale the UI or not, and zoom in/out if you don't like controlling tiny ants at 1920x1080. Of course the suggestion of letting us pick a resolution to play in was rejected as of BG:EE, but you still can. You just have to change your main monitor/desktop's resolution, and the game will then play in that resolution.

Personally, for a widescreen 24" monitor, I think the IE games look best at 1280 wide or 1440 wide, with zoom disabled and UI scaling disabled. That's functionally equivalent to installing the Widescreen mod for the original IE games and selecting a reasonable resolution in which you can still see the characters and map art.

If you want to be less annoyed at manually changing the resolution to/from those values when you start/exit the game, there's a useful utility called Display Changer. It lets you change resolution using a command line control, and make it so that when a program is closed, it automatically reverts.

To launch IWD and have the resolution change automatically, just launch it using a batch file.
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dc64cmd.exe" -width=1440 -height=900 -depth=32 "G:\games\Steam\steamapps\common\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\icewind.exe"

That makes it so that it changes my desktop res, I can play IWD at a not-stupid resolution (with UI scaling and zoom disabled, via the in-game options), and as soon as I exit IWD, my desktop's normal resolution is restored automatically. To set it up for yourself, paste a variant of that into a new text file and save it as .BAT instead of .TXT. Launch the .bat instead of the game.

Not ideal, but I hope it helps

Severian Silk

Part of the reason I want to play the game in a window is so that I don't have to mess with my resolution. I don't want the display to change every time I ALT+TAB to a different application, and I don't want my desktop icons to get moved all over the place. No deal.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Part of the reason I want to play the game in a window is so that I don't have to mess with my resolution. I don't want the display to change every time I ALT+TAB to a different application, and I don't want my desktop icons to get moved all over the place. No deal.
oh my bad, you want to play windowed. Doesn't it launch in a resizable window if you've disabled fullscreen? Or do you want to have a window of one size, and the game rendered at some other resolution and just enlarged to that window?

edit: for win7 at least, icon positions are saved and revert after desktop resolution goes back to normal.

Severian Silk

oh my bad, you want to play windowed. Doesn't it launch in a resizable window if you've disabled fullscreen?
I didn't know this. Thanks!

[edit]

Crap! Moving the mouse to the edge of the screen does not move the camera. This won't work.

agris

Arcane
Patron
oh my bad, you want to play windowed. Doesn't it launch in a resizable window if you've disabled fullscreen?
I didn't know this. Thanks!

[edit]

Crap! Moving the mouse to the edge of the screen does not move the camera. This won't work.
I understand, I'm picky too. Try the Borderless Gaming program. It has an option to lock the cursor inside a window: Options -> Use Mouse Lock Hotkey. Don't even add the game to Borderless Gaming's favorites, just have it running when you launch IWD:EE and when you hit scroll-lock, it'll keep your mouse trapped in the IWD:EE game window.

Now you've got a cursor-locked window that isn't the size of your desktop when you use the mouse lock hotkey!

Last edited:

Severian Silk

If I drop some loot somewhere, will the game remember the location?

I dropped off some Yeti hide at the tree town but when I came back to pick it up, I couldn't find it.

pippin

I don't know about the EEs, but IWD2 would take away your loot if you just left it there (afte resting or leaving locations). Dunno if they implemented that in IWDEE, although they should've.

Severian Silk

Does it matter who is holding my loot when I try to sell it? Do I get better prices with some characters versus others?

Also, does the healing offered by temples heal the whole party or just one character?

Theldaran

Liturgist
I at least get better prices from some vendors than from others. Also, there's the realistic but annoying feature that every vendor at Kuldahar specializes in a kind of item.

The healings are one per character. There was a massive healing for the party (Greater Restoration) in BG2, but I haven't used it in IWDEE.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm too much of an assburger to finish the incompetent beamdog versions of IE games. When I learned that the dialogue with the Seer is bugged and I don't get the bonus stat-check lines and will miss the sweet 420k bonus exp I ragequit.

pippin

Does it matter who is holding my loot when I try to sell it? Do I get better prices with some characters versus others?

Also, does the healing offered by temples heal the whole party or just one character?

Charisma and -I think- alignment were factors, if I remember correctly.
Temples generally have an interface where you select the spells you need and then apply to every character. Man, I should play IWD again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melcar

Arcane
For stores if I recall it's whoever is your "leader" character (dude at the front spot). The store discount due to charisma modifiers apply only to him/her.

jungl

Augur
beamdog version is the inferior version. All the class kits ruin the fun of itemization in the game. Wheres the fun in finding gear to turn your archer into a machine gun of death that has so many attacks per round and does stupendous damage like he wielding a 50 cal when I can settle and make a archer kit. Ice wind dale is the best dungeon crawler infinity engine game and its best experienced playing the original with some resolution mod. Kits just feel too much like 3rd edition and beyond bullshit.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Kits are actually doing a good job at spicing up the boring character progression of IE games as well as making some completely pointless classes (ranger, paladin, bard, single class thief) viable and interesting. The problem with them in BG and IWD EEs is that beamdog lacks the will and/or talent and so their addition is a big clusterfuck, with some of them being horrible for huge parts of the game, some being way too strong and some honest "I really don't know what I'm doing" added on top, because everyone will be excited about level drain immunity in a game that doesn't feature level draining.

Severian Silk

I'm happy that IWDEE at least is able to ALT+TAB properly with no hiccups, and can run in the background. A small positive, I guess.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I've made an effort of visiting official beamdog forums. Nice to see they're doing their best to completely avoid answering questions about updating IWD EE.

It's almost two years since release now. I guess taking a couple of years to bring re-relases of 15yo games to being as bug free as they were with their original patches remains a reasonable timeframe for this wonderful company.

pippin

There was no real reason to release the new versions at all. They aren't even going to release them on consoles, which is the reason why games get "remastered" these days.

jungl

Augur
you'd have to make a rant about why are there no trans dragons? to get their attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom