Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Shadenuat

Arcane
I did a prestigious thing in iwd and memorised on my fighter/wiz frontliner dimension door for whole game for bugmaneuvring :shittydog:

Does this problem not exist in the originals?
There are two problems that exist relating to movement in the IE games. I was unsure of which you were referring to. Put short, there had always been occasional hangups when going through doors or up/downstairs in Infinity Engine games. This is due to characters moving in close formation who are commanded to interact with the same "object" which is the invisible zone transfer point. 2 or more characters wedge up against each other preventing either of them from physically touching it and start jittering in place. It was always like this and it's not really a bug per se. Reissuing the command, or selecting one and manually moving it out of the way will often fix this.

The second problem was introduced in the remasters, where party members will somehow get stuck inside each other (anywhere) and be unable to move even if there's plenty of room. Either way, Ctrl+J fixes the issue neatly because teleporting rearranges the party formation back to default, as if you just entered a zone, albeit a little closer packed depending on space.
I see, so this is not a Beamdog problem --- I'm experiencing the first problem. Silly devs. There is no reason whatsoever for the characters to even have collision. Just get them to stand with a little bit of a distance to each other instead.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The first "problem" is solved by moving a character an inch to the side once in a blue moon. It doesn't make you unable to enter houses in Kuldahar. Dim-wittedness confirmed

There is no reason whatsoever for the characters to even have collision. Just get them to stand with a little bit of a distance to each other instead.
There is one reason I can think of offhand to have collision and that's to allow for natural choke points in the terrain to be utilized. This goes both ways, big monsters will jam doors preventing a lot of the smaller foes from passing. A well placed fighter can hold the door, while caster can lob spells through the opening. It's quite realistic in this way and some of the IE games, perhaps all of them, even have nudging to get at chests and such. Sometimes the space just doesn't allow for it though. The only downside is the irksome comedic skit of two football players trying to go through a door at the same time playing out a little too often. The party AI unfortunately was not programmed with manners.

There is no reason whatsoever for the characters to even have collision. Just get them to stand with a little bit of a distance to each other instead.
There is one reason I can think of offhand to have collision and that's to allow for natural choke points in the terrain to be utilized. This goes both ways, big monsters will jam doors preventing a lot of the smaller foes from passing. A well placed fighter can hold the door, while caster can lob spells through the opening. It's quite realistic in this way and some of the IE games, perhaps all of them, even have nudging to get at chests and such. Sometimes the space just doesn't allow for it though. The only downside is the irksome comedic skit of two football players trying to go through a door at the same time playing out a little too often. The party AI unfortunately was not programmed with manners.
I think then the characters should collided with enemies and vice versa, but not with eachother. Enemies should still be able to collide with other enemies, probably. Ofc, a better pathfinding system which could avoid bugs like this + collision would be a better solution.

Krivol

Magister
yes, it's not easy to replicate, I had it once in ilmater temple. the sprites basicaly overlay on top of each other, and from then on, characters are stuck forever and can't move.
a few other times it was same but eventually they would get unstuck if you move every character one by one out.
The problem is characters collide with each other when they are doing 'move action'. So if you have a party stuck in one place, choose them all and ask them to do nothing (cross icon IIRC) then move them one by one from clusterfuck.

Beamdog turns everything they touch into shit...

I played about 5 hours of this today. It is an incredibly comfortable experience, with how little I have to care about dialogue and NPCs, and can just go on epic dungeon crawls, no questions asked. That being said, I really don't find D&D 2 ed. all that interesting. There's just so little interactivity and it makes gameplay a bit boring and repetitive. Still, I derive a lot of pleasure from the dungeons, so I will probably finish the game. It gave me a lot of appreciation for newer games in the genre, especially with how better I think their rulesets are in terms of moment-to-moment gameplay.

Current party is: sorcerer, barbarian, fighter, cleric, ranger, lizard

Here, I encountered that collision bug:

akaghOw.jpg

Radiane

Cipher
I´m trying an IWD EE run now, after having this game in my library for some time, the current version of 2.6.6.0 seems to be the current up to date for quite a while now.

Among the first things that catched my attention is how the biographies are messed up. I created a party and while one character has its standard biography -appropriate for the class- the others in my party have either no text ("this place was intentionelly left blank") or have the biography of Gorion´s Ward wtf? How can something like this happen anyway??

Now, in the EE version they seem to have added the reputation counter you can see in the character sheets. As far as i remember this was not possible to check in the original. Why does the party not gain any reputation increase after freeing the villagers from the first floor of Dragon´s Eye? Wouldn´t that be one of the perfect places where you can get such an increase? Now i do realize that it´s not a bug (supposedly), but rather an attempt to stay close to the original game, but why put the rep. counter there in the first place if you cannot increase it anyway? The first time you encounter this situation (freeing some villagers and they thanking you and then disappearing from the floor), i guess most players would naturally assume that there is some bug involved for not getting any rep. increase....

Gargaune

Magister
I´m trying an IWD EE run now, after having this game in my library for some time, the current version of 2.6.6.0 seems to be the current up to date for quite a while now.

Among the first things that catched my attention is how the biographies are messed up. I created a party and while one character has its standard biography -appropriate for the class- the others in my party have either no text ("this place was intentionelly left blank") or have the biography of Gorion´s Ward wtf? How can something like this happen anyway??

Now, in the EE version they seem to have added the reputation counter you can see in the character sheets. As far as i remember this was not possible to check in the original. Why does the party not gain any reputation increase after freeing the villagers from the first floor of Dragon´s Eye? Wouldn´t that be one of the perfect places where you can get such an increase? Now i do realize that it´s not a bug (supposedly), but rather an attempt to stay close to the original game, but why put the rep. counter there in the first place if you cannot increase it anyway? The first time you encounter this situation (freeing some villagers and they thanking you and then disappearing from the floor), i guess most players would naturally assume that there is some bug involved for not getting any rep. increase....
Beamdog's BG and IWD EEs are built on a common BG2 EE platform, so you're probably looking at some bits and bobs left over in the code and acting up.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Assuming that i will start with full party of six at heart of fury difficulty from level 1 what levels @ endgame i can expect for my party?
kensai
thief-> fighter dual
sorcerer
mage
cleric
druid

iwd1 ee ofc.

With double XP and insane I reached level 30 on a single class bard by mid game, maybe a bit more than mid game, lets say 3/4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom