Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Developer
Again, don't always have time to answer, but figured rather than answer the latest, I'd try and make sure I don't miss some others (although there's a lot).

I always heard the first "Av-alone" being used in interviews and such, and at first I couldn't even recognize it as being Italian.
Second one seems pretty much ok exept the "ee" part, which should be something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_front_unrounded_vowel.
If you click on the "listen" button here in the Italian left section on https://translate.google.com/#it/en/Avellone you get how it is pronunced here.

Anyway, since Sawyer started learning German him being 3% German, wouldn't you want to learn Italian? It is very usefull if you want to join the Mob.

It is also useful when dealing with Italian in-laws. My wife's family are teaching me small amounts of Italian in passing. I do know a bit of French and took a few years of Latin, and I still fall back on Latin constructions sometimes when writing/designing.

Latin also allowed me to do better than I deserved on my verbal SATs, too, because you could deconstruct so many of the words if you know the roots.

Some overseas companies are also cool enough to offer language programs as part of freelancing, although I rarely have time to respond to the forum here let alone learn a new language.

Chris Avell-two is still my favorite variation.

Me too. (Me 2?)

Hey Chris here's a blast from the past: in Lonesome Road, what was the thinking behind the way Ulysses speaks? It seems to turn a lot of people off as they assume it's the author writing pretentiously, but you've demonstrated enough range in your writing- even just within the New Vegas DLCs- that it's clear his speech patterns are a deliberate choice

I saw him speaking based on his original tribal roots, which he fell back to in order to keep up appearances while doing his espionage thing (same with why he wears his hair, I believe he says, it's been a while). His tribe was one of the many laid out early in Van Buren: The Hangdogs, Twisted Hairs, the Ciphers, and the Twin Mothers, among others (this was while VB was still in "holding pattern" mode until BG3 got cancelled, they may have changed not long after that).

Another part of the reason is I heard Roger Cross's audition and thought he had a cool voice, so I did play around with the word choice/metaphors a bit. In the end, among the other complaints (and there were many, but we weren't allowed to re-record him) was that he just spoke too slowly, which I agree with (we tried to manually speed up his voice, but that only goes so far). But again, that wasn't the only problem with the presentation (there's a bunch).

the people he worked with left Obsidian and/or aren't writing anything relevant

Among many others, John Gonzalez, Brian Mitsoda, and Travis Stout are still doing cool projects, and John alone did a good job on Shadow of Mordor and Horizon: Zero Dawn, if the reception is to be believed (I admit I haven't had a chance to play either one beyond seeing demos and certain gameplay scenes).

Hi, Chris, just want to ask a simple question, what do you think your fans like from your works?

Probably the ability to not only physically punch, but philosophically punch, all the high-minded antagonists. I still don't think anyone I've tried to do ever comes close to the Master in F1, though.

The rest I don't really know, but the critiques of what I do wrong are pretty valuable (watch out for word repetition to the point of exhaustion, for example, and don't make up 2-3 slang/code names for a single character or event, it just confuses the audience - make a decision and stick with it). While I have been accused of long exposition, the two worst exposition moments I've ever had to write (Dead Money and Old World Blues) were both publisher and CEO mandates because they felt players wouldn't have any clue what was going on. While me arguing the point is fine, in the end, arguing the point doesn't get the milestone paid and keep people employed, so sometimes you have to bite the bullet. That said, there's been other times where I have done way too much exposition when I shouldn't.

Miyamoto said this quote, which people keep parotting. Not that I'm against delaying a game to polish it, but in the age of digital distribution and immediate patching, this is not true anymore. Miyamoto was defeinitely talking about the consoles of old, which did not have this opportunity.

I didn't know BraveMule was quoting Miyamoto, but from personal experience, if fans start believing (rightly) that your initial release is best to hold off on purchasing for a patch or for a few patches, that can stick and hurt reception (to the point where they'll believe it for the wrong reasons or immediately assume something is a bug or a flawed feature even if it isn't).

You can also compound the error by releasing bad or game-breaking patches for the same reason you released the core game as-is. Also, the initial Steam reviews for those games don't go away, either.

It's possible to fix that reputation, but it just takes a while, and usually the causes for such releases rarely change - but they can.

While I agree a game can recover over time, I just believe it's better to make it the best it can be at launch - that's the best time to get noticed.

Thanks for the reply. Wish I could brofist.
I'm intrigued by your mentioning of the writing and quest templates. Am I correct in understanding that the writing for the characters is downstream from the quest designs and the over-arching story writing? Would love to hear about the limitations on a new franchise as well, if you have time to spare.

I owe you a longer answer to this (add it to my debts), and there's a GDC presentation entitled the “400 Simple Steps to do a story in a game” that walks through a lot of this, but I’m not sure it’s on the Vault - (I found a link here but didn't test it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3aobafRUlo

In short, I prefer to proceed with the following steps: (Reposting from some advice I offered a while ago on how to approach a game story)

Again, this is only my approach, and to be clear, I haven't always done it this way.

"The way I approach it (a story outline) is:

- Break down/Get the pillars of the game (these don’t have to be the narrative ones and often aren’t). There should be at least three, and these three are the most important aspects of the game. So, for example, when we were doing the Fallout New Vegas DLCs, the pillars were:

- Provide an 6-8 hour experience similar to the core game (this comes with a set of assumptions, such as: must cater to different character archetypes in quest design and action gameplay, every archetype should be useful and get something cool, etc.).

- Communicate X ambiance in the DLC (ex: Old World Blues was “sci-fi super science comedy” and Dead was “Survival Horror”).

- Each DLC must abide by X resource restrictions (we only have a single programmer, no more than 2500 voiced lines, we can only make 2 new creatures and X number of weapons, armor, etc.). This one was more logistical, but it’s absolutely a pillar.​

- Make sure you've read and played all the core systems for the game and you know what the gameplay loop is going to be (b/c the story needs to serve that). Know the character's movement set, what their powers will be, what level traversal will be like, etc.

- Then we do a one sentence and a one-pager (no longer than this, and we don’t mention specific details like exact locations or names of characters). It’s more like “Trapped in a frozen hellhole, the hero awakens to find he’s been in suspended animation for 100 years and must save other hibernating humans from zombies crawling the earth” or “BioShock with dinosaurs” or some such. Whatever sentence would be what a player would tell another player about the game and the story, and it has to be compelling in that one sentence.

- The reason we don’t do specific places, names, NPCs initially is because until you have the spine of the story sorted out, those details are irrelevant (and they can actually get in the way by being obstacles or details you get too attached to). All you want is the critical path, no side stories, nothing beyond “what’s likely to get the player from point A to point B.”

- Once all the leads (not the whole team, the leads) agree on the 1pager, do a 4pager that fleshes out more details – add 3-9 locations (no more than a paragraph), a quick description of what you do in each location, and the primary antagonist, protagonist, and no more than 2 other major characters (keep it simple). Also, and this is important – prioritize everything, and try to prioritize narrative in tandem with other design content (for example, A-Priority narrative should be in tandem with A-priority levels). I use Priority A, B, and C to represent:

A-Priority: If this isn’t in the game, the story or game would be obviously unplayable or broken.

B-Priority: If this isn’t in the game, the player will notice it, but the game will be playable, just not as good as it could be.

C-Priority: Something the player wouldn’t miss if it wasn’t there (thus, cutable) but if it was there, it would make the overall game experience better. (The talking appliances in Old World Blues.)

Then I try to break the content into 50% is A-Priority, 25% is B, and 25% is C. This will help prevent headaches later on because if you need to cut something, you know what to cut.

- Get that approved by all the leads (it’s not important the rest of the team yet).

- Then present the story to the team - don't tuck it away like a rare, secret treasure only the writers know, that's a good way to make your story suck when it's in the game.

- I advocate some things with a team presentation:

- 1. Gather the whole team all in a room, do a PPT, and then walk them through the story points as enthusiastically as you can - show that you care, and try to get them excited. It’s best to also do:

- 2. Always show how the narrative is using THE TEAM'S existing cool features, concept art, environment art, to tell the story. Basically anything you haven’t made yourself but the team did, show them how you’re using their cool stuff (including game programming for systems) to help tell the story. Everyone likes to see their own work contributing to the process.​

Also, with a team, often words are the wrong way to communicate a story - keep it visual, keep it brief, and leave the lengthier documents just for the writers.​

- Once that’s approved, break up the story doc into 1-pagers of each location and each of the major characters, and repeat the process all over again, expanding each section to 4 pagers, etc.

- Agree with the other writer(s) who’s going to be writing what – and ideally, if one writer really wants to write a certain location or character, it’s often best to let them flesh out the 1 pagers and 4 pagers for characters and locations.

- While doing this process, every location, quest, and NPC (and the player themselves) should always be checked against the pillars of your game – is the writing and the character and the content complimenting the themes and the gameplay? Are they helping to support the core experience?"
Switching to a few recent questions, but it felt unfair to tackle those without dealing with these first. Forgive any typos.

Developer
Chris what were you doing on "Die by the Sword"?

I wrote the end movie speech the hero gives (though I barely recall it). It was a surprise job, the producer for the game at Interplay walked in and asked if I'd be willing to give it a shot. It was a little surprising b/c he was in a different division.
Should we really be grateful? It set the bar so high that my expectations are regularly frustrated :negative:

And don't know, maybe after nearly 20 years, Chris is getting frustrated as well to have his work compared to PST.

No, it's just a reminder to keep trying to do better.

Chris Avellone , you have said numerous times that you work on Durance consisted of building the character concept, with the actual dialogues writing seen in the game being done by other people. Correct me if this was not accurate.

My question is, what does a character concept look like? I assume it's a document, but what information about the character does it contain, what's the table of contents of such a document?

I'll see if I can find a snapshot of one, but it's basically a doc that contains a series of important character paragraph summaries that gives a rough description, class and ability details, age, the player's perception of them, their character's ACTUAL role in the game, a general layout of their quest arc, and it's kept pretty simple (you don't want to do more than a page, and anything longer goes into a quest doc). It's also eventually used to help with casting auditions and occasionally getting a voice actor up to speed, but often, it's better to show a voice actor a series of images of their character, images of what's important to the character and what they talk a lot about in their scripts, a shot of the world, etc. and just talk them through it for 5 minutes vs. asking them to read a page of text. Over time, I started doing minor PPTs with reference art to explain a character quickly ("Here's Elijah, he's like BOS's Merlin, he wants this place because of X, etc, etc." and use as many images vs. text as possible).

EDIT: There might be one in the "400 steps" video above, I think (Kreia or some of the Dead Money characters). The Kreia one I think is the wrong way to go about it.

Often, "character concept" docs are broken down into "companions" vs. major figures in the game, and there's often other docs that are solely to help the concept artists (usually with links to folders with lots of reference art you've gathered on the character that visually showcases what you mean).

I did the character concepts for Durance and GM, but they did differ from the original concepts as I was writing them until they were more, "hey, here's the guy who shows why gods in PoE are important to the people and has so much hate you'd believe him if he said he (and others who were as fanatical as him) could channel their emotional energy to dissipate a rival God" and GM's "here's someone who can speak to what it means to be a cipher and the loss of children."

I did write a large majority of their dialogue, but I couldn't tell what % ended up being added/changed once I went back to Tyranny.

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
the two worst exposition moments I've ever had to write (Dead Money and Old World Blues) were both publisher and CEO mandates because they felt players wouldn't have any clue what was going on
That would explain the heavy-handed exposition in PoE, Tyranny and it looks like every Obsidian title going forward. I guess Feargus decided infodumps are the key to success.

:slamdunk:

2house2fly

Magister
The Old World Blues starting infodump is honestly really well done, even if just for an infodump. Still, one hopes the success of games like the Souls series, which not only lack infodumps but barely actually tell a story at all, will lead to less of that kind of thing being mandated.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Chris Avellone

Would you say that the way you approach game writing (at least as described briefly in your posts here) especially this recent post about companions: do you think these methods could also be used succesfully for writing speculative fiction

Okagron

Prophet
the two worst exposition moments I've ever had to write (Dead Money and Old World Blues) were both publisher and CEO mandates because they felt players wouldn't have any clue what was going on.
I don't mind heavy amounts of exposition if they are interesting or at least entertaining. And i honestly found both Old Worlds Blues and Dead Money infodumps interesting, for the most part.

the two worst exposition moments I've ever had to write (Dead Money and Old World Blues) were both publisher and CEO mandates because they felt players wouldn't have any clue what was going on
That would explain the heavy-handed exposition in PoE, Tyranny and it looks like every Obsidian title going forward. I guess Feargus decided infodumps are the key to success.

So now we know who is to be blamed primarily for the long shitty infodumps and lack of TB in Obshitian.

Feargus Cuck-at-heart

I hope Obshitian goes bankrupt and the CuckEO goes back to servicing gloryholes.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Forget about a Vault Dweller collaboration, when are we going to see a Chris Avellone and Cleveland Mark Blakemore game?
It will be difficult for Chris Avellone to surpass Cleve Blakemore's unparalleled writing style.

UR4NJDd.png

JAOWUA1.png

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
what exactly is preachy in ToN, compared to, oh let's say, PS:T? :lol:
The moment you notice the writer preaching to you.

PS:T never felt Avellone was directly doing that - just the characters within Sigil. That's the sign of a good writer, one who doesn't take you out of it & makes the characters seem authentic.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
speculative fiction

I'll have to stop you right there son :australia:

what exactly is preachy in ToN, compared to, oh let's say, PS:T? :lol:
The moment you know it's preaching to you. PS:T never felt Avellone was directly doing that - just the characters within Sigil. That's the sign of a good writer, one who doesn't take you out of it & makes the characters seem authentic.

the fact why PS:T might not have "felt" preachy is because people were basically rambling right past you. But loredumping or issuedumping on people IRL is still considered preachy, it's actually worse if people don't even seem to acknowledge you but simply want to pass on some of their misery or what they consider their wisdom to you.

Developer
The Old World Blues starting infodump is honestly really well done, even if just for an infodump. Still, one hopes the success of games like the Souls series, which not only lack infodumps but barely actually tell a story at all, will lead to less of that kind of thing being mandated.

That’s kind of you to say, although I still groan whenever I play it or see someone playing it. My issues are you can’t escape, it’s a lot to give the player, and it contradicts our long-standing style guides as far back as BIS (and was certainly part of how we wrote a lot of the Torment and Fallout 2 characters whenever possible).

The first official style guide where this rule was laid out concretely was the one I wrote for Icewind Dale in 2001, and it was a compilation of what we’d learned from Infinity Engine games and from lessons on Fallout 2 and Fallout 1 – and “every node should have a way to back out of it” is embedded in the very first rule on how to structure responses. (It had a lot of other rules as well – make trade/services in the opening node of the NPC providing the merchant/healing service, quest structure testing, words we should use, ones we shouldn’t, etc.) That style guide kept getting added to, and each project usually has a specific one tailored to that project (ex: with Fallout, here’s how you spell “stimpak”) but the core principles are usually the same.

We do sometimes include characters that do have to relay info (Ravel) or we do create closed dialogue sections to better control and prevent XP/rep loops and control important quest advancement sections, but overall, you don’t want to trap a player in a conversation if you can help it – either give them a combat option or a goodbye.

The problem was with both Dead Money and OWB infodumps, you can usually present slices of the larger infodump as rationed out pieces of information elsewhere (esp. when it’s relevant to the area design) vs. having it all up front (exposition). A lot of the exposition for both could have been optional or given at triggers in Act 1 or 2, for example.

My preference is you let the player make the choice to engage with any potential infodump, and my experience is that players can figure out the mechanics being relayed in the infodump with the area traversal mechanics or in some “in-environment” experience or visual set-up (Half-Life 2 is great about this – they design rooms that showcase how a weapon is supposed to work and let you try it out without saying a word).

To be fair, however, there was one section of the OWB outset dialogue that was intentionally long and I purposely put it in there after Jeff Husges (one of our unsung design heroes) said he would have appreciated more ways to outsmart the Think Tank at the outset and he was right, so I included the Barter options and more ability/skill checks, even though I knew it would make the dialogue longer.

Developer

To be fair, it was one of the few times he intervened with the writing style guides. The only time I recall him getting heavily involved in story at all was Dungeon Siege 3.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

To be fair, it was one of the few times he intervened with the writing style guides. The only time I recall him getting heavily involved in story at all was Dungeon Siege 3.
So Richard Taylor wasn't the reason Dungeon Siege 3's story sucked?

Developer
Hey Chris Avellone, would you mind sharing the BIS-era version of the style guide with us?

It’s probably on an Obsidian server somewhere, but I don’t have access to it, no. If it's there, one of the Obsidian writers may be able to share it out.

I do have a more recent free-to-the-public one if you want to see that. I still add to it on occasion when I think of something new to add.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
which character that you wrote that you felt most satisfied with how it turned out in the end

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hey Chris Avellone, would you mind sharing the BIS-era version of the style guide with us?

It’s probably on an Obsidian server somewhere, but I don’t have access to it, no. If it's there, one of the Obsidian writers may be able to share it out.

I do have a more recent free-to-the-public one if you want to see that. I still add to it on occasion when I think of something new to add.
Thanks man, I see that you have some of the same points in the public doc that you referenced in the BIS-era one. Like 'Don't lock the player in a dialogue cage'.

maxresdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom