Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Median XL Ultimative

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This is the money quote. You're looking at D2 from the perspective of a competitive Battlenet player, and that's not really representative of how most people play the game, in particular single-player.

So you know how "most" people play the game, what cheap street hallucinogens gave you this gift? You know, you, DraQ and Average Manatee judging the game on a superficial level and projecting your degenerate playing habits onto the masses isn't fair, they're better than you.

SP Diablo incentivizes plodding because drops are rare and you need to grind XP, and the game doesn't signal to you that some areas are better for building XP and getting good drops.

Oh really? Perhaps you and the other plodders aren't particularly gifted at learning from experience, then? Because I found out after minimal game-time that killing mooks in the Bloodmoor, after a certain point, wasn't particularly rewarding gold-wise, item-wise or experience-wise. But then, I have eyes and can open them and see what's dropping, plus I can read an XP bar. So to spell it out I wasn't compelled to hunt down and kill every last mook before moving on, because the drops and XP fucking sucked. I also somehow found out that bee-lining to other maps and killing harder enemies was more rewarding, amazing aren't I? This will no doubt be a stunning revelation to you and others of your kind, but I'm absolutely by no means a pro-player.

Also, if those areas are pointless, why the hell are they in the game?

Who said they were pointless, the voices in your head?

ANAL-ORGY

Your analogy not only sucks ass hard and swallows, but isn't even relevant as I proved above.

Last edited:
projecting your degenerate playing habits onto the masses

Sawyerist.png

Siobhan

Arbiter
So you know how "most" people play the game, what cheap street hallucinogens gave you this gift? You know, you, DraQ and Average Manatee judging the game on a superficial level and projecting your degenerate playing habits onto the masses isn't fair, they're better than you.
In an ideal world we could just take the number of active Battlenet players at its peak time and subtract it from D2's sales numbers to get a conservative estimate of how many people didn't play the game battlenet style. That's only a rough estimate of course, some people own multiple copies, some have multipe accounts, others have an acount but only used it once for a few hours, and Battlenet accounts aren't tied to a single game. Anyways, I don't have Roguey's google fu skills, but apparently D2 and LOD both sold around 17 million according to Video Game Sales Wiki. I couldn't find a reference for the size of D2's online userbase. Feel free to supply it and I might rethink my claim that most D2 players don't play in Battlenet.

Perhaps you and the other plodders aren't particularly gifted at learning from experience, then?
As far as I remember D2 has random chest placement, so you can easily find a chest with decent loot in a random corner. The learning effect: explore and thou shallt find nice stuff. This doesn't apply for Battlenet where no chest contains anything you can't easily get through trading, but that's once again why SP != Battlenet. As for the experience argument, you only know that your experience gains are slow if you know how much faster you could be gaining experience. The first time you play a new act, you have no idea what the good spots are, how fast you could be progressing. What are you supposed to do? Rush through the act till you find a good spot and then grind the hell out of it for a few hours? Now that sounds like fun. And if that's what we should do because everything else is a degenerate playstyle: why did they even include the other areas?

This will no doubt be a stunning revelation to you and others of your kind, but I'm absolutely by no means a pro-player.
You know more about D2 than the average player, which is very apparent from how you talk about its mechanics. I also remember you talking about low-level PvP and how to correctly pick the loot for this purpose. Even knowing that something like low-level PvP exists as a subgenre of PvP gaming is way beyond your average D2 fan, that's on the level of discussing the nuances of a Fairy Ninja solo run in Wizardry 8, if not even more hardcore.

Also, if those areas are pointless, why the hell are they in the game?
Who said they were pointless, the voices in your head?
You said that spending time on these areas is a waste, one should rush through them as quickly as possible. So what purpose do they serve?

Your analogy not only sucks ass hard and swallows, but isn't even relevant as I proved above.
You've got a weird definition of proof. But here's a simple question: when was the last time you played D2 single player in normal, i.e. starting with a level 1 character and slowly building him up to level 30 by the end of Act 4, possibly followed up by Act 5 if you feel like it. No equipment trading, just using the loot you find, purchase, or craft. No switching to 8-player levels for quicker XP gain, more drops, and more fun all around. No mods. That's what D2 single player was designed around, and when you play it this way, its flaws are very apparent with no easy fix in sight.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Battle.net

My original Battle.net comment to DraQ was more about painting him more vividly as a plodder by citing coop - where tbqh judging by his opinion on the game and the ignorance and play-style required to adopt those opinions (ie, that of a plodder) he'd be lucky just to be kicked to the curb and not insta-hostiled and killed off with hi-5s allround - than stimulating Battle.net discussion, so lets just stick to SP, shall we?

Just so you know, my perspective of D2 is multi-faceted (PvP, Pking, Hardcore, SP, Coop) because D2 unlike D1 is a multi-faceted game, but I actually have narrowed this view down to SP for discussion on the Codex, as is shown in my opening post which doesn't even mention Ultimative's online Sin War.

Basically, we don't know for certain how "most" people approach SP, do they plod or do they play using their brains. Plodding to me is derping around very slowly killing every last mook D1-style, persistently picking up obviously useless shit and clogging up your inventory to sell for a pittance, and stubbornly mapping out areas to the last pixel to get every unnecessary waypoint before moving onto the next. This degenerate behavior is what might make the beginning of D2 seem like "bland outdoor derp" that makes you feel like "stabbing yourself in the eyeballs". This isn't how I play or how others I know play. This is only how plodders play, and they suck.

Now I know you'll argue "first-time players might plod", but so what? Noobs always do, initially, to get a feel for the game, but then they'll learn if they have a thinking brain that this isn't D1 and plodding isn't "incentivized" by D2, despite your absurd claim, in fact the opposite - pushing ahead - is what rewards the skilled player. When I first played D2 I probably mapped out most of the Bloodmoor and killed the shit in there, just to get a feel for various things, all up taking maybe 10-15mins, after which I delved the Den and faced the first challenges. I didn't sense any blandness, derp or shit like that. But then, I've always pushed on when I sensed game-play stagnating and really that's just nothing more than paying attention, and common sense.

You said that spending time on these areas is a waste, one should rush through them as quickly as possible. So what purpose do they serve?

I've answered that, they serve the purpose of XP gain and loot drops at certain clvls. They serve as overworld for the subzones, they all serve a purpose however much you might like to imply otherwise. There are no empty overworlds, and they're not as humongous and bland as you've all deluded yourselves into thinking. But whatevs, plodders gon plod.

As for the experience argument, you only know that your experience gains are slow if you know how much faster you could be gaining experience. The first time you play a new act, you have no idea what the good spots are, how fast you could be progressing. What are you supposed to do? Rush through the act till you find a good spot and then grind the hell out of it for a few hours? Now that sounds like fun. And if that's what we should do because everything else is a degenerate playstyle: why did they even include the other areas?

With eyes that are open and can see you can easily tell your rate of XP gain from the XP bar. When you first begin Bloodmoor, you watch it rise in segments. As you lvlup you see it rise in progressively smaller segments. This is your cue to move out of the Bloodmoor and into the Cold Plains, before you start wasting time and effort. Rinse repeat this common sense until Hell Act 5.

Now while there are indeed extremely optimal places to farm xp at various clvls, not knowing where they are on your virgin run isn't necessarily going to make the game tedious (unless you're a plodder, I guess. Because then the game becomes a reflection of yourself, so...), it only makes subsequent runs that much faster. As does pattern recognition of the maps, and the like.

when was the last time you played D2 single player in normal, i.e. starting with a level 1 character and slowly building him up to level 30 by the end of Act 4, possibly followed up by Act 5 if you feel like it. No equipment trading, just using the loot you find, purchase, or craft. No switching to 8-player levels for quicker XP gain, more drops, and more fun all around. No mods. That's what D2 single player was designed around, and when you play it this way, its flaws are very apparent with no easy fix in sight.

I've done that several times. Depending on your class, build-type and drops it can be very challenging and fun. I've defeated Hell mode like this (<clvl75 or so), and I'm of opinion that one hasn't beaten D2 unless they've beaten Hell, or at least Normal on Hardcore. I basically consider Normal -> Nightmare -> Hell to be three parts of one game, because each has its individual feel and because Hell just amps up the stakes so much it can't really be ignored, even in SP.

Not saying D2 is a flawless masterpiece, but then neither is D1 or any game for that matter, imo. I'm acutely aware of many of the flaws, and Ultimative corrects only some of them. Regardless, D2's multi-facetedness has kept me entertained on and off for years, and it takes someone with lots of knowledge and reasoning ability to alter my views on anything D2-related, including Median XL being one of the best expressions of this genre of game.

Last edited:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Never got much trouble with exploring the sorroundings in Diablo 2, tough i always lost interest by act 5.

DraQ

Arcane
Just because it's not as slow as the first game, doesn't mean it has no atmosphere.
No. Instead it has no atmosphere just because instead of descending into echoing, dark halls under desecrated cathedral you start your adventure running around grassy plain and ganking zombies and hedgehogs for their lunch money.
Also because neither catgirls, nor ents feel suitable medieval and because some vaguely Aztec shit doesn't really feel like the religious capital of quasi-christians.

And no more picking up normal and magical items of every kind that you don't even need, just because "they're worth something". White and blue items sell for like 1gp, so the tedious "pick up and sell everything" behaviour is removed early on.
Game is so saturated with high-tier magical items that white and blue are effectively worthless.

:obviously: fix - make magical and even high-end non-magical items rare enough to be highly valuable (like in D1, where "mere" blue items were rare enough to keep being interesting).
fabulous fix - make magical items sell for 1GP.
069.jpg

I just fucking showed you that much of the game isn't overworld in that spoiler.
Yes, much is pointless isolated dungeons looking all alike.
Diablo 1 was focused. You had this single dungeon and single purpose.
Diablo 2 OTOH has you trot around randumb overworld peeking into random dungeons and poking undead and demons contained within for no adequate reason.

Diablo isn't TES and isn't an adventurer sim. It needs fucking focus.

I'm not sure what the ratio is, but its reasonable. I also suspect your clumsy caricature of Act1 as "bland outdoor derp" that makes you feel like "stabbing yourself in the eyeballs" is a result of you just being a player who plods. Maybe you insist on killing every last mook on the maps? Maybe you can't pattern recognize a map to find your way? Maybe you don't know how to occasionally bee-line? But nobody cares about the plights of plodders, they get left behind in Battle.net to pick up the scraps of loot everyone else left behind and to moan and bitch about blandness and derp, the source of which is really only themselves.
So which one is the exciting, non-repetitive way of playing D2 SP?
Plodding or doing Bhaal raids over and over?

:martini:
Take your time.

Thankfully this isn't TES, Morrowind is fucking shit.
Seeing your definition of good vs shit I'm happy to find my own tastes validated.
:smug:
You speak of "My First Dungeon". Well, we all know Morrowind is Baby's First RPG jam-packed with My First Dungeons, from beginning to end.
Woosh.
And you obviously never went through the sprawling Den of Evil in Nightmare, let alone Hell
Try again.
in which Diablo 2 hits its high point
The game gets exciting after you beat it twice.
:hmmm:
Tell me more, I'm excited.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
You know, you, DraQ and Average Manatee judging the game on a superficial level and projecting your degenerate playing habits onto the masses isn't fair, they're better than you.
Lastly, it's pretty fucking easy to outwalk most monsters in D1 and draw out mobs in ones and twos, breaking the combat down into nice little bite-sized chunks.
I dictated combat terms from beginning to end in D1 using my aforementioned tactic you conveniently ignored, probably because you know I'm right and can't admit it.
your degenerate playing habits
u wot m8

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just because it's not as slow as the first game, doesn't mean it has no atmosphere.
No. Instead it has no atmosphere just because instead of descending into echoing, dark halls under desecrated cathedral you start your adventure running around grassy plain and ganking zombies and hedgehogs for their lunch money.
Also because neither catgirls, nor ents feel suitable medieval and because some vaguely Aztec shit doesn't really feel like the religious capital of quasi-christians.

There's more than a dozen reasons Diablo II doesn't have as well of an atmosphere as it could have, and those are the reasons you come up with?

tumblr_lt69y9IeTG1r4alnuo1_500.gif

Crpg in Diablo 1 universe would be great. Not gonna happen though. Even first person hiking sim (if Bethesda bought Blizzard when it falls) in such a cool setting would be great. Unfortunately knowing this new Bethesda, the setting would probably be demoted to generic fantasy. Maybe the people that made Morrowind would know how to properly translate it into a first person rpg Diablo setting.

Coriolanus

Learned
Lilura don't you think it's unfair to compare vanilla D1 to modded D2? The Hell mod for D1 makes the gameplay pretty interesting and dynamic IMO (and much better than vanilla).

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Llura, you are full of shit.

In mdian XL every monster and their fucking mother drops magics + rares. The drop rates are so high, it gets seriously annoying since you want to pickup every magic/rare of a certain type to check for stats.

Regarding difficulty: funnily median2SE was difficult from the start on. Not the total cakewalk and grinding farm normal/nightmare is in XL. Getting the OP sets / crafts was teethgrindingly hard and rewarding in terms of OP-ness.
I repeat, once BOrther Laz started to balance the mod for the average D2 gamer, it was a lost cause.

On the other hand, Grim Dawn.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Game is so saturated with high-tier magical items that white and blue are effectively worthless.

Because you can make runewords out of rares, and because rares have the same mods as magicals, right?
(Not to mention transmutation/enchanting/orbing...)

:obviously: fix - make magical and even high-end non-magical items rare enough to be highly valuable (like in D1, where "mere" blue items were rare enough to keep being interesting).
fabulous fix - make magical items sell for 1GP.

No fix needed: normal, magical, rare and unique drop rates are generously increased in Ultimative, so their sell value has been nerfed for game balance reasons. For argument's sake, its something like 1-10gp for normals, 10-100 for magical and 100-500 for rare and unique on Hatred (Normal difficulty). Pretty reasonable seeing as Ultimative provides other sources of income, already cited by me.

In stock D2, certain normal items in the Bloodmoor had sell value of 400gp and some magical ones had sell value of first act merchant cap (10,000gp). The abundance of money could only really be used in SP for gambling, whereas Ultimative gives alternative incentives to burn cash, also already cited by me.

So really, you're just nit-picking.

Yes, much is pointless isolated dungeons looking all alike.
Diablo 1 was focused. You had this single dungeon and single purpose.
Diablo 2 OTOH has you trot around randumb overworld peeking into random dungeons and poking undead and demons contained within for no adequate reason.
Diablo isn't TES and isn't an adventurer sim. It needs fucking focus.

The subzones aren't pointless: some contain quests, others have certain drop-biases and so on. The vast majority of non-overworld areas must be traversed for plot progression. About a dozen of those are exploratory/farming only, which is a reasonable amount. They also don't "all" look alike, though there is some copy-pasta which is forgivable in this type of game.

So which one is the exciting, non-repetitive way of playing D2 SP?
Plodding or doing Bhaal raids over and over?

Why do you think the choice is either "plod or Baalrun" in single-player, and what exactly do you mean by "repetition"? If you mean grinding/farming, then you're incorrect. I've completed Hell at clvl75 or so and Hardcore runs of Normal, Nightmare and most of Hell, and these instances were no-grind/no-farm, totally untwinked, without using /players x, maphack, duping or any cheese or cheating shit like that. Many others have, too.

So Lrn2play, shit-stain.

Seeing your definition of good vs shit I'm happy to find my own tastes validated.

Your taste is fixated on the games you happened to be playing when your tiny balls dropped, and ludicrously thick poindexter nostalgia goggles prevent you from seeing the merit in anything that came after, no matter how genuine. As I said earlier, the cure is probably just fresh air and sunshine.

The game gets exciting after you beat it twice.

Hell is definitely the difficulty I have most fun in, but not all agree. Like I said earlier:

I'm of opinion that one hasn't beaten D2 unless they've beaten Hell, or at least Normal on Hardcore. I basically consider Normal -> Nightmare -> Hell to be three parts of one game, because each has its individual feel and because Hell just amps up the stakes so much it can't really be ignored, even in SP.

By individual feel, I don't just mean the encounters with enemies and bosses but also the character build, since you'll probably only be at clvl30 when you cap off Normal and so haven't yet been able to realize fully the idea of your build, with regards to access to a variety of skillsets and their various synergies. As you progress you'll also no doubt gain items that might change the focus/flexibility of your build, in which case the ability to respec once per difficulty lvl is a welcome addition.

So really, anyone who talks about D2 being "completed" on merely Normal is pretty much just a casual plodder with talent on par with a TES "gamer", imo.

Lilura don't you think it's unfair to compare vanilla D1 to modded D2? The Hell mod for D1 makes the gameplay pretty interesting and dynamic IMO (and much better than vanilla).

Sorry, but where did I compare D1 with Ultimative? I haven't really even compared D1 with stock D2, but it would be easy to argue both ways as to which is superior overall because it depends on what you most want out of the game.

Llura, you are full of shit.
In mdian XL every monster and their fucking mother drops magics + rares. The drop rates are so high, it gets seriously annoying since you want to pickup every magic/rare of a certain type to check for stats.
Regarding difficulty: funnily median2SE was difficult from the start on. Not the total cakewalk and grinding farm normal/nightmare is in XL. Getting the OP sets / crafts was teethgrindingly hard and rewarding in terms of OP-ness.

Thanks for the input, but how am I full of shit? Ultimative rares don't come thick and fast until you get fairly high MF%. I'm farming in Destruction atm and I can just ignore 90% of the rares that drop, because I know at a glance they're not for me. You can also inexpensively and very quickly reroll rares for preferable mods, or craft from scratch. So once you have the desired base item, you're set. So only noobs and those who use Shared Stashes with other builds in mind might pick up and check every rare in Ultimative. Not to mention sacred uniques and sacred sets have served me better than mere rares, almost everytime. Crafting also doesn't seem "teeth-grindingly hard" in Ultimative, imo. So yeah?

I repeat, once BOrther Laz started to balance the mod for the average D2 gamer, it was a lost cause.

I'm not an average D2 gamer, but I'm also by no means a pro-player of MXL. Still, I prefer the mod over other current offerings.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Median XL is definitely a :fabulous: mod, but that doesn't make it bad. I don't think the things that made Diablo 1 good could be replicated with a mod in Diablo 2 (things like mutually exclusive quests, spellbooks, pacing/monster respawns or the atmosphere) but it instead goes in a very gamist direction, and it does it extremely well. Loot whoring becomes not about looking at the stats of every god damned item that drops, but looking for particular base items or crafting materials, which removes the tedious ID bullshit from the equation, as well as the vendor trash shit. Every item is potentially useful for some build via some method, it's just a matter of knowing what you're looking for. Runewords now require a single rune, so you don't have to micromanage a bunch of bullshit to be able to make them, but rather simply keep the highest ones you have, or use them for their actual socket bonuses. If you want to go to extreme lengths to craft an item, you can do that, or you can choose the much faster (but less customizable) option of picking out a particular unique and crafting it instead. No more random charms to sift through and clog your inventory, now the only charms you get are unique rewards from difficult sidequests. No more sitting around forever gambling until you get a decent rare of whatever class item can give you +1 to paladin skills or whatever the fuck. You just run out, murder people, and take their valuable shit, which is easily discerned. Then you move on to different enemies, instead of having to farm some shit boss a bunch of times because Andariel is the only person between the start of the game and the sandworm queen that drops halfway decent loot.

Character builds are also more interesting, due to balancing some things like block rate, defense, and giving damage bonuses for str/dex/energy depending on the weapon or spell being used. It's no longer a matter of meeting gear requirements and then dumping everything into vitality because everything except more life is useless.

And the actual combat is much more active, with more aggressive AI and enemy skills that you can't simply casually strafe around or kite away from. And it's often not a matter of simply mowing them all down instantly before they hurt you either, because their most dangerous attacks are often on death effects, so blowing up a crowd all at once can be lethal. It's just all around much more varied than most diablo clones, to say nothing of the vanilla game.

The one drawback I'd say it has is it's extremely linear until you get to the point where you can do the uberquests. But the non linearity in vanilla diablo 2 was pretty much illusory anyways, if you were going into the Pit on tamoe highlands, you were just wasting time.

Siobhan

Arbiter
Hell is definitely the difficulty I have most fun in
[...]
So really, anyone who talks about D2 being "completed" on merely Normal is pretty much just a casual plodder with talent on par with a TES "gamer", imo.
So D2 SP hits its stride after 20h+? Great game design.

Your taste is fixated on the games you happened to be playing when your tiny balls dropped
Release dates
Diablo 1: Dec 31 1996
Diablo 2: June 29 2000

The positively ancient D1 and the young and radiant D2 that depraved nostalgia fags can't get into...
:retarded:

Siobhan

Arbiter
And for the record:

Not saying D2 is a flawless masterpiece, but then neither is D1 or any game for that matter, imo. I'm acutely aware of many of the flaws, and Ultimative corrects only some of them. Regardless, D2's multi-facetedness has kept me entertained on and off for years, and it takes someone with lots of knowledge and reasoning ability to alter my views on anything D2-related, including Median XL being one of the best expressions of this genre of game.

Nobody wants to alter your opinion, who cares about your opinion? The reason this whole discussion started, at least as far as I'm concerned, is because you apparently are much more knowledgeable about Diablo than the average codexer (including myself), so it would have actually been interesting to talk about where D2 falls short, whether mods can fix that, how it measures up to other games in the genre (D1, Nox, Sacred, Titan's Quest). Here's how I expected this thread to evolve:

1) we argue that D1 is superior because of atmosphere and tighter, less drawn-out SP focus with faster character progression
2) you counter with mods that mix things around for more fun SP; in particular, you show what is fixed and how that addresses our complaints
3) we branch out and compare those solutions to how other games that lack D2's mini-MMO design tackled these issues
4) some asshole drops in and tells us we should just be playing Icewind Dale, the monocled hack-n-slash experience
5) some other retard complains about RTwP, PoE, and how Sawyer has successfully ruined fun
6) Roguey drops by and shitposts Sawyer quotes all over the place
7) some mod shows mercy and moves the thread to retardo

That would have been a lot more fun than your witty replies about anal orgies, plodders and nostalgia goggles. When people mentioned other mods, you didn't have much to say beyond "yeah, yeah, that's all nice and well, but ULTIMATIVE". New things I learned in this thread: 0

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Nobody wants to alter your opinion, who cares about your opinion?

Who cares about your opinions, especially as they're uninformed and ignorant? The part of my post you quoted was just a nice way of saying: shut the fuck up, you're not talking to a bottom-feeder like DraQ here.

The reason this whole discussion started, at least as far as I'm concerned, is because you apparently are much more knowledgeable about Diablo than the average codexer (including myself), so it would have actually been interesting to talk about where D2 falls short, whether mods can fix that, how it measures up to other games in the genre (D1, Nox, Sacred, Titan's Quest).

Here's how I expected this thread to evolve:
1) we argue that D1 is superior because of atmosphere and tighter, less drawn-out SP focus with faster character progression
2) you counter with mods that mix things around for more fun SP; in particular, you show what is fixed and how that addresses our complaints
3) we branch out and compare those solutions to how other games that lack D2's mini-MMO design tackled these issues
4) some asshole drops in and tells us we should just be playing Icewind Dale, the monocled hack-n-slash experience
5) some other retard complains about RTwP, PoE, and how Sawyer has successfully ruined fun
6) Roguey drops by and shitposts Sawyer quotes all over the place
7) some mod shows mercy and moves the thread to retardo
That would have been a lot more fun than your witty replies about anal orgies, plodders and nostalgia goggles. When people mentioned other mods, you didn't have much to say beyond "yeah, yeah, that's all nice and well, but ULTIMATIVE". New things I learned in this thread: 0

Oh look, another hollow poster who ran out of arguments long ago, and so is now reduced to posting irrelevant nonsense in point-form because that's what people who lack complete thoughts tend to do.

And no "rebuttal" forthcoming on my last post to you, lol? I guess you learned something then? And finally realized that bullshitting your way only takes you so far against those with genuine knowledge on a subject.

But lets recap, shall we? You asked:

when was the last time you played D2 single player in normal, i.e. starting with a level 1 character and slowly building him up to level 30 by the end of Act 4, possibly followed up by Act 5 if you feel like it. No equipment trading, just using the loot you find, purchase, or craft. No switching to 8-player levels for quicker XP gain, more drops, and more fun all around. No mods. That's what D2 single player was designed around, and when you play it this way, its flaws are very apparent with no easy fix in sight.

Then I answered:

I've done that several times. Depending on your class, build-type and drops it can be very challenging and fun. I've defeated Hell mode like this (clvl75 or so), and I'm of opinion that one hasn't beaten D2 unless they've beaten Hell, or at least Normal on Hardcore. I basically consider Normal -> Nightmare -> Hell to be three parts of one game, because each has its individual feel and because Hell just amps up the stakes so much it can't really be ignored, even in SP.

Followed by:

By individual feel, I don't just mean the encounters with enemies and bosses but also the character build, since you'll probably only be at clvl30 when you cap off Normal and so haven't yet been able to realize fully the idea of your build, with regards to access to a variety of skillsets and their various synergies. As you progress you'll also no doubt gain items that might change the focus/flexibility of your build, in which case the ability to respec once per difficulty lvl is a welcome addition.

And Lastly this:

Why do you think the choice is either "plod or Baalrun" in single-player, and what exactly do you mean by "repetition"? If you mean grinding/farming, then you're incorrect. I've completed Hell at clvl75 or so and Hardcore runs of Normal, Nightmare and most of Hell, and these instances were no-grind/no-farm, totally untwinked, without using /players x, maphack, duping or any cheese or cheating shit like that. Many others have, too.

You had previously before this strongly implied or borderline explicitly stated that D2 had to be meta-gamed "the fuck out of" to beat it without plodding. You even pushed harder by "challenging" me on having beat it like a boss without meta-gaming. You also strongly implied, by falsely citing me, that 20hours of sub-par shit had to be waded through before Hell difficulty. These three responses of mine above thoroughly answer those two "challenges" posed by you. Tell me if you don't think they do, and I'll spell it out. Ask me about the intricacies of beating D2 like a boss - not a meta-gamer or plodder - and I'll oblige. Of course, you don't have to believe my current or future claims, this is my word against yours afterall, and we're just "two" idiots arguing online. Who on the Codex is gonna know that I'm right and your posts are uninformed bullshit, what I've said is generally "only" known to D2 players for the last, I dunno, 14 years...

Addressing another couple of "points" you made:

As for non-MXL mods, I've answered a few queries and even gone out of my way to provide links to people. What more do you fucking want?

This topic wasn't created for D1/D2 comparisons, read the title of the topic and opening post. But if you want to compare and argue, this is an organic discussion, so I don't mind. Just try to bring some solid shit to the table next time.

Last edited:

Goat Pervertor

Prospernaut
Possibly Retarded
I just want to add that DraQ is totaly correct about the ATMOSPHERE

Act 2 *could* have had atmosphere if they cut down on catgirls, demonchickensvultures and assorted bullshit - it was what D1 outro was supposed to foreshadow, after all.

In general, D2 should have had pretty much no obvious supernaturals outside, apart from special circumstances, like epic shit finally hitting the fan.
Outside there should have been animals and some cloaked brigands with maybe some subtle hints that some of them may actually not be fully human. That's it. No zombies, demons or catgirls.
Maybe some eldritch (mostly elemental) shit in deep desert.
Shit should only get real in dank dungeons.

Aand this

I just realised that i always had this porblem with Diablo. It has a realy cool menu and music and escpecialy character selection screen. Then you are in the camp and Tristram theme is playing but the moment you step out it falls apart because the first thing you run into are zombies... And its like that for the rest of the game. You have 10 different types of zombies for christ sake. Sorry but thats not interesting its just lame. They should have been more SUBTLE about it all...

Because isnt that what atmosphere is all about - subtlety? You SLOWLY throw weirder and weirder things at the player not zombies right from the start. So when you finaly reach the bottom of the cave it can have an impact. Forexample when people say that music is atmospheric in a game its never some fast grindcore shit... Its always slow and sparce and gets loud only ocasionaly. Or why most atmospheric games/movies are set at nighttime (like VTMB the atmosphere king) - MAYBE because you can see less and that lack of info creates somekinda suspennse... maybe thats bullshit but i played Necrovision expansion recently and i constantly thougt that something is wrong when i realised that its daytime in the game whereas in the first it was night constantly... Maybe its that.

So if we can all agree that thats what atmosphere is - slow info buildup or when something is missing like a LACK of information...) as a scientific objective concept so that we dont throw our subjective opinions aroundd then i have to say that Diablo 2 because it throws nonsensical shit at you constantly compared to 1 does inded have shit atmosphere... Objectively. Its undeniable in light of the evidence.
But its always like that in videogames... you have to save the world/galaxy/universe everything has to be big big BIG! and they just shove everything in there zombies aliens whatever they cant think of. And MXL just aggravates this (visually) 600 times...Just dial it down a bit ffs.

It reminds me of this bevis and butthead episode

the part when they talk about movies. So if i was a NPC from Diablo1 and someone showed me D2 with the catgirls and aztec temples or crossbow rockets thats what i would say. "Thats cool but... No way thats ever gonna happen (in Diabloworld)"

The same can be said and has been of Fallout 2 and Gothic 2 sadly...

So if devs want their game to be atmospheric they should throw less shit everywhere for one... And if they want to add something cool looking/sounding they should ask would this happen? in our game. If not then then dont put it in no matter how cool it looks/sounds... It will just fuck up everything.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are you implying one doesn't simply step into the first level of the cathedral in D1 and see zombies/skeletons whateverthefuck?

Siobhan

Arbiter
The part of my post you quoted was just a nice way of saying: shut the fuck up, you're not talking to a bottom-feeder like DraQ here.
Damn, you totally got me, this wasn't at all about you needlessly acting all defensive and attacking everyone who even dares to disagree with you, it was a hidden slight against DraQ, the lowest of all bottom-feeders.

Oh look, another hollow poster who ran out of arguments long ago, and so is now reduced to posting irrelevant nonsense in point-form because that's what people who lack complete thoughts tend to do.
Replace every integer by "then". There, problem solved? And you do realize this wasn't a list of arguments?

And no "rebuttal" forthcoming on my last post to you, lol? I guess you learned something then? And finally realized that bullshitting your way only takes you so far against those with genuine knowledge on a subject.
Do you mean the one from Wednesday 6:01pm? No, you answered my questions. And your answers confirmed your Sawyer/Tim Schafer attitude that if people aren't having fun with D2, they're not playing it the right way.

You had previously before this strongly implied or borderline explicitly stated that D2 had to be meta-gamed "the fuck out of" to beat it without plodding.
Reading skills fail. My claim was about having fun in D2 without meta-gaming.

You even pushed harder by "challenging" me on having beat it like a boss without meta-gaming.
The point wasn't to challenge you. Nor was it about meta-gaming as such. It was a genuine question about how often you play vanilla D2 SP the way it was designed to be played because your replies made you appear utterly oblivious to that play style in your evaluation of D2.

You also strongly implied, by falsely citing me, that 20hours of sub-par shit had to be waded through before Hell difficulty.
Oh yes, god forbid somebody poke fun at you. After you were such a sport and prudently refrained from using strawman arguments like nostalgia. Just two things. First, you're falsely citing me, I didn't say sub-par shit, I said not as good as what comes after 20h --- which is exactly what you said. Second, since you complain about missing replies: no reply to the release dates part of that post? By modus Lilurae, then, you concede the point. So no more writing off bottom-feeder DraQ as a nostalgia fag.

As for non-MXL mods, I've answered a few queries and even gone out of my way to provide links to people. What more do you fucking want?
I want to have a more substantive discussion about what makes MXL superior to those other mods, the base game, and also other hack-n-slashes. Partly because I'm genuinely curious. But also because you apparently felt that this is the one and only mod that deserves a thread, the one that codexers should play to have a fun Diablo experience (TM). And that's what all the arguments are about: what makes a game like Diablo fun. That's also why the D1/D2 comparison is important: these games are very similar but also have huge differences in gameplay, and it is not a given that somebody who likes one will also like the other.

Well, enough with the pointless bickering, here's how I see things in this respect. Warning: Giant wall of text incoming (I would structure it with bullet points, but Lilura disapproves).

D1 has gameplay that's a lot more action packed compared to D2 (1-player mode). Levels are smaller but have more things to do (book shelves, shrines, secret door ways if I remember correctly), enemies come in bigger packs, some mini-bosses have actual personality (Butcher, Snotspill, Garbage the Weak, King Leoric). Although the dungeons are randomly generated, they can look very different with every new game --- some have winding corridors with surrealist door placement, others chain many big rooms together, and so on. The set-piece mini-dungeons are sufficiently different and often involve minor puzzles (lever pulling in Leoric's tomb and to get Arkane's valor, reading a book to get access to the hall of the blind). All these qualities are lost to some extent after the catacboms, with the caves being the weakest area. However, they still make for a good contrast to the extremely gloomy catacombs, and the game is short enough that even a "degenerate plodder" will quickly reach the hell levels. Overall, the areas are varied and complement each other well, have plenty of stuff to do, and do not overstay their welcome. They are also incredibly atmospheric, thanks to consistent art direction with creative creature design, a kickass soundtrack, and memorable voice acting. The Hellfire expansion shows how hard this is to pull off: even though the nest and the crypt are closely modeled after other areas, something is off about them, they feel like from a different game. Personally, I blame the color palette.

D2 does all these things worse. The overworlds are very sparse in several respects. They are bigger, but enemy density is low in many areas, and there's few things to interact with. Most of the time they're just plain fields with little use of the z-axis, which would have made things more interesting (as DraQ mentioned, I think). Act 2 and 3 at least have a more organic design that sometimes creates natural bottlenecks through the use of rivers, trees, and rock formations, but it's still very little compared to D1, even if we only look at the caves. Dungeons are not randomly generated and differ little within one act, e.g. several caves in Act 1 that look exactly the same and the tombs in Act 2. Atmosphere suffers, among other things because bosses are underdeveloped. For instance, Andariel and Duriel just pop up out of nowhere, with no foreshadowing. Lazarus in D1 at least was mentioned a few times and got a cut scene to set the mood, plus a scary red town portal. it would have been nice to see something similar in D2, in particular because its cut scenes are easily one of the most memorable parts. Another issue is that the acts don't complement each other all that well, although I'm not sure why that is the case. The art style's are hugely different, the enemies are different, the set pieces are different. Yet going from one act to the other never feels as different as going from the catacombs to the caves, for instance.

Alright, enough about level design and atmosphere, on to combat mechanics and character builds. This is where D2 should be superior to D1 because its system has a lot more complexity. In D1, every encounter past level 8 can be boiled down "weed out the cannon fodder with fireball or chainlightning, use primary attack on the rest, heal if necessary". Before that, it is mostly an exercise in kiting (which you can do even with the reduced movement speed) and abusing bottlenecks if a mob is too big. That's not to say that there aren't cool fights, in particular if monsters have high resists or you have to dodge projectiles while luring a melee mob into a more advantageous position. But the two formulas I cited still work most of the time, and since classes only differ in casting speed, but not in which spells they can learn, fireball and chainlightning are must-haves for every class. And even a fighter profits from casting mana shield. All this is exacerbated by the fact that books can be purchased and gold is not in short supply, you can find enough magic raising items to push your character to 255 for learning spells, and past the caves there's no downside to spending attribute points on magic since you can max out your stats with elixiers anyways (the expansion's secret berserker class is the interesting exception from the rule). Towards the end of a run, the three classes thus tend to show some major similarities in play style, but the differences in attack and casting speed as well as max attributes still differentiates them enough that they don't play exactly the same. That's not necessarily a bad thing: when you finish Diablo on normal, it doesn't feel like you've just scratched the surface, you've actually maxed out your character, got decent loot, and overall there is a sense of closure. And if you want better loot, you can try nightmare and hell (although the improvements often aren't that big, from a lord's sword of speed to a king's sword of haste, and from a ring of the heavens to a ring of the zodiac). That's in fact your only option because there are no respawns, which encourages thorough exploration rather than harvesting the same area over and over again --- which is what I would consider degenerate playstyle.

D2's skill tree differentiates the classes a lot. And every class has its subtypes, like Zealot, Hammerdin and Flashadin for the Paladin. But the system also encourages creating one-trick ponies. It's not that just that you want to pick a few skills and spend all points on those, it's that you have to deliberately stall character progression until you get access to good skills. If you spread yourself out, or spend your skill points the moment you get them, you gimp yourself. And even if you just play normal SP the first time around you notice that because the cool Lvl 30 skills you finally got access to aren't any better than the level 1 skills you've put six or seven points in. And unless you move on to nightmare, you'll never see what they can actually do. In the case of the paladin, for instance, an SP run in normal is much easier if you just put points in low-level skills like might, sacrifice and zeal. But what you really want to do is try all those different skills like smite and charge to see what they do and how great they might be at higher levels. And you want to be able to dick around with different skills, just like you could try all the different spells in D1 if you got bored. D2 doesn't give you that option. So the system is complex enough to make tinkering with character builds fun, but the slow level progression makes the whole process incredibly tedious unless you use a trainer or can join a group on Battlenet to quickly go from level 1 to 50. You might count this as C&C, I see it as a deliberate stalling tactic similar to mining in Dungeon Keeper. Mobile (or whatever it's called). Personally, I don't understand why they couldn't just include the option to respec your characters at certain points in SP, e.g. as part of a quest or before you start a new difficulty level. As it is, a SP run has to save up skill points, which creates bumpy character progression where you are a push-over for many levels until you suddenly become a killing machine within one level-up. That was no fun in Gothic 2, where the cost explosion encouraged you to save up tablets, and it's not fun in D2 either.

Great, so now that we have a full treatise on where I'm coming from, you'll hopefully understand why I originally said that MXL sounds interesting after you mentioned that it speeds up character progression and increases enemy density. But that still leaves certain issues open, like atmosphere and the fact that D2's overworlds can't compare to D1's dungeons, and it doesn't look like MXL fixes that. The Back2Hellfire mod brings some of that back and keeps the skill system around, but ties it to non-purchasable books, which I like because it removes the character build OCD and forces you to make the best out of what you get. It pushes D2 a bit towards its rogue-like roots, and that's a clear improvement imho. But at the same time drops are rare (both for equipment and books), some areas that are recycled from D2 don't gel at all with the D1 atmosphere (replacing D1 caves by D2 Act 1 caves), and the teleporters are spread out so far that you can't just have a quick 1h session because of D2's stupid save system. So I'm not that happy with B2H either. It seems that no mod can completely remove the suck from D2 SP.

tl;dr: D1 is smaller, shorter, and less complex than D2 , but all of that works to its advantage.

Leonorai

Novice
I want to have a more substantive discussion about what makes MXL superior to those other mods, the base game, and also other hack-n-slashes. Partly because I'm genuinely curious.

I'm a random nobody that signed up to throw in my two bits about this mod and your discussion in general, seeing as the thread starter would rather rub his dick all over the screen for a few more decades before he decides to act like a human being.

In general, Median was praised above the rest of the repertoire due to its slightly higher production values. Laz made sure it wasn't another empty item/mob recoloring with some half-assed skill replacements, he even tried to tinker with the hard-coded stuff.

I don't know what his actual goal was as he did this, but eventually he conceded that the mod has no semblance of balance and every build does end up like a disco-ball onscreen at some point. Folks over at his community were having fun though, so not much changed.

He took some of the gamier aspects of Diablo and upped them as much as he could - mob and item variety, skill builds and whatnot, but it does completely destroy the atmosphere if you care about it. Barbarians with exploding barrels, the paladin being some purple demon nutjob on cocaine with lightning everywhere, the druid transforming into a gigantic quill rat or something. Of the skill redesigns i did like the sorceress the most, always wanted a poison one.

At some point he got bored of his creation and the endless bitching that got on his nerves and handed it over to some funky mexican or something, Marco-whatever his name is. Guy just flat out has no fucking clue what Diablo is about, trying to mod in obstacle courses and freaking references to stupid shit in the runewords.

The mod itself stands out with a higher difficulty than vanilla, more drop variety, some weird tier system, rather amateurish animations (at least he tried), invulnerable insta-death mobs that will fuck up your hardcore characters if you get close, new character builds and that's about it.

If you're into the loot aspect of it and not much else, you'll love it. You level a hell of a lot faster, in the third difficulty shit drops everywhere abundantly and the build options are sufficient. If you're into the lore and atmosphere/coherence aspects, you'll find this not very amusing.

If someone wants to make a mod that brings the crowd away from D3 and back into D2, he needs to screw the immunities (which this mod does the exact opposite of), make magic/rare items the theoretical best for any given build instead of dull runewords, remove that joke cow level with its easy drops, rework the synergies to avoid funneling people into a few basic viable builds, make sure each stat serves more than just requirement-food (energy could affect skill damage etc.), try and shrink down the levels and compact the action a bit, make hirelings grow a brain, remove the best drops from the final bosses and just spread them across all mobs (to avoid the trillion Baal runs) and possibly sprite a new monster or two (actual original art, instead of just ripping wholesale from other games).

Median doesn't aim for the above, it has its own niche and goal (to make the screen give you plenty of seizures perhaps).

I ramble, but i did play this game for a decade.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You'd think after playing the game for a decade you'd have noticed that energy DOES affect spell damage. Actually it accomplishes most of that shit.

Drawing the diablo 3 crowd back is impossible, because clearly the only thing they ever gave a fuck about was the graphics. If all the shitty systems and an always online requirement don't put you off that game, you clearly don't give a fuck about the actual gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Damn, you totally got me, this wasn't at all about you needlessly acting all defensive and attacking everyone who even dares to disagree with you, it was a hidden slight against DraQ, the lowest of all bottom-feeders.

The defensive ones are you and DraQ, who seem to think that the mere existence of a D2 mod is an attack on your precious D1. You both just wanted to say something, but had nothing to say because you lack a D2 knowledge pool to draw from, you are literally fucking epic noobs of D2. So you brought up D1, and fucking TES because you just had to say something, no matter what. And when I patiently and reasonably fended off your feeble attacks on the game, you both became trollish and started shitposting.

And your answers confirmed your Sawyer/Tim Schafer attitude that if people aren't having fun with D2, they're not playing it the right way.

Please, you're the one guilty of implying D2 SP is only fun for the highly skilled and knowledgeable...

My claim was about having fun in D2 without meta-gaming.

Where's your argument, though? I've already refuted your false claim by giving contrary examples stemming from direct and extensive experience, shared by a still-active D2 SP gaming population.

The point wasn't to challenge you. Nor was it about meta-gaming as such. It was a genuine question about how often you play vanilla D2 SP the way it was designed to be played because your replies made you appear utterly oblivious to that play style in your evaluation of D2.

lol, are you forreal?

You know what I find really quite amusing? The fact that after you questioned me on this particular point and I gave answer, I then offered to answer any questions you might have about the "intricacies", because obviously you doubted me/D2/something, right? But you didn't respond further because you couldn't formulate an informed question, right?

Contrary to your claims, you're not actually interested in deepening any discussion if that results in your exposure as an ignoramus.

I didn't say sub-par shit, I said not as good as what comes after 20h --- which is exactly what you said.

No, you didn't say "not as good" you said "hitting its stride". D2 hits its stride before Hell, Hell just ups the ante considerably. Someone like you will reach Hell and hit a brick wall, the opposite to a stride. Stop implying that Normal and Nightmare aren't worth playing, they are even in non-Hardcore for the reasons I stated in those spoiler blocks.

I want to have a more substantive discussion about what makes MXL superior to those other mods, the base game, and also other hack-n-slashes. Partly because I'm genuinely curious. But also because you apparently felt that this is the one and only mod that deserves a thread, the one that codexers should play to have a fun Diablo experience (TM). And that's what all the arguments are about: what makes a game like Diablo fun. That's also why the D1/D2 comparison is important: these games are very similar but also have huge differences in gameplay, and it is not a given that somebody who likes one will also like the other.

This requires you having solid knowledge of D2, though (I mean, later on in your post you expose yourself as not evening knowing D2 has respec)...

Most of the time they're just plain fields with little use of the z-axis, which would have made things more interesting
This has already been refuted by me, here:

Most of the Acts intersperse the overworld areas with underground zones to mix things up. These Acts aren't and Diablo 2 isn't as consistently "bland outdoor derp" as you falsely think.

Check it out:

A1: Den, Cave, Hole, Crypt, Mausoleum, Forgotten Tower, Pit, then the whole Monastery area and catacombs.
A2: Sewers, Stony Tomb, Halls of the Dead, Maggot Lair, Viper Temple, Ancients Tunnels, Palace, Arcane Sanctuary, then all the Tal Rasha tombs
A3: Arachnid Lair, Spider Cavern, Swampy Pit, Flayer Dungeon, Ruined Temple, Forgotten Relinquary, Disused Fane, and lastly Durance.
A5: Abaddon, Pit of Acheron, Crystalline Passage, Frozen River, Nihlathak's Temple, Drifter Cavern, Infernal Pit, Icy Cellar, and finally Worldstone.

Some of these are multiple-leveled, some have a few or several map variations. In higher difficulties, some zones like Durance are massively enlarged.

So yeah, you oversell the "bland outdoor derp".

I also already told you guys only the first act doesn't use z-axis. Lrn2read, pls.

For instance, Andariel and Duriel just pop up out of nowhere, with no foreshadowing.

Try speaking to lore-master Cain, next time.

D2's skill tree differentiates the classes a lot. And every class has its subtypes, like Zealot, Hammerdin and Flashadin for the Paladin. But the system also encourages creating one-trick ponies. It's not that just that you want to pick a few skills and spend all points on those, it's that you have to deliberately stall character progression until you get access to good skills. If you spread yourself out, or spend your skill points the moment you get them, you gimp yourself.

You generally don't save skillpoints that often, and not in a degree that even mildly adversely effects your power progression. I've done Hardcore runs of D2 and the only time I had more than three skills unassigned was when my Barb found a rare Necro dagger that was so good I didn't need to spend points on passive Mastery of actual barb weapons for half an act. Note also that if you gimp yourself in this respect that you only have yourself to blame. All current and future skills are clearly listed in their trees with concise descriptions on what they do and their synergies. If you end up spending 10 points in a first-tier skill and come off somewhat gimped then you're an idiot, pure and simple.

Note also that many actual monocled cRPGs held in the highest esteem by the Codex let you save skills, stats, feats and so on. I've never seen it as a problem. I also prefer a character building system that allows for gimpage or complete failure over total hand-holding.

And even if you just play normal SP the first time around you notice that because the cool Lvl 30 skills you finally got access to aren't any better than the level 1 skills you've put six or seven points in.

This is generally not the case, even one point spent in a top-tier skill will outstrip ten spent in a bottom-tier one, even without taking into account synergies.

And unless you move on to nightmare, you'll never see what they can actually do.

Irrelevant, because I and many others I know consider Normal -> Nightmare -> Hell to be three parts of one game, I again refer you to the spoiler quotes on the previous page that give reasons why many take this stance.

In the case of the paladin, for instance, an SP run in normal is much easier if you just put points in low-level skills like might, sacrifice and zeal. But what you really want to do is try all those different skills like smite and charge to see what they do and how great they might be at higher levels. And you want to be able to dick around with different skills

You can do that with other builds in other games, or use the once-per-difficulty respec option (3 total).

So the system is complex enough to make tinkering with character builds fun, but the slow level progression makes the whole process incredibly tedious unless you use a trainer or can join a group on Battlenet to quickly go from level 1 to 50.

This is just your narrow noob viewpoint, stop trying to pass if off as objective fact. Hardcore Normal can be done in 7-10 hours hitting clvl30, that's one or two sessions for people who call themselves "gamers". With that speed, you can easily get a good feel for various builds in a few days of gaming.

Plodders gon plod.

You might count this as C&C, I see it as a deliberate stalling tactic similar to mining in Dungeon Keeper.

You're paranoid.

Personally, I don't understand why they couldn't just include the option to respec your characters at certain points in SP, e.g. as part of a quest or before you start a new difficulty level.

Ahem, respec with Akara once-per-difficulty after completing Den of Evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom