Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Everybody and their mother is influenced by HP Lovecraft today. Do something new -- not interested anymore.

Can you list the number of good adventure games that were directly influenced on HP Lovecraft lore?
Shadows of the comet
Prisoner of Ice
Dark Corners of the Earth
The Hound of Shadow
Alone in the Dark (series)
Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness
Shadow Man
Eternal Darkness
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
Darkness Within 1 & 2
Penumbra (series)

Some you might not consider to be good or to be adventure games. Still, the lovecraftian horror theme has been too played out in video games for me to get excited about this.

I'm surprised nobody ever mentions Magrunner: Dark Pulse from the same dev. 3D puzzle (portal?) meets Cthulhu.

WVGqAuy.jpg

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I hate this notion that "Lovecraftian" is tantamount to having monsters with a ton of tentacles sticking out of their face. The actual monsters in Lovecraft stories appeared for - if they appeared at all - what, like 1 paragraph?

Scratches is an actually Lovecraftian game, as are the Frictional games, as they understand details like narrative framing. This game is probably gonna be some dumbfuck haunted house shit full of spooky octopus ghosts.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
this could be great.
holmes: the awakening was great.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Shadows of the comet
Prisoner of Ice
Dark Corners of the Earth
The Hound of Shadow
Alone in the Dark (series)
Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness
Shadow Man
Eternal Darkness
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
Darkness Within 1 & 2
Penumbra (series)

Some you might not consider to be good or to be adventure games. Still, the lovecraftian horror theme has been too played out in video games for me to get excited about this.

The Legacy: Realm of Terror had some Lovecraftian influences, I believe.

Dark Corners of the Earth wasn't a brilliant game, but it would have been an excellent first step, if the developer had gone straight to learning from its weak points in making another Cthulu game. Some parts worked really really well, but it degenerated badly once it starts becoming a shooter. The FBI raid on the cultists worked well (and there the FPS stuff felt earned, as a satisfying 'fuck you, I'm back with reinforcements' after finally escaping the town in the previous section). But even that was more of an 'explore and adventure' section - a well-earned moment of relief after all the running and hiding in the previous parts. The later shooter parts were terrible, but they also weren't necessary for that kind of game - you could easily have made something just using the styles of the 1st three sections (adventure game section, stealth + run-like-fuck section, and exploration-with-ocassional-gunplay section).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...-the-call-of-cthulhu-in-2017/#comment-2146901

Well, in the manner of a good Call of Cthulhu investigator, I did a bit more digging… and it turns out that Frogwares might STILL be working on a Lovecraftian game (just not an official ‘Call of Cthulhu’ game, based on the Chaosium RPG).

In December of last year, they were reassuring people that they would still be working on a Lovecraft game: link to twitter.com

And then, as recently as last week, they were still confirming that they were working on it: link to twitter.com

So, we could be getting two Lovecraftian adventure games! Maybe RPS could reach out to Frogwares / Cyanide / Focus Home Interactive to try to correlate the contents?

Crooked Bee Drama detected?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...-the-call-of-cthulhu-in-2017/#comment-2146901

Well, in the manner of a good Call of Cthulhu investigator, I did a bit more digging… and it turns out that Frogwares might STILL be working on a Lovecraftian game (just not an official ‘Call of Cthulhu’ game, based on the Chaosium RPG).

In December of last year, they were reassuring people that they would still be working on a Lovecraft game: link to twitter.com

And then, as recently as last week, they were still confirming that they were working on it: link to twitter.com

So, we could be getting two Lovecraftian adventure games! Maybe RPS could reach out to Frogwares / Cyanide / Focus Home Interactive to try to correlate the contents?

Crooked Bee Drama detected?

I see. That may explain the phrasing of this tweet, then: https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/703274763402268672

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This thread should probably be merged with the one in GRPGD.

Something like the atmosphere/puzzles/writing from the Darkness Within games with added RPG elements would be fantastic. I want to believe. But Azathoth, C'thulhu and Nyarlathotep would not approve. They are all about :negative: after all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thread should probably be merged with the one in GRPGD.

Something like the atmosphere/puzzles/writing from the Darkness Within games with added RPG elements would be fantastic. I want to believe. But Azathoth, C'thulhu and Nyarlathotep would not approve. They are all about :negative: after all.
It's not the same game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Officially announced as The Sinking City, open world investigation Lovecraftian game: http://frogwares.com/sinking-city-news/

The Sinking City and Other news

The Sinking City has been in the making for some time, and we just start to talk about it. We have some new artworks and game screenshot for you.

--

Dear Fans and Friends,

2015 was an interesting year for Frogwares with a lot of changes, and a lot of good things.

After turning 15 years old, and many adventures, the team at the studio made the decision to do games differently.

We believe that the tools available to create today’s games, along with our experience and our will to innovate as we did with Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments, should bring us to do bigger games, deeper games.

Few days ago, if you follow us, you could watch the amazing cinematic trailer for Devil’s Daughter, and today we have few more news for you.
  • First is our new web site that should allow us to exchange with you more easily and keep you updated about our games.
  • Next news is the Sinking City. Our Open world investigation Lovecraftian game. Yes, you read well. Open World, Investigation and Lovecraft.
It’s bigger than what we’ve ever made and we feel it’s the right next step for us, bringing the investigations to be free and opened in the city. We also believe that Lovecraft universe, Cthulhu Mythos is the right setting for the game.

The Lovecraft/Cthulhu setting has been dear to us for years. In 2016, we’ll celebrate the 10 years of Sherlock Holmes the Awakened, a Sherlockian/Lovecraftian adventure, a game that was seen as a milestone in narrative adventure gaming back then.

We are thrilled to be given the possibility to innovate with the games we love. We hope you’ll like it too.
  • Finally the GDC is coming very soon and we’ll present both games, Sherlock Holmes Devil’s Daughter and The Sinking City with demo versions.
Devil’s Daughter will be shown in the main floor booth 124

Sinking City will be shown at the North Hall booth 2649

Please write us if you want to meet there, contact page is around somewhere.

“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
— H.P. Lovecraft, “The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories”

The Sinking City is a game of investigation genre taking place in a fictional open world inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

The player incarnates a private investigator in 1920s, who finds himself in a city of New England, Oakmont Massachusetts. It’s currently suffering from extensive waterflood, and its cause is clearly supernatural. The city trembles on the brink of madness.

Can you investigate this beleaguered town and untangle the tragic extent of its failings or will you be driven beyond madness yourself?

Release Date: TBD

screenshot_1920.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't know about you guys, but (in)conveniently placed machine gun on that guy's back already has me nervous. And this looks pretty good which means they need the game to actually sell well, probably beyond what Sherlock adventures are pulling in. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom