Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games That Made You Go...SHIT

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
All these people with hearts torn apart by Invisible War... Bitch, I couldn't stomach the original Deus Ex beyond some part with an airplane.
:decline:
Sex indeed bad.

At least when sexbad's parents do it.
:martini:
There was a nice part in a subway where I had to rescue some hostages from a terrorist group. I snuck through some vents to the back end of the subway station where the hostages were being held, and discovered that they were right next to a train. I left the safety of the vents and tried to hide behind a support pillar. The AI noticed me, but once I was behind the pillar, he stopped noticing me at all. I was close enough to the hostages to interact with them, but they were either being directly guarded by somebody in front of them, or if not, they were being watched by the rest of the terrorists. Nevertheless, I pressed the use key on them, and this sent them running to the subway train with no objection whatsoever from the surrounding terrorists. I then slipped back into the vents, noticed at first but then ignored, like the first time I showed up, and then I remembered that I had to board the train as well. I walked up to the train, presumably without anybody noticing, and immediately ended up at the next level. That sure is great!!!

A user named cat

Do the Metroid Prime games count as FPSes?
A proper FPS with an auto-aim? Sure, why not...

:roll:

Not that these were bad games, but not necessarily good shooters (played only MP1 for ~1h, didn't like the slowdowns in Dolphin).
Yeah you really don't want to play the MP games through Dolphin. They run like shit for me too in certain areas and are GPU heavy. Better off grabbing a cheap Gamecube off eBay and getting both games for dirt cheap. I recall finding them for $5 each. Talking about the first two of course, never bothered with part 3 because fuck Wii.

Even with the lock-on aim which you don't have to use on enemies, they're still pretty great and challenging in parts. Lots of exploration, plenty of lore and they nailed the alien atmosphere. Only real issue I had with them was all the damn backtracking but that complaint can be aimed at any Metroid/Metroidvania.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Inquisitor. Promised a deep plot, engaging dialogues, choices and consequences. First thing that happens in the game:
"Sorry, m'lud, but you can't enter the town unless you kill all bats in the vicinity."

You do know that you van call out the guard on that bullshit and leave the bats be, still go to the town?

Diablo II - lawn mover simulator with no redeeming qualities

FO:NV - the engine makes me seasick and is offensively bad in general

DA2 - like Diablo II but worse.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
How anyone has mentioned anything besides OBLIVION is beyond me.
That game is easily the worst AAA Mountain Dew Dorrito game I've ever played. Call of Duty and Gears of War are better because, at the very least, they are games.

Here's a little something I wrote about Oblivion awhile back, and it still holds true to this day...

The enemy/loot level scaling was the worst I've ever encountered. I couldn't even suspend my disbelief and pretend everything was cool and I was enjoying my vacation in Cyrodiil. At level 1 you could explore EVERYWHERE and even beat the game, although you'd do it with a rusty sword and a potato sack, because at level 1 you will neither find a challenge nor find semi-decent loot. Once I realized that there was nothing to fear (nor gain) in the depths of any ruin, cave, region, or oblivion, and it was actually my advancing level that posed a danger (or presented treasure), I was through. I got about 1/3 through before the visual beauty wore off and my boredom couldn't let me continue. The level scaling renders EVERY aspect of the character development useless, so there really is no point in talking about character development and skill points. It is THE DEAL BREAKER with this game.

m_s0

Arcane
All of the hour or so of Fallout 3 before uninstalling.
Come on, the tech demo isn't THAT long... :smug:

But yeah, same feeling here, only I was so starved I gave that abomination more than an hour of my life despite knowing better. Soul-crushing is how I'd describe that thing.
Can't understand all the butthurt about games that were always going to be crap - there was reason enough to think that Oblivion might resemble Morrowind, but really, what is with this 'I played FO3 and got something worse than I expected' bullshit?
Well, I expected shit, but it turned out I wasn't ready for "Fallout 3".

Telengard

Arcane
I also got save corruption at 22.5 hours. But that's just my technology fate.
How anyone has mentioned anything besides OBLIVION is beyond me.
That game is easily the worst AAA Mountain Dew Dorrito game I've ever played. Call of Duty and Gears of War are better because, at the very least, they are games.

Here's a little something I wrote about Oblivion awhile back, and it still holds true to this day...

The enemy/loot level scaling was the worst I've ever encountered. I couldn't even suspend my disbelief and pretend everything was cool and I was enjoying my vacation in Cyrodiil. At level 1 you could explore EVERYWHERE and even beat the game, although you'd do it with a rusty sword and a potato sack, because at level 1 you will neither find a challenge nor find semi-decent loot. Once I realized that there was nothing to fear (nor gain) in the depths of any ruin, cave, region, or oblivion, and it was actually my advancing level that posed a danger (or presented treasure), I was through. I got about 1/3 through before the visual beauty wore off and my boredom couldn't let me continue. The level scaling renders EVERY aspect of the character development useless, so there really is no point in talking about character development and skill points. It is THE DEAL BREAKER with this game.
FYI: Not everyone has played Oblivion. Managing to duck that one was one of my great scores.

Avellion

Erudite
Vehicle Sections in Half Life 2 (at least the game was good though so I still got around to beating it).
"I want to be a Dragon" in the Dragon Age 2 demo
All that filler in Dragon Age Origins.
The combat in Kingdoms of Amalur.
Everything with Unreal 2.
30% chance to hit a massive target at point blank range with a shotgun in XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
Overpowered heroes in any RTS that has them.
Overpowered perks and level up bonuses in multiplayer games.
The first Living Story update in Guild Wars 2.
The first 10 minutes of Oblivion.
The Dialogue wheel in Mass Effect.

Do the Metroid Prime games count as FPSes? If so, then those were some legit good console shooters and everyone should play them at least once. They even had a decent control scheme and didn't make using a controller a nightmare.
Yes, they count as FPSes (First Person Scanners).

Psquit

Arcane
Alice Madness Returns- I was hyped with this one since i loved the first one...

CnC 4- I was expecting a clone of CnC 3 insted i got aids made flesh.

Black and white 2- Game was a huge let down.

Syndicate- that game got raped harder than any Game of thrones character

Pretty much every sequel that ends up sucking ass.

I enjoyed the South Park game, but many of the 'press X really fast' mechanics didn't work on my keyboard. This included the toilet mechanic - I always failed, no matter how quickly I mashed the button. Yes, I had literal intent in exclaiming 'Shit, goddamit it!'

Oblivion - When I saw characters faces: "It's because my card don't have them pixel shaders and I use oldblivion, right? RIGHT?!" Nope, not at all.

Fallout 3 - When I came out some chick's vagina during character creation "I remember I was excited when I heard Bethesda bought right for Fallout, good times"

Neverwinter Nights 2 - When I met Neeshka and was forced to accept her in my party.

Rome 2 Total War - When enemy sieged my city four times always doing jack shit during battles until timer ran out.

Empire Total War - When AI kept telling it's cannon crew to abandon the cannon and try to scale my walls during siege.

Dawn of War 2 Singleplayer campaign - :popamole:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lands of Lore 2. - I really liked LoL 1 and then I installed LoL 2 and I got this... this... abomination! And those horrible FMV sequences. And the actors, oh jesus. The jungle city made me quit it then.

Last edited:

Durwyn

Prophet
Actually combat was the least fucked up thing in Amalur, pretty well done actiony button masher if you like the style. Only thing that kept me interested in the game for a while. The blandness of the setting and MMO-like quest and world design was the worst part for me.

Disgruntled

Savant
Well, one comes to mind right now.

HoI3. Forcing myself to play and learn it. I picked Cuba to start off with. Confusion aside, it wouldnt let me start a war with a small neighboring state, it also wouldnt let me make fundamental changes that maybe could allow that war without jumping through 30 hoops I couldnt care to spend 4 hours learning about. Extremely anti-fun game to beginners.

Koschey

Arcane
You do know that you van call out the guard on that bullshit and leave the bats be, still go to the town?

I do know, though I have to admit I didn't try it then, because the option sounded so biowarian 'Grah, I'll kill you for slightly inconveniencing me and afterwards, I'll eat a baby'-evil. Instead I did start going after the bats, but was greeted by stiff animations and choppy controls (played a bow wielding character; thief I think). Between that and the uninspired writing the game began to shape up to be crap, so I just cut my losses then and there. The codex review confirmed most of my concerns and the parts I didn't get to didn't sound particularly appealing. I never looked back.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
Actually combat was the least fucked up thing in Amalur, pretty well done actiony button masher if you like the style. Only thing that kept me interested in the game for a while. The blandness of the setting and MMO-like quest and world design was the worst part for me.
If the combat was the least fucked up thing about that game, I dread seeing how bad the quests, lore and world design were.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Time Crisis: Razing Storm's "story mode"(aka FPS mode) made me say SHIT in less than a minute due to the godawful motion controls.

Fortunately, that title came with proper light gun games like Time Crisis 4, Deadstorm pirates and Razing storm arcade.

Keshik

Arcane
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - the whole super soldier trio, the hordes of Mexican terrorists in Nevada that the US Army can't be fucked to deal with and then a gunship boss.

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising as well. Just everything in that game, from the premise of Russia asking the US to help them fight China onward.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Iron Front Liberation 1944. I recognized it for the turd sandwich that it was on the very first actual (post-training) mission in the Soviet campaign,
when I was able to walk right up to three Wehrmacht soldiers (literally face to face) and shoot them in the face....on the most realistic AI settings. While my squadmates stood around contemplating their existence in the universe and the dirt beneath their feet. And NPC friendly tanks drove over and over again into a building. *rage uninstall*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom