Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you've genuinly enjoyed recently?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
- Brothers, A Tale of Two Sons
- Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
- Shank

I can recommend all of them with clear conscience, although get Brothers at a discount as it is really short (around 3 hours).

Dev_Anj

Learned
- Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death

I really wonder why people don't recommend this game more often. It's a generic hack n slash on the surface, but it has so much stupid stuff in it that it gets funny in spurts. I especially like the whole B movie vibe, especially with the ore mining facility that actually has a big lava pit and a section where you ride a tram mounted with a machine gun around a huge machine, or the Indefenestrable.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Axiom Verge
Metal Gear Rising
Primordia
Resonance
Strike Suit Zero
Expeditions: Conquistador
Dynasty Warriors 8, Samurai Warriors 4 (I don't know what is it with these games. They seem shitty, but I can't stop playing)

A user named cat

GTA 5

Had to Youtube the other endings because it would've made no asshole sense to dog on Michael or Trevor.

Dynasty Warriors 8, Samurai Warriors 4 (I don't know what is it with these games. They seem shitty, but I can't stop playing)

Same here. Going through my list, it's like "shit gameplay, shit reward system, level/loot scaling, shit for this reason, shit for that reason, Blood, Fallout, Arcanum, shit, shit, shit, oh, Samurai Warriors Empires/Kessen I, well, better than nothing".

Johannes

Arcane
Creeper World 3
Stacraft 2
GTA V

Been playing SC2 online lately, but I'm holding off until I have some free time to play it with Mass Recall, which is the original SC + BW campaigns remade in SC2's engine.
What's the point in that? It's like playing BG2 remade into Dragon Age engine.

zwanzig_zwoelf

King's Field (the first one, which wasn't released outside of Japan).
Currently playing throught the second game (aka King's Field in US) and having fun. I'm a big sucker for early 3d games, especially early 3d rpgs, no matter how simple they are, and PS1 has tons of these games (while I remember only a few of them on PC, like Soulbringer, Summoner, Wiz8 and (ugh) Ultima 9).

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
gtaV and shadowrun:dragonfall (11/10)

i've never played a shadowrun game before and i realized i've really been missing out

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Crysis 1 (played it for the first time). It took 4 hours until I got the hang of it, but then I could enjoy it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I though I was fed off with FPSes after heavy tests of Stalker mods. Then someone linked DukePlus for DN3D.
It surprised me also because I never though about another playthrough of DN3D. It add lot of things but all of them can be switched on/off. And most (if not all) are really cool.
Another surprise - Doom and WADs for it. I didn't liked it decade and more ago, same few years ago. Then tested with Beautiful Doom (Brootal Doom is overrated and fed off p. fast) and finished all Doom1+2+TNT+Plutonia.
Absolutely fantastic. And refreshing.

Astral Rag

Arcane
New stuff:
*Killing Floor 2, enjoying this as much as the original game, played mostly single player so far because I cannot into playing with randoms and my KF buddies are AWOL ATM.

*GTA 5, incredible game that's even better with the right mods and the best mods are yet to come.

*Assetto Corsa best modern racing sim, can be drop-dead gorgeous too. No subscription or nickel–and–dime BS just pure racing goodness. Highly moddable as well.

Older games:
*Had a lot of fun cooping through several custom Doom wads lately. I also replayed Blood and I started playing Death Wish (great custom campaign for Blood), keeping an eye on our Blood thread and will no doubt keep updating my Doomwad and Blood txt files.
*Turns out that recording a MI longplay is genuinely enjoyable too if somewhat stressy.
*I enjoyed replaying VTMB and DK2 before that.
*Played a lot of Doom and Quake maps as always.

:happytrollboy:

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I haven't gotten too far in it yet, but it seems promising. It's got style, I just got through an actual difficult boss fight (playing on hard) and it's actually fun to move around and use the different guns and find secrets and shit. Only gripe so far is that it is overly linear. There's a huge chunk of the map I'd like to be fiddling with right now but I can't because I got here via a one way passage so the only place to use a bunch of the shit I have is nearby. I think I could have circumvented this by not saving in this area and dying on purpose to respawn back there, but I've no idea if sequence breaking that would actually be worthwhile.

Blackguards was a very pleasant surprise for me. Had absolutely not expected such a solid effort and the level of challenge it provided. Too bad that they dropped the ball so hard with the sequel.

Right now I'm also enjoying the heck out of Nahlakh, but that one is hardly a recent game so it probably doesn't count.

pippin

I haven't gotten too far in it yet, but it seems promising. It's got style, I just got through an actual difficult boss fight (playing on hard) and it's actually fun to move around and use the different guns and find secrets and shit. Only gripe so far is that it is overly linear. There's a huge chunk of the map I'd like to be fiddling with right now but I can't because I got here via a one way passage so the only place to use a bunch of the shit I have is nearby. I think I could have circumvented this by not saving in this area and dying on purpose to respawn back there, but I've no idea if sequence breaking that would actually be worthwhile.

Sounds like Fusion or Zero Mission then. Not really bad, imo. I'll probably buy it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Played it some more. Loving it. Nails everything, and it does open up quite a bit later on. Awesome secrets to find, cool boss fights, even a decently interesting plot. Great atmosphere too. Rewards good play very well. Honestly it might even outdo Metroid in my eyes at this rate.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I immensely enjoyed playing the last remake of Avernum. I hadn't played this game since its early Exile days and, surprisingly, this game really grabbed me. Decent writing, good dungeons, some nice hard fights but where the game really excels is exploration. Vogel may be milking the same stuff for years, but what he does he does good.

Also, I've been playing the Ultimate Torment and Torture doom wad, which is a fucking awesome huge game by its own merit. I've been raving about it in the doom wads thread :
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...heretic-hexen-wads.78193/page-11#post-3914786
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...heretic-hexen-wads.78193/page-11#post-3917718

Nahel

Arcane
Shadowrun DragonFall and Sid Meier Alpha Centauri. The question is how can we pass from this to Civ 5 and beyond Earth. Just copying the game in higher resolution would have been better and faster....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom