Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

General RPG discounts/sales thread

Zetor

Arcane
Hard West at 50% maybe? (well, the collector's edition is at a 60% discount putting it at the same pricepoint -- no point in buying the standard edition now)

Lhynn

Arcane
Tale of Wuxia

I heard that the translation is awful. The game looks interesting, a friend of mine gave it to me this month (he saw it on my wishlist), but I didn't test it yet.
Ask Lhynn about it.
Great game, translation ranges from decent to google translate, and some of it is untranslated. Systems are great, story is fun, theres C&C and the first 30 hours of the game are great if you like stuff like princess maker. The endgame is underdeveloped but 2 free expansions roughly the size of the base game each are coming, and they will be free.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Is risen 3 worth $5? I've never played 2 so the copy paste locations I hear so much about should not bother me.

Drowed

Arcane
(...) and the first 30 hours of the game are great if you like stuff like princess maker.

Dafuq is princess...

img-64.png

Oh. Wow. That's a lot of 'stats'.

I watched some videos on youtube, so... I'm guessing that in Tale of Wuxia (according to what I've seen in the gameplay of this Princess Maker) you choose which stats you will increase when choosing certain activities in the game, and then these stats are used in checks for C&C? Or something like that?

Lhynn

Arcane
img-64.png

I watched some videos on youtube, so... I'm guessing that in Tale of Wuxia (according to what I've seen in the gameplay of this Princess Maker) you choose which stats you will increase when choosing certain activities in the game, and then these stats are used in checks for C&C? Or something like that?
Sort of, yeah, only that some activities are involving yourself with other characters, learning about them in scripted events, a lot of them with C&C. improving relationships will allow you to access very special events which can further help you develop your character in ways that would be impossibly by merely practicing.

Some events are not open if you dont have the right stuff, and in others your stats get checked against a set difficulty, if you fail things can go badly. Combats are all scripted in the game, no random encounters, and most of them can be found in these events as well. Fighting is important because its the only way to build up your "combat" stat, which directly improves your damage and also every fight rewards you with attack, damage, hp and mp in very small quantities, but it does end up being a sizeable amount over the course of the game. Tho there are a few scenarios where losing is desirable, and in most scenarios losing doesnt lead to gave over, just missing the event forever.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I played that shit with nude mods and the tits increasing pills and turned her into a hooker in the ending.

I was such a degenerate.

Drowed

Arcane
Tho there are a few scenarios where losing is desirable, and in most scenarios losing doesnt lead to gave over, just missing the event forever.

Oh? There are events when losing is better? This is interesting. It's something you can deduce from the events before the fight (like, "well, it's better to lose this fight so I won't "provoke" this guy and his family/group/guild), or is the kind of thing that comes completely out of nowhere and you could never predict unless you have playet it before?

Lhynn

Arcane
Oh? There are events when losing is better? This is interesting. It's something you can deduce from the events before the fight (like, "well, it's better to lose this fight so I won't "provoke" this guy and his family/group/guild), or is the kind of thing that comes completely out of nowhere and you could never predict unless you have playet it before?
You can see the victory condition on the upper right corner of the screen. if it says what turn it is, then you have to beat your enemy. If it says 1/X in green, then you have to survive or beat your enemy, if its in red then you have to beat your enemy before the counter ends. In some fights it can be misleading tho, and you have to take into account the story reasons for this fight and whom you are fighting against, maybe you want that person to be your ally, maybe you dont want to hurt that persons feelings, etc.
Some fights results can have long reaching consequences. And yeah, its pretty interesting, forces you to be aware of whats happening, which isnt hard tbh, characters are very likeable in general and the rough translation never gets in the way of you knowing whats happening.

You know what, ignore my advice earlier in this thread about buying Gothics from Steam. I bought them, and they don't even work. Some Access violation BS error that crashes G1 right off the bat, which according to google is a well known bug, but I guess it's not a populat enough game for Gaben to bother. Also, buying them reminded me of how much shit Steam is with its intrusive crap. Send your hard earned monies to gog and gamersgate instead, men.

(...) and the first 30 hours of the game are great if you like stuff like princess maker.

Dafuq is princess...

img-64.png

Princess Maker is such an unappreciated gem. Not only stats play is great and different stats leads to one of 70 different endings,( and those endings have different outcomes, further depending on stats, like a bandit with a low intelligence gets caught, with a high is successful), but it has a great reactivity. Will you sell a sword you got as a prize from the king? You will get caught by an inspection and your reputations drops. Will you paint a great picture? It will be displayed on a wall. Did you befriend a prime minister? You will have easier time passing dancing competition held by him.

Atchodas

Augur
And we moved from crpg steam discounts to discussing jrpg trash , nicely done , now pls gtfo with ur gay princess shit

kain611

Augur
I have a copy of Windward that I would like to trade someone on steam. If you have something or just want windward let me know.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
And we moved from crpg steam discounts to discussing jrpg trash , nicely done , now pls gtfo with ur gay princess shit

Jrpg trash would be final fantasy, dragon quest and its clones. PM is good jrpg, son.

Atchodas

Augur
Implying ur old enough to be my father ( atleast 45 years old then ) and play princess maker ?

dagrims

Educated
Serpent in the Staglands
Balrum
Knights of Honor - whoops, RTS not RPG
Thea: The Awakening

Four more games purchased at a solid discount that will likely sit as desktop icons for a couple years before I get around to playing them.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So guys, this Planet Alcatraz, i read about some people here praising it. What can you compare it to? What are the strengths of the game?

Is risen 3 worth $5? I've never played 2 so the copy paste locations I hear so much about should not bother me.

There is a mod out there that tweaks much of the gamebalance and puts it closer to Gothic1+2 difficulty. I'd say regarding this, yes, its worth 5 bucks. Its better than anything Bethesda put out after all, even in Vanilla.

Planet Alcatraz or Dungeon Cleaners can be compared to anything that starts out on a high note and ends up being a complete slog to finish.
It starts out well because of the setting, a team sent undercover to a prison planet. And because so few of us have the gift of foresight(read yours truly didn't look into the game before trying it) the combat is pretty good and so is the character system supporting it.

Later on when early game scarcity is long gone, missions/quest end up being mostly about mindless killing and one is too stubborn to put the game down and just uninstall it it is quite awful. This only my experience though.

Edit.

As an added note if you have played through Fallout Tactics and/or Silent Storm you ought to consider trying Planet Alcatraz. Not comparing the quality of the three in any way whatsoever.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom