Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Like just about every other Spiders games, I think it's a "looks worse than it feels" situation. Unfortunate that the story appears to be almost entirely this lame Goody Two Shoes Noble Savages vs Evil Colonizers type of deal that I talked about pretty early on in the thread. Really not a fan of that at all. I hope you can choose who to join, but that remains to be seen I suppose.
Yeah,it appears that way. But Spiders do know how to write a good story,all of their games have either good or at least solid writing. I doubt that it will be that simple as good vs evil. Also a plus is that the "noble savages" are good looking white women :bounce:.

Modron

Arcane
The combat is ...
:prosper:
I kind of wonder if it's just the case that the LPer just is bad at it; I've seen plenty of action game vids where the player in question really fails to highlight nuances. Hell I imagine me fighting bosses in Yakuza 0 looks really sloppy compared to some players.

Big Wrangle

Spiders doesn't have a history of good combat systems, so I'm not sure.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
No problem. Its just Mars War Logs, Bound by flame, Technomancer re-skin.

If you prefer play same re-skins of same game over and over, no problem.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
No problem. Its just Mars War Logs, Bound by flame, Technomancer re-skin.

If you prefer play same re-skins of same game over and over, no problem.
Those three games didn't even play the same.

Clunky avatar movement with non-responsive controls, stiff animations for everybody, there is almost no fluidity in the fights, flashy attack moves without purpose, little reactivity from fights participants, almost non-existent targeting, over-reliance on instant dodge/riposte, all melee weapons feel the same, HP sponge mobs with retarded AOE attacks, shitty encounters design and most importantly it's grindy as fuck - once you learn the recipe for a specific build then you will do the same thing again and again and again until the game is over.

I agree that the latest video shows more polish but at core it's the same half-arsed combat system from Mars: War Logs. They think it's a good combat system and there is no need to improve it but ... they should ask Obsidian about having the stigma for producing half-arsed games. Sooner or later it will catch up with them.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
In the final chapter they are,but i don't remember having such a problem in the earlier parts of the game. I remember that they are more of a damage deliverers and the game is pretty hard.
Lawl, no. The enemies were pretty damagespongey at almost any point of the game. The game wasn't very hard, the only hard part was the annoying backtracking due to infinitely respawning enemies. The final boss though, I gave up on that. They patched out a glitch where you could kill it in a second by abusing mines too, so I just watched the ending I would have gotten on Youtube instead. I will note though, the music in BBF was excellent, it was a Olivier Deriviere production and as per usual he did great. I'm still curious as to who is making Greedfall's OST, as I'd absolutely love to hear him again but nothing is pointing to him making it just yet.
Here's a video of the final boss that showcases both the music and the absurdity of the HP pool that it has. This guy cheesed the fight by having a billion mana potions and spamming the flame attack but I had expended all of my supplies by that point.

Does anyone know the budget of Spiders' games?
Today, Spiders employs more than twenty people, in addition to a number of freelancers and authors.
Probably under 40 people total and a budget less than 10m euros for most of their games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In the final chapter they are,but i don't remember having such a problem in the earlier parts of the game. I remember that they are more of a damage deliverers and the game is pretty hard.
Lawl, no. The enemies were pretty damagespongey at almost any point of the game. The game wasn't very hard, the only hard part was the annoying backtracking due to infinitely respawning enemies. The final boss though, I gave up on that. They patched out a glitch where you could kill it in a second by abusing mines too, so I just watched the ending I would have gotten on Youtube instead. I will note though, the music in BBF was excellent, it was a Olivier Deriviere production and as per usual he did great. I'm still curious as to who is making Greedfall's OST, as I'd absolutely love to hear him again but nothing is pointing to him making it just yet.
Here's a video of the final boss that showcases both the music and the absurdity of the HP pool that it has. This guy cheesed the fight by having a billion mana potions and spamming the flame attack but I had expended all of my supplies by that point.

Does anyone know the budget of Spiders' games?
Today, Spiders employs more than twenty people, in addition to a number of freelancers and authors.
Probably under 40 people total and a budget less than 10m euros for most of their games.

That boss was pretty hard if you choose to fight him and not cheese it. Vampyr also did have some pretty cool fights now that i remember. As for the sponges...well i don't remember it that way,maybe a different builds? I do tend to go full damage and attack in such games.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Vampyr also did have some pretty cool fights now that i remember. As for the sponges...well i don't remember it that way,maybe a different builds? I do tend to go full damage and attack in such games.

Vampyr was made by Dontnod. The combat was not great either but at least it was fluid.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Vampyr also did have some pretty cool fights now that i remember. As for the sponges...well i don't remember it that way,maybe a different builds? I do tend to go full damage and attack in such games.

Vampyr was made by Dontnod. The combat was not great either but at least it was fluid.
Yeah,i know mate. The game have fluid yet boring combat. Still it had pretty cool boss battles,the sister battle particularly did turn me on :).

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd have tolerated Technomancer's combat more had it not been for
the
mother
fucking
respawning
enemies
2 years later and I still have nightmare thinking about that shit :despair:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Agree to the max. It was pretty hellish to go back and forth and have the same god damn enemies there all the time. The Technomancer's combat was good, but not good enough to tolerate for that much backtracking.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Agree to the max. It was pretty hellish to go back and forth and have the same god damn enemies there all the time. The Technomancer's combat was good, but not good enough to tolerate for that much backtracking.
I normally hate respawns but they didn't bother me that much in technomancer....maybe i am a fan,can't say.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Replay the game and go do the sidequests outside of Abundance that lead you back into it. You WILL grow to hate the fucking tunnels.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Replay the game and go do the sidequests outside of Abundance that lead you back into it. You WILL grow to hate the fucking tunnels.
When i do a game i do it right. All side quests and shit on 100%. Also i know to do a bunch of quests in one go and not run around for every single one. Still Respawns are shit,but they were needed to save money from level design.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'd have tolerated Technomancer's combat more had it not been for
the
mother
fucking
respawning
enemies
2 years later and I still have nightmare thinking about that shit :despair:
You know you can just run right by them... Right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom