Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still I love their games, especially the Mars saga. They sure provide a breath of fresh air in the industry. Hopefully after Greedfall 2 they return to the Red Planet. I really want to know where they go with the setting and its mysteries.

It'd be nice to get a new sci-fi-ish "Kotorlike" ( :-P ) from them but i'd rather see a new setting or at least a different spin on an existing one. The thing is, their settings are unique but they are not very deeply thought/fleshed out (they are closer to backdrops in a theater, meant to evoke some atmosphere/feeling) and i feel repeated "visits" to the same settings will make this stand out.

Also aside from Technomancer being set on the same universe as Mars: War Logs (but from a very different perspective) they never made any sequels before and the fact that they're going back to Greedfall and even calling it "Greedfall 2" makes me worry a bit.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Finished The Technomancer. Overall really enjoyed it. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread they have to revisit the universe. I wholeheartedly agree.

The backtracking. THE BACKTRACKING. I was warned. I thought that would suffice. I was wrong ... though the warning did help a little. I guess what got me with the backtracking was how the storytelling didn't really support it. The idea that "We got the get out of OPHIR NOW! Everyone wants us dead we can NEVER go back". Of course, except for the plethora of times we do go back. Again, and again, and AGAIN. It just didn't make sense. Anyway, I suspended disbelieve and enjoyed it.

I want Greedfall 2 now and am really keeping my fingers crossed for a new game in the Mars/The Technomancer universe.

Go with God, gentleman!

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
So in the mood for more jank. Apologies that this is the wrong thread though.

Elex 2 and Risen 3 Complete edition are on sale and I can get both for $12'merican. What say you, gentleman? If, "Yes, go for it!" Which should I play first do you recommend? Played Elex 1 and liked it, haven't touched a risen game though.

Anyway, thoughts and suggestions appreciated as always.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Valid question, Modron. I don't really have a good answer though. Would not wanting to play through all three suffice? I have it in my library. Should probably do that then.

Modron

Arcane
Risen 1 is PB's best outing after G1-2. Risen 2 was one of their worst, massive consolization, demand from publishers to make it pirate related, much linear world design, and lots of other compounding factors. Risen 3 was a step in a better direction from 2 but still not a quite a return to form as say Elex 1.

Jinn

Arcane
Valid question, Modron. I don't really have a good answer though. Would not wanting to play through all three suffice? I have it in my library. Should probably do that then.
ELEX 2 and Risen 3 are a couple of the worst Pirahna Bytes games available to you, besides Risen 2 which is the worst of all. Play every other game they made, then resort to these when you're going through withdrawal.

EDIT: Goddamn you were on the ball with that snake, Modron. I should have guessed though. Any passionate PB fan would be.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Eish. Thanks Jinn and Modron. Guess I'll play Risen 1 then carefully think about Risen 3 and Elex 2. Jinn, if you'd be so kind, what specifically put you off of the aforementioned?

Jinn

Arcane
Eish. Thanks Jinn and Modron. Guess I'll play Risen 1 then carefully think about Risen 3 and Elex 2. Jinn, if you'd be so kind, what specifically put you off of the aforementioned?
Risen 3 - as Modron said - is a step up from Risen 2, but that's not saying much. It's still a shadow of the former greatness of Gothic 1 and 2, and Risen 1. ELEX 2 is just a massive dissapointment coming from ELEX 1, because it seemed like PB was finally back on the right track. Pretty much every step taken with ELEX 2 was a step backwards, with some truly baffling design decisions. I'd like to chalk it up to it being developed during COVID times, but I'm not entirely sure. There's fun to be had there, but it's still fairly mediocre. Still better than Risen 2 and 3 though.

That being said, I feel that if you're able to have such a great time with Mars: War Logs and Technomancer, than our issues with the games might not faze you at all.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I’ll add: Gothic 2 TC Archololololos is quite good, if you’re a fan of the Gothic 1-2 formula. It’s high quality, especially for a mod but even for a modern AA release.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Thank you, Agris. Time to reinstall Gothic 2 then as well !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom