Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Gentleman, I just completed Greedfall, and I must say I rather enjoyed it. Would The Technomancer by Spiders plays similarly to Greedfall? E.g. same type of character progression, skill tree, c&c, etc.?
It similar to Greedfall, but the sci-fi settings is much better. It's Spiders best game also and a really good game on top of that

Modron

Arcane
It similar to Greedfall, but the sci-fi settings is much better. It's Spiders best game also and a really good game on top of that
I'd probably say it's Bound By Flame, which has better combat and probably the least amount of backtracking out of all spiders' current style of games (that Fairy game probably has less) even if the Technomancer's setting is more interesting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The amount of excessive backtracking and respawning enemies will really annoy you in Technomancer. A step-down from Mars Wars Logs in terms of pacing.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Gentleman, I just completed Greedfall, and I must say I rather enjoyed it. Would The Technomancer by Spiders plays similarly to Greedfall? E.g. same type of character progression, skill tree, c&c, etc.?
I am a bit of a sucker for Spiders. From that point of view, I'd say Technomancer is ranging from so-so to okay; Greedfall is more complex, ambitious even; the first half is great in lore, loot, story, characters, and everything else, but the second half starts to feel empty and repetitious. The best I've played from them so far was their first open-world game, Mars: Wars Logs. Packed from the beginning to the end.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Thanks, Nikanuur and Roguey! The prices of games on Steam in my current domicile are quite favourable. Going to get both Mars: Wars Logs and The Technomancer.

Modron

Arcane
I am a bit of a sucker for Spiders. From that point of view, I'd say Technomancer is ranging from so-so to okay; Greedfall is more complex, ambitious even; the first half is great in lore, loot, story, characters, and everything else, but the second half starts to feel empty and repetitious. The best I've played from them so far was their first open-world game, Mars: Wars Logs. Packed from the beginning to the end.
You really should give Bound by Flame a shot if you haven't then.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks, Nikanuur and Roguey! The prices of games on Steam in my current domicile are quite favourable. Going to get both Mars: Wars Logs and The Technomancer.
Both decent games in terms of story and worldbuilding. Backtracking is a pain in the ass, though.

I hope Spiders continue with this world though, the revelation at the end of Technomancer makes the prospect of a sequel especially interesting.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Both decent games in terms of story and worldbuilding. Backtracking is a pain in the ass, though.

I hope Spiders continue with this world though, the revelation at the end of Technomancer makes the prospect of a sequel especially interesting.

I believe they are working on Greedfall 2.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I don't know how I missed that game. I'm on it, thanks!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Weakest of the bunch for me. Didn't like the difficulty/sponginess of the combat and didn't care much for the story and characters.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I've got some first impressions. The sponginess is real—I never liked that as well—and attacks feel a bit unimpactful during the first few levels. It seems to be getting better though; e.g., at first, I was disappointed in how there is no stagger mechanic, but then I noticed it happens *sometimes*. Later on, I discovered that it's actually one of the characteristics of weapons and skills, and the chance thereof can be improved (up to 100% for some moves, it would seem).
No jumping; the environment is 'tunelled' as usual with Spiders; however, there are quite a few 'side tunnels', and I like how the game forces me to turn up the perception as the loot is not always easily spottable. Nice!
I like cell shading in general; some bonus points there as well.
The atmosphere is pretty okay, even good, I'd say.
Overall, yep, definitely my kind of ugly-beauty, semi-clumsy baby from Spiders. Love at first sight (designed to last at least 20 hours :D )

Thanks again, Modron, a good tip for me.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice

Honestly, that is what amazed me the most about Greedfall. Wasn't expecting too much from the story or worldbuilding. Happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. IMO, solid story, no current day nonsense (at least not in a “beat you over the head with it continuously” kind of manner) and kept me engaged. On a different note, woke up this morning to find that Focus currently has a sale! Bought Mars, The Technomancer and Bound by Flame. Guess it’s go time, gentlemen!

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Started with Mars: War Logs this morning. Simply put. Not disappointed in the least! Thank you again for the recommendation, gentlemen! Really enjoying it and having FUN. Which doesn't seem to be allowed in games released during the current decline of mankind. Hard to imagine that a decade ago games could just be about enjoyment and not forced propaganda. Going to take my time with these games :-D!

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Love it. Plain and simple. Nikanuur, you're right, Mars: War Logs is packed from the start. Only got to chapter 2 this morning, but I never felt bored once! For some reason playing this game makes me want to watch Midnight Express again. A game is good if it reminds you of great things :)!

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Finished Mars: The War Logs, and immediately started playing The Technomancer. Still in the tutorial area, but what I am enjoying so far is seeing a different side to Sean. My immediate impression was, “Wow, he was not a complete psychotic narcissist at some point. He cared for people etc., interesting indeed”. Just like Greedfall, and then Mars: The War Logs I am really enjoying the setting and world building so far in The Technomancer.

Side note, I had a right good laugh when Mary entered the dive bar with you to meet the resistance. The ensuing conversation has her asking about your relationship with Innocence. When she then asks, “Does that mean you sleep with him?” Roy’s response had me in tears of laughter and rejoice, “F**K NO!”.

Good on you, Spiders. Good on you Roy! I sincerely hope that Spiders, as a studio, remains steadfast in their believes and do not bend the knee like these other sniveling dog studios that just wish to please and promote something inherently devious, immoral and wrong. (I know Vasco in Greedfall can be romanced, BUT IT IS NOT FORCED ON YOU).

I vow, if they stay this course, they have converted a new fan. (Not sure about Steelrising though, not much of a Souls fan).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I vow, if they stay this course, they have converted a new fan. (Not sure about Steelrising though, not much of a Souls fan).
I liked Steelrising, but it is an action game and definitely somewhat Souls inspired (and janky af). Stay away if it's not your thing.

I think it's fair to say that the best thing about Spiders in general is their weird settings that actually try different things instead of being "generic sci fi / fantasy / whatever setting XYZ."

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
I think it's fair to say that the best thing about Spiders in general is their weird settings that actually try different things instead of being "generic sci fi / fantasy / whatever setting XYZ."
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentence. I might be in the minority saying this but I enjoy their writing too. Not a lore dump, not overly generic and entertaining! I think the other thing that benefits them might be their small budgets which forces them to have a more focussed approach to the overall game design. Instead of, say something like Starfield, which is "Let's do everything! It will be AMAZING". It is not.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentence. I might be in the minority saying this but I enjoy their writing too. Not a lore dump, not overly generic and entertaining! I think the other thing that benefits them might be their small budgets which forces them to have a more focussed approach to the overall game design. Instead of, say something like Starfield, which is "Let's do everything! It will be AMAZING". It is not.
Spiders sure took over Bioware's torch when it comes to creating narrative-driven (yet at the same time action-packed) rpgs. They also try some fresh settings which is a big plus.

Their problem in the past (Bound by Flame, Mars: War Logs) was that their budgets were inadequate for the scale of games they tried to craft, so they often fell apart around the endgame. They managed to find equilibrium around Technomancer, but then they started padding their games with lots of backtracking through their massive worlds.

Still I love their games, especially the Mars saga. They sure provide a breath of fresh air in the industry. Hopefully after Greedfall 2 they return to the Red Planet. I really want to know where they go with the setting and its mysteries.

Last edited:

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Spiders sure took over Bioware's torch when it comes to creating narrative-driven (yet at the same time action-packed) rpgs. They also try some fresh settings which is a big plus.

Their problem in the past (Bound by Flame, Technomancer) was that their budgets were inadequate for the scale of games they tried to craft, so they often fell apart around the endgame. They managed to find equilibrium around Technomancer, but then they started padding their games with lots of backtracking through their massive worlds.

Still I love their games, especially the Mars saga. They sure provide a breath of fresh air in the industry. Hopefully after Greedfall 2 they return to the Red Planet. I really want to know where they go with the setting and its mysteries.

This. 100% concur with you, Lord_Potato. IMO, I can recall one instance of backtracking, or at least the reusing of assets , I though was cleverly done. It was in Greedfall, where you had to investigate the "Ghost" training camp of the coin guard. Later, after solving that quest and the camp lay vacant, it was used by Egon and his cronies as an HQ for their little shake down business.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Their problem in the past (Bound by Flame, Technomancer) was that their budgets were inadequate for the scale of games they tried to craft, so they often fell apart around the endgame. They managed to find equilibrium around Technomancer, but then they started padding their games with lots of backtracking through their massive worlds.

This. 100% concur with you, Lord_Potato. IMO, I can recall one instance of backtracking, or at least the reusing of assets , I though was cleverly done. It was in Greedfall, where you had to investigate the "Ghost" training camp of the coin guard. Later, after solving that quest and the camp lay vacant, it was used by Egon and his cronies as an HQ for their little shake down business.
One correction, when I wrote:
Their problem in the past (Bound by Flame, Technomancer) was that their budgets were inadequate for the scale of games they tried to craft,
I meant not Technomancer, but Mars: War Logs.

Technomancer and Greedfall are the first two games they seem to have the adequate budget for.

As to the topic of backtracking it was especially irritating in Technomancer, where entire questlines forced you to revisit the same locations (and come back to the quest giver in another location, only to be sent back with another errand). In Greedfall it was somewhat mitigated.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Thank you for the heads-up, Lord_Potato. Still in the early stages of The Technomancer, but at least now I am prepared for the backtracking that awaits.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(I know Vasco in Greedfall can be romanced, BUT IT IS NOT FORCED ON YOU).
Word of warning, one of your companions in Technomancer is a fag, so don't get too friendly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom