Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I quit my job to go Full Time Indie!

zwanzig_zwoelf

Go read it yourself if you are so interested and the only thing I could learn from you would be how to haddle (quite badly I might say) the harsh reality of beign a fuckup
No going to be checking this thread anymore so don't let your fingers get in the way of your ranting, when in doubt bash your head against the keyboard...I get the feeling it will yeild more inteligent or cohertent ideas anyway
:lol:
That was pathetic.

You could just admit that you misunderstood the point, because you can't into English.

theweirdn8

Educated
One thing that I have found cool to do is use a timer to pace myself for each objective to get the game done faster.

Servo

Arcane
Hmmm, I wouldn't pay $10 for that. If it was free I might check it out, but you'd really have to convince me it was worth my time. What is special about your game? Your website doesn't actually describe it at all, just a handful of really bad screenshots. Sorry if I'm being harsh but you'll have to learn to deal with criticism as a developer, especially from this lot.

Actually, ignoring criticism from Dexters seems to work pretty well for most developers in terms of coin.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
"Fields of Fresh" is not really an "RPG Codex" kind of game, but there are a lot of people out there who like lighthearted games where you build stuff instead of destroying it.

It may succeed with its intended audience if the programmer(s) deliver on the intended features. It looks mobile-oriented. Probably should be free-to-play, powered by ads and an unintrusive microtransaction thingy. Avoiding the trap of spiking difficulty curve to get $$ is very difficult with these, but it can be done. I think.

theweirdn8

Educated
In FoF you can destroy stuff too.

Wait until the public demo is out and make your decision then...

Thanks,

Today is day 3. I shall post another update on the blog, feel free to subscribe.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Actually, ignoring criticism from Dexters seems to work pretty well for most developers in terms of coin.

Criticism from the Codex can be very harsh, but if you develop a thick skin you can gleam significant amounts of useful knowledge and wisdom from those same comments.Consider the harsh nature of the advice as the price for not having to pay :takemyjewgold:.

@ TC

My advice? Games don't sell if no one knows about them. You can have the most amazing game, but if you don't market it well enough, people won't know about it. And people can't buy it unless they know about it. From what I have studied, lack of marketing is one of the more common reasons games fail.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Good luck. There's a shit-ton of cash to be made in the gaming industry, as long as you do it right. Dont be intimidated by Codexian's palpable bitterness! You can do this. Good luck!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Personally, I would never quit a day job to go indie unless a) I disliked the job and was considering quitting anyway, b) was economically safe for a couple of years.
The reason why is not just because I think it's a high-risk endeavor, but also because I think games development as a side-hobby is very much possible and is also fun and rewarding enough in itself.

However, since you've made the leap already, I wish you the best of luck. To monetize on something as fun as games development is a great thing, if you succeed.

Without actually having played these games very much, I do like the idea of Harvest-like games. You succeeded with a Kickstarter already, so that's a good first step. I don't know if there are any -- but there should be some Harvest communities out there.

As many people have mentioned already:
RPG Codex is what many people would consider a volatile community populated with mean little asshole. This is largely due to the community's origins as a "free speech" haven for RPG fans, with very little moderation and censorship (however, many people have recently confused this with "spamming/posting dumb shit is allowed").

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Personally, I would never quit a day job to go indie unless a) I disliked the job and was considering quitting anyway, b) was economically safe for a couple of years.
The reason why is not just because I think it's a high-risk endeavor, but also because I think games development as a side-hobby is very much possible and is also fun and rewarding enough in itself.

Maybe it is possible as a side-hobby if your main job has nothing to do with computers. Otherwise you're murdering your eyes by looking at more text.

Yet even then, the main job occupies 8 most productive hours of your day that are direly needed for fresh-brained game development.

As for people who keep saying game development is "fun and rewarding enough in itself"... well, I suppose planning and building a rollercoaster is fun for some people too. But not really the conventional meaning of "fun" that is experienced by people riding the said rollercoaster.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
As for people who keep saying game development is "fun and rewarding enough in itself"... well, I suppose planning and building a rollercoaster is fun for some people too. But not really the conventional meaning of "fun" that is experienced by people riding the said rollercoaster.
It is fun to me. You are met with challenges to overcome. It's a creative project and it's fun for creative people.

Riding a rollercoaster is a thrill and can obviously not be compared.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It would be cool if it would be possible to have a half-time light physical work like cleaning and then work on some project in real life.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
When reality comes crashing down onto a fragile dream filled to the brim with someone's hopes and enthusiasm, we get perhaps our truest look at the human condition—not by observing the person whose dream was crushed directly, but by observing the words and actions (vis-à-vis the dream) of that person's peers, associates, friends, family, and other social connections leading up to, during, and subsequent to the dream-crushing experience.

I can't live other people's lives for them, and reasoning with someone "pursuing their dreams" is pure folly, so a fleeting sense of pity and the above paragraph are all I can muster.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If you want my opinion, there is nothing wrong about quitting a job for something you really want to do. Especially when you're young and can get another one later.

But you can't be serious about starting a career with something as banal as this game. Nothing but a fucking horse and a background that side scrolls. That's stuff I would not dare to show anyone even if I did it in my spare time. If you come to the Codex to showcase this kind of stuff you are either trolling (likely) or going to become a joke. That's stuff we dreamed up when we were 13 and learned to program a C64 with our dads.

Show us something more or GTFO and go to one of those indie sites, where thousands of similar games are coming out every week and 99% are not even worth a newspost.

theweirdn8

Educated
No going back to the workforce! Game has to be done. Also in terms of the game, its more than running on a horse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom