Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What does this mean? Serious question.
In Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, when you go back to your family farm (which was attacked by hobgoblins and everyone's dead - not too much of a spoiler, that's like second or third minute of the module), you are at some point assaulted by wolves. When it happened game started to seriously stutter, NWN:EE started to run really choppy, until the combat ended. That's what I meant. Nothing like this ever happened in my playthroughs of original NWN, except of course when sometimes game crashed (which happened for reasons unrealted with the game itself).

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
It's not even a released game. Make a bug report over on the Beamdog forums. I'm sure the crack dev team will get on this right away.

And don't you ever, ever!, disparage the good folks over at Beamdog again. I'll let this one slide.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How can you possibly fuck up the game from 2002 with your, ahem, enhancement, so that it stutters on a modern computer where the original does not? Answer: you need to be a dev from Beamdog. Bunch of fucking hacks.

Cael

Arcane
In Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, when you go back to your family farm (which was attacked by hobgoblins and everyone's dead - not too much of a spoiler, that's like second or third minute of the module), you are at some point assaulted by wolves. When it happened game started to seriously stutter, NWN:EE started to run really choppy, until the combat ended. That's what I meant. Nothing like this ever happened in my playthroughs of original NWN, except of course when sometimes game crashed (which happened for reasons unrealted with the game itself).
That isn't clipping. Clipping is when objects go through one another. You do have that in most CRPGs. It is pretty unavoidable as the toons don't really have defined boundaries that interact with one another.

Your second description for it is correct. It is stuttering.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Are you playing on the same pc from 2002?
A lot has changed you know, for example the tessellation method used by NWN is unsupported by modern hardware.
Also it didn't support multithreading, so if you play on some 1.5mhz mobile pseudo cpu...

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
OK, so I've downloaded Head Start version of the Digital Deluxe edition of this new, hot shit, I plugged in Wyvern Crown of Cormyr (I haven’t played it before, so why not I thought), and guess what.

It clips.

This is fucking ridiculous, game fucking clips. Original NWN never did any of that shit and the game looks the same. Sorry, not the same, it looks worse, more blurry and not as sharp as original NWN. Pathetic Beamdog cunts.

NWN:EE has worked perfectly fine for me on all my computers. You are the problem, not NWN:EE.

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK, so I've downloaded Head Start version of the Digital Deluxe edition of this new, hot shit, I plugged in Wyvern Crown of Cormyr (I haven’t played it before, so why not I thought), and guess what.

It clips.

This is fucking ridiculous, game fucking clips. Original NWN never did any of that shit and the game looks the same. Sorry, not the same, it looks worse, more blurry and not as sharp as original NWN. Pathetic Beamdog cunts.

NWN:EE has worked perfectly fine for me on all my computers. You are the problem, not NWN:EE.
No. You are the problem for giving them money.

Well I dove in, might as well help out. I rather try to get what limited voice I have to them on changes or issues. I live near them so I always could drive by screaming :P

Incantatar

Cipher
As underwhelming as these enhancements sound, I will gladly fork over some cash if the rerelease breathes some new life into the PWs and modding community.
I thought the same thing when they started with the BG:EE. What happened? SCS, TobEX, Revisions all stopped development (i.e. all relevant modding/hacking).
We traded a few engine bug fixes for horrible new content. That's it. The new community... Just take a look at the Beamdog forums.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
It's Hollywood all over. Remakes, reboots, remasters, enhanced editions. Still game industry is not as creativity-bankrupt as film industry is, but probably because of indies/smaller studios/crowdfunding, which barely exist in films. But anything AAA (or related to franchises in corporate hands like D&D) is doomed.

It doesn't bother me that every D&D game gets re-released, nor really bothers me that they are sold again at full price. Sure, why not, make old games more compatible, give them visibility to new generations. What bothers me is that they do that instead of releasing anything truly new. With the tools available nowadays, can't they really produce anything better than SCL? Developing 15-20 years ago was fucking heroic compared to doing it with todays' systems and engines. Digital art was much harder to make. Multiplayer had to rely on a terrible internet latency. Yet they assembled a team for 2 years and produced something ambitious, like NWN and its toolset. It was not perfect, certainly, but hey, they tried! They tried to create not just a game, but an "ecosystem" that would emulate the PnP experience with content creation, DM mode, etc. Will we ever see a similar effort in our lifetimes? I fear we won't.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's Hollywood all over. Remakes, reboots, remasters, enhanced editions. Still game industry is not as creativity-bankrupt as film industry is, but probably because of indies/smaller studios/crowdfunding, which barely exist in films.

Maybe if you think films are only created in the US. Or even worse, only in Hollywood. Why they don't create their own game is a good question, though. Maybe because it's easier to ride on past glory or they think they can't.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The future is bright for this game. Only a Jew would be displeased.

If that's so, I'm goddamn Benjamin Netanyahu. I don't see how anyone could be excited over the wasted potential for a quality D&D game. Hopefully Pathfinder:Kingmaker will have WoTC step up their game.

Cael

Arcane
The future is bright for this game. Only a Jew would be displeased.

If that's so, I'm goddamn Benjamin Netanyahu. I don't see how anyone could be excited over the wasted potential for a quality D&D game. Hopefully Pathfinder:Kingmaker will have WoTC step up their game.
How long has DnD 4.0 been out now? Does WotC going back to what is essentially 3.5 not tell you anything about the state of WotC's ability to produce quality?

You are in for a massive disappointment.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
How long has DnD 4.0 been out now? Does WotC going back to what is essentially 3.5 not tell you anything about the state of WotC's ability to produce quality?

Letting 4th edition continue would be almost as ridiculous for WotC as throwing their money into a black hole.

Cael

Arcane

Letting 4th edition continue would be almost as ridiculous for WotC as throwing their money into a black hole.
I know. But they created the black hole, which is an indicator of their ability to produce anything of quality. They haven't let up on the non-quality with 5th and now 6th. Why do you think that they would be better with Pathfinder or anything they come up with? I am actually surprised that Paiso let WotC anywhere near their game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops, missed this: https://www.pcgamesn.com/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition/neverwinter-nights-modules

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition reinvigorates BioWare's pioneering classic

neverwinter%20nights%20enhanced%20edition.png

Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate II, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and now Neverwinter Nights. Developer Beamdog have worked their way through the classic slate of BioWare and Black Isle RPGs in a wonky chronology, fixing, improving, and, where possible, remastering. It seems inevitable that they would wind up here, at the game first directed by company founder Trent Oster.

“It’s been on my legal to-do list for about five years,” he laughs.

Legal roadblocks surmounted, this is still a more tentative announcement than that of Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition, which released just weeks after its reveal earlier this year. For Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, Beamdog are keen to gather fan feedback early. One of their first acts on the project was to recruit an advisory board of 12 to 15 experienced modders, and ask them how their lives could be made easier.

“We’re trying to tread really cautiously in terms of the features we move forward with,” Oster tells us. “Our mandate is, ‘Don’t break anything that exists. Only add, don’t subtract, or revise’.”

This eggshells approach is down to the fact that Neverwinter Nights is not just memorable for what it was, but for what it enabled. It essentially functioned as BioWare’s make-your-own-RPG platform, being one of the progenitors of the user-generated content explosion that games like Minecraft later made commonplace.

The Neverwinter Nights of today sits upon a decade-and-a-half’s worth of player-made modules, which Beamdog must be careful not to disturb or, worse, make incompatible. Yet, for Oster, there is still so much more to do. The series was out of his hands even before he left BioWare.

“When we went back to Atari and said, ‘Hey, Neverwinter Nights 2?’, they just couldn’t come up with the budget that would allow us to do the game that we wanted to do,” he remembers.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was passed over to Obsidian instead, who infused the formula with the literariness and multi-character setup of Baldur’s Gate. “Whereas to me,” Oster says, “Baldur’s Gate was the discrete, party-based adventure, and Neverwinter was about running your D&D character.”

Whereas big-budget RPGs have become narrower and more focused around defined protagonists over time, Neverwinter Nights went as wide as possible. Yes, you were an elf, but what /kind/ of elf? If you wanted to be a fighter, did that mean you were a gladiator, a pirate, or a katana master? It granted options similar to those you had on the tabletop.

neverwinter%20nights%20enhanced%20edition%20beamdog.png

“Baldur’s Gate was very rules-based. I loved the depth of the companions but I wanted something that played faster, more like you played D&D with your friends,” Oster explains.

It is easy to forget in a post-Destiny world that RPGs once rarely did co-op - and when they did, they were half-hearted about it. Yet Neverwinter Nights was geared wholly towards that goal, throwing out the solid, reassuring interfaces of the Infinity Engine for MMO-style translucency. Its UI was less a frame through which you viewed its world and more a customisable tool to suit your needs. It wanted you to play D&D with your friends - and through its toolset, any kind of D&D you fancied.

“Multiplayer gaming was just starting to take off,” Oster says of the period. “Giving people the tools that you used internally was madness, utter and complete madness. Everybody was like, ‘Aren’t you afraid you won’t be able to sell them any more games?’.”

If there was resistance within BioWare towards this approach, Oster never noticed.

neverwinter%20nights%20enhanced%20edition%20steam.png

“I was a man on a mission with Neverwinter, I was so on fire with the idea,” he says. “There were people who questioned whether it was a smart thing to do, and I said, ‘Of course it’s a smart thing to do. It’ll be the best thing ever’.”

The toolset and multiplayer became the focus of Neverwinter Nights’ development, which meant the story campaign suffered. Its elegant planned plot was chopped up into chapters and hubs in the last three months before release.

But, radically, BioWare allowed user creators to crack open the modules from that campaign to see how the masters worked their magic. It proved the perfect teaching tool, and those who persisted flooded the Neverwinter Nights community with original single-player stories, adaptations of classic D&D modules, and persistent online worlds.

Some of these homemade MMOs were hand-moderated roleplaying realms in which you had to prove your literary worth before being allowed entry. Others were hugely popular hack-and-slash arenas. One pilfered the Planescape setting and had you wake up on a plague cart with the dead every time you respawned.

neverwinter%20nights%20making%20of.png

“It was a weird time, because the Digital Millennium Copyright Act didn’t exist, so there was a lot of fear in BioWare about potential litigation and being on the hook,” Oster recalls. “‘What if somebody makes The Bard of the Rings and we host that? We’re going to be sued into oblivion’.”

BioWare did not host Neverwinter Night’s module archive for that reason, instead partnering with IGN for the Neverwinter Vault. That compromise worked, but it prevented them from being at the centre of their own community. And, soon enough, there were so many modules that discovery became a problem - the same issue that grips Steam today. There remain great RPGs buried inside Neverwinter Nights that only the most dedicated of genre historians will ever play.

One role Beamdog hope to play with the Enhanced Edition, then, is that of curator, using their own digital distribution platform to spotlight the best campaigns and persistent worlds.

“We want to do everything we can to drive people with the right interests to the right areas of what the game can do,” Oster says.

neverwinter%20nights%20enhanced%20edition%20interview.png

Beyond that, they plan to open up the platform, make it easier for creators to share their work, polish up the look of the game with graphical features and post-processing effects and... make their own campaigns?

“We haven’t committed anything, but it’s definitely an interest area,” Oster says. “There hasn’t been a ton of crazy progress on multiplayer storytelling [in the industry], so I think there’s opportunities there - and for making a fun, little single-player campaign.

“My problem right now is that I’m like a kid in a candy store. I’ve got 100 things that I want to do.”

It is a problem only fitting for this most open of RPGs. Neverwinter Nights was the platform that helped usher in the user-generated age, and perhaps it fits in now better than ever.

Cael

Arcane
Yes, he's got 100 things he wants to do. Too bad he never gets any of it done.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still can't believe this. They're releasing a shit game with shit models and it still looks like hot garbage even after the "enhancements". I'd even take a remake of the toolset with modern-ish character models to see what sorts of adventures would get made without playing with Lego-men.

I can deal with stick figures like in early Ultimas and Phantasie, etc. but I have a really hard time with that ugly ass early 3D block figure shit.

RPK

Scholar
It's Hollywood all over. Remakes, reboots, remasters, enhanced editions. Still game industry is not as creativity-bankrupt as film industry is, but probably because of indies/smaller studios/crowdfunding, which barely exist in films. But anything AAA (or related to franchises in corporate hands like D&D) is doomed.

It doesn't bother me that every D&D game gets re-released, nor really bothers me that they are sold again at full price. Sure, why not, make old games more compatible, give them visibility to new generations. What bothers me is that they do that instead of releasing anything truly new. With the tools available nowadays, can't they really produce anything better than SCL? Developing 15-20 years ago was fucking heroic compared to doing it with todays' systems and engines. Digital art was much harder to make. Multiplayer had to rely on a terrible internet latency. Yet they assembled a team for 2 years and produced something ambitious, like NWN and its toolset. It was not perfect, certainly, but hey, they tried! They tried to create not just a game, but an "ecosystem" that would emulate the PnP experience with content creation, DM mode, etc. Will we ever see a similar effort in our lifetimes? I fear we won't.

AMEN.

that would take like, work and stuff :(

Tom Selleck

Arcane
can i do the jiggly aribeth boobs in this one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom