Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Tigranes

Arcane
lol you realize it's just like in Mad Men Season 3 when Lane fires everyone from Sterling Cooper so that they can form Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce right?

Of course they hired new staff but Interplay didn't actually make the original games, Interplay was just their distributor. Like movies, the major Hollywood studios are distributors, the movies are actually made by individual production companies. 21 Century Fox didn't make Star Wars, Lucasfilm did. Fox is just the distributor.

Interplay didn't make the game, Bioware did, every single fucking person in the Codex knows this, who are you talking to?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pay attention.

Starcraft 2 didn't get a re-release. It got updates and a price reduction (to say the least). You don't have to buy that again. If you already had the game, you could even end up getting goodies if you didn't have everything up until that point already. And it cost you nothing, and Blizzard actually made the game.

I said StarCraft, not Starcraft 2. Starcraft: Remastered.

The Definitive Edition of PoE is not a new re-release of Pillars of Eternity, it is also just an update, and people that already had the game got the new shit for free. It's a "final patch" situation and a re-branding that does nothing. And Obsidian actually made Pillars of Eternity.

My point exactly. You seem to be expecting a new game, but all they're doing is reselling their old game. Businesses have done this for a long time, Beamdog didn't invent this practice.

We even have :deadhorse:

And you seem to be misinformed. Beamdog did actually make BG: EE, BG2: EE and Planescape Torment: EE.

Oh man, not to pile on, but I was totally on board with everything you were saying—it’s just business—until that last line (yes they put out the enhanced editions, they did not make the originals). Way to make me question my judgement.

I see this risible claim a lot actually (RISIBLE). Is Beamdog actively trying to wipe Black Isle and Oster’s bosses from ancien regime Bioware out of the historical record, like when Stalin airbrushed Trotsky out of all those old pictures? Or do kids these days just not know how to use a search engine?

Cael

Arcane
I see this risible claim a lot actually (RISIBLE). Is Beamdog actively trying to wipe Black Isle and Oster’s bosses from ancien regime Bioware out of the historical record, like when Stalin airbrushed Trotsky out of all those old pictures? Or do kids these days just not know how to use a search engine?
It won't be the first time, as you have noted. Given my low opinion of Oster and his company, I don't find it to be that farfetched a thing.

As for the second question, kids these days would believe what they WANT to believe (e.g., globull warming) and discount everything else they find as fake news. Dumb as outhouse bats 99% of them, but so arrogant that they believe they know everything.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Who would be retarded enough to pay for anything Beamdog? If someone's got a hardon for a low--quality pay-for-patch, pirate that shit.

I've purchased multiple copies of every Enhanced Edition on multiple platforms and will definitely be purchasing NWN:EE the second it is released on Steam. Certainly, I'm not retarded.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Many of you miss the entire point. Whether you buy NWN: EE or NWN: Diamond, your money still ends up in the same pockets. In that sense there's no reason actual need to make NWN: EE; but there are consumers who will be interested in purchasing NWN: EE since it's new, and not NWN: Diamond since it's old. So in that sense it's very practical for Beamdog to put out EE versions of their classic games, since it helps market their back catalog.

Obviously the same people don't work at Beamdog anymore. People move on and start their own companies, like Chris Avellone for example, who is well known for writing Planescape Torment: EE. He moved on to work for Obsidian. But again why single out Beamdog for hate? Alexey Pajitnov never saw a dime from Nintendo for Tetris. Creators getting screwed out of profit for their work is an old issue that goes far far beyond Beamdog's practices.

I mention Interplay since likely Luckmann is a noob who uses wikipedia to sound informed. As precisely stated at the top of Chris Avellone's wiki page:

Chris Avellone (born September 27, 1972) is an American video game designer and comic book writer who worked for Interplay and Obsidian Entertainment.

So Luckmann likely assumed that Interplay developed Planescape Torment: EE, not Beamdog. But he's wrong. Interplay didn't produce Planescape Torment: EE. Beamdog did.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Sadly we won't get any enhancements

My write-up cited a few. It would have been cool if they called it Neverwinter Nights: Reborn, too. Since that's what is gonna happen. I wouldn't expect anyone not invested in the community to understand what that means, though.
At long last Neverwinter Nights is getting the overhaul it greatly deserves and needs — Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, by Beamdog! As a long-time commentator and fan of the Aurora platform, I'm quite delighted by this announcement.
You're not supposed to reveal that you're retarded until midway through the text. By tipping your hand, you prompt more discerning readers to immediately disregard the rest of the article on the account of you being flagrantly retarded.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Many of you miss the entire point. Whether you buy NWN: EE or NWN: Diamond, your money still ends up in the same pockets. In that sense there's no reason actual need to make NWN: EE; but there are consumers who will be interested in purchasing NWN: EE since it's new, and not NWN: Diamond since it's old. So in that sense it's very practical for Beamdog to put out EE versions of their classic games, since it helps market their back catalog.

Obviously the same people don't work at Beamdog anymore. People move on and start their own companies, like Chris Avellone for example, who is well known for writing Planescape Torment: EE. He moved on to work for Obsidian. But again why single out Beamdog for hate? Alexey Pajitnov never saw a dime from Nintendo for Tetris. Creators getting screwed out of profit for their work is an old issue that goes far far beyond Beamdog's practices.

I mention Interplay since likely Luckmann is a noob who uses wikipedia to sound informed. As precisely stated at the top of Chris Avellone's wiki page:

Chris Avellone (born September 27, 1972) is an American video game designer and comic book writer who worked for Interplay and Obsidian Entertainment.

So Luckmann likely assumed that Interplay developed Planescape Torment: EE, not Beamdog. But he's wrong. Interplay didn't produce Planescape Torment: EE. Beamdog did.

Is this guy joking? Is he the Marcel Duchamp of shitposting?? I can't tell if this is brilliant performance art or the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Turjan

Arcane
Because the "enhanced edition" costs 20+ dollars and is the exact same game as the Diamond Edition which has been on sale at GoG for years.
NWN Diamond Edition was even given away for free by GOG a year ago. However, that is usually a clear sign that sales have dried up.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
NWN Diamond Edition was even given away for free by GOG a year ago.

While a kind gesture, the giveaway was for a limited time and didn't boost community numbers. The EE will result in a rebirth. Beamdog forums have taken off pretty quickly, with lots of posts by new players and veterans from neverwintervault.org. The announcement even got the creator of the Aielund Saga back onboard.

Neanderthal

Arcane
In related news i'm selling an Enhanced Edition of some old rope.

Features enhanced include:
  • Zoom feature, move it closer or further away from your mush.
  • Improved texture and colour resolution, I scraped all shit off and washed it.
  • Greater accessibility, I coiled it up and put a pipe cleaner round it.
  • Better useability, I put it in a plaggy big.
  • Authentic distressed look consistent with the old rope aesthetic, its frayed and unsafe.
  • Can be dyed to match any colour palette, just buy the accompanying dlc at $9.99.

Yours for only $49.99 / fifty foot length.

We shall see if the community finally snaps back to life enough or it is a month of a few big profile projects getting going then dying off.
I honestly do not see this as the holy grail for NWN, however, it would be nice to see even more improvements down the line for this engine.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
We shall see if the community finally snaps back to life enough or it is a month of a few big profile projects getting going then dying off.

Big projects have been going on, pre-announcement. A few have been announced in this initial phase, too. And that's only what we know about. Plus, lots of potential custom content creators probably haven't even heard the news. Once things pick up speed, I'm expecting several more big-project announcements from veterans and new players, and I don't think that's unreasonable.

I honestly do not see this as the holy grail for NWN, however, it would be nice to see even more improvements down the line for this engine.

Community probably won't relive glorious heyday but there is cause for optimism.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
OK, so I've downloaded Head Start version of the Digital Deluxe edition of this new, hot shit, I plugged in Wyvern Crown of Cormyr (I haven’t played it before, so why not I thought), and guess what.

It clips.

This is fucking ridiculous, game fucking clips. Original NWN never did any of that shit and the game looks the same. Sorry, not the same, it looks worse, more blurry and not as sharp as original NWN. Pathetic Beamdog cunts.

Cael

Arcane
Bwahahahahahahaha!

Wait... did you pay money for the thing???

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

OK, so I've downloaded Head Start version of the Digital Deluxe edition of this new, hot shit, I plugged in Wyvern Crown of Cormyr (I haven’t played it before, so why not I thought), and guess what.

It clips.

This is fucking ridiculous, game fucking clips. Original NWN never did any of that shit and the game looks the same. Sorry, not the same, it looks worse, more blurry and not as sharp as original NWN. Pathetic Beamdog cunts.

So they not even managed to make a patch and call it enhanced but they suceeded even to make the game look... worse?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So they not even managed to make a patch and call it enhanced but they suceeded even to make the game look... worse?
I guess it can actually be up to personal preferences - I honestly think that game looks a lot blurrier, and, because of that, much worse. Depth of field effect, which blurs more distant things even worse, does not help either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom