Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ahh OK thanks. For some reason I was thinking she was a Druid.

4too

Arcane
Memes To The Rescue

Sensuki quotes Josh said:
Carnage doesn't use special animations, just the standard attacks. It would be too expensive to animate special Carnage variants for all weapon types. …

Seek the fonts of carnage in traditional graphic memes!
thor135g.jpg

May be too wordy for the swinging Dicks mashing the A button, so …

a beat-em-up console victor's screen … plus a post modern web meme ...
sofia.jpg

images

stamped over the standard slice and dice may cover up the lack of gibs!

4too

Ninjerk

Arcane
I didn't want to jump to any conclusions, but I didn't think that portrait was Polina's.

coffeetable

Savant
It will be very difficult to make an offensive fighter with those abilities. I don't like.
rogue's taken that niche i think. before you whine, keep in mind that PE rogues haven't got much to do with stealth. they're all about high damage and crippling effects

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Shields slow down recovery time

All shields increase Deflection and slow down Recovery Time. Small shields have no Accuracy penalty. Medium and heavy shields have proportionally higher Deflection bonuses and Accuracy penalties.

Bit of a trade off there. Makes sense though.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
J.E. Sawyer said:
Anyone can dual-wield. Here are the relative trade-offs of fighting in any given "style":

* Dual Weapon - Fastest attack rate and highest overall damage output vs. relatively light armor.

* Two-Handed - Standard attack rate. Highest per-hit damage output vs. relatively heavy armor.

* Weapon & Shield - Standard attack rate. Highest Deflection of any style. Heavier shields grant more Deflection, reduce Accuracy proportionally.

* Single Weapon - Standard attack rate, all attacks made with +15 Accuracy.

Fighters will almost always outlive barbarians in any one-on-one situation. Barbarians are supposed to be better at dealing damage to groups. The reason they have the better conversion rate for Stamina:Health is because they generally wind up taking a lot more damage than fighters. Fighters also have other abilities I've mentioned before, like Armored Grace, which gives them increased DT from armor. I don't think I've mentioned Into the Fray, but that ability allows them to attack Reflexes to yank someone into melee from a (short but worthwhile) distance away. Keep in mind that Carnage only applies when the barbarian's melee attack actually hits. Because they have lower Accuracy, they're less likely to land that initial hit. Staying in the fight and reliably dealing damage are the two things that fighters are best at. They're much better at both than the barbarian is.

We used the portrait for Calisca in our demo, but it's a standard PC human female portrait.

Six categories of Weapon Mastery

Yes, there are currently six categories. The D&D standard is that characters are equally skilled with all weapons in which they have proficiency, so I don't think it's that odd to have thematically-grouped weapon specializations. Mechanically, the thematic groupings allow characters to gain bonuses with a set of one-handed and two-handed melee weapons as well as with ranged weapons It gives the player more circumstantial flexibility.

Carnage is a passive ability, so it "goes off" every time a melee attack hits. Targets who are hit by Carnage will play hit VFX and Interrupts (when appropriate). Active-use weapon-based attacks (e.g. the fighter's Knockdown, rogue's Finishing Blow, etc.) will have a "gleam" that plays on the weapon(s) after it is targeted.

Sensuki

Arcane
Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak probably increases Resolve:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118222370&postcount=9487

I asked them to make it boost charisma (or whatever equivalent stat the game has) by tons, but also requested that it have a small, non-harming humorous effect to it of their choosing. The dev replied that he could easily work with that, so I'm excited to see what they come up with!

Answermancer

Educated
Oh god, I had not thought of that

:rage::whatho: :what:+

Pallegina rustles her feathers and looks at you comely with her golden eyes.

Do you:

Produce a riding crop from your pack

Use the Cape of Many Feathers to produce a lovely eagle like wing spread

Admit that you'd like to examine her body more closely in pursuit of ornithology

I can only hope someone would put it to such majestic use.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If all goes well, only three more updates till the video then the beta then the next Kickstarter. :bounce:

Josh's design remains brilliant. Surprisingly low amount of grogs at the Obs forums.

people talkin bout D&D next said:
guess what, though. 5e fighters can, after an hour's rest, take a "second wind" to regain 1d10+level hit points, which is the worst thing ever, and must be removed immediately
i'm speaking for the community here. when fighters did damage on a miss, there was so much ire that ENWorld literally had to open a separate "damage on a miss" forum to host all the damage on a miss threads

well, damage on a miss was removed. oops, though, it turns out fighters have (slowly; a "short rest" is an hour, not five minutes) rechargeable hp regain, so guess what game Isn't D&D
the war against damage on a miss has been won. the new battle is about why it's BAD for fighters to have rest powers, but GOOD for wizards to have them.

PoE is better off with these people getting mad at D&D on D&D forums and not his game. Too bad about the occasional leakage here. :)

Sensuki

Arcane
Weapons "roll" damage between their min and max before applying other modifiers. The upper end of the damage ranges is higher than it is in A/D&D but not by a huge factor. The lower end of the ranges is much higher, typically a little over half of the max. E.g. pollaxes do 18-28. A fighter with Confident Aim would do 20.5-28 damage with the same weapon (we do track fractions). A fighter with Confident Aim who is specialized in that weapon would do 20.5-28 base +15% (23.6-32.2).

Hobbled reduces the target's Dexterity, movement speed, and Reflexes defense. Many attacks that inflict Hobbled will attack the Fortitude defense as a secondary attack. The fighter's Crippling Guard automatically inflicts Hobbled if the Disengagement Attack (vs. Deflection) hits. Disengagement Attacks are inherently more accurate than standard attacks and fighters have the highest melee Accuracy, so they tend to land those hits very regularly. If they Graze and have Confident Aim, 20% of those Grazes are converted to full Hits.

Bit o lore on the chargen

You can play any class as male or female. Our character creation screens briefly describe the different roles men and women play in various societies of Eora, but they do not inherently differ in stats or capability.

Combat log

Yes, the fighter's skill bonuses are all minor. Abilities like the fighter's Critical Defense are applied passively to each incoming attack. In the combat log, it doesn't display anything special unless a conversion occurred. If Sassy attacks Squorzel and Squorzel has Critical Defense but the conversion roll didn't succeed, it would just display this way: Sassy Crits Squorzel for 48 Slash damage. If the conversion does succeed, it displays something like this: Sassy Crits Squorzel... but Critical Defense converts it to a Hit for 32 Slash damage!

That's not the exact text or format, but it's something like that.

Yeah, the way we display the non-verbose final roll is always relative to the standard ranges: Miss on <=5, Graze on 6-50, Hit on 51-95, Crit on >=96. Defense is subtracted from Accuracy and then applied as a modifier to the roll itself. E.g. the attacker has 52 Accuracy and the defender has 30 Defense. The difference is 22. Three attacks happen in sequence. The actual rolls are 65, 43, and 84. Those are modified to 85 (Hit), 65 (Hit), and 106 (Crit). There are two exceptions to this: a natural roll of <=5 can never be better than a Graze and a natural roll of >=96 can never be worse than a Hit, no matter how much the table gets skewed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wait, "weapon mastery"? Does that mean that we will have idiotic specialization Sensuki? I thought Sawyer recognized the flaws of a specializing system (i.e. always choosing one specific weapon type to wield regardless of that weapon's capabilities). There are no benefits to weapon mastery systems - they simply remove tactical decision-making between loot drops of different weapon types (or switching in combat for that matter).

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Weapons "roll" damage between their min and max before applying other modifiers.
I take it that means that the weapons' damage range is uniformly distributed. I guess I don't blame them for departing from D&D's dice rolls.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wait, "weapon mastery"? Does that mean that we will have idiotic specialization Sensuki? I thought Sawyer recognized the flaws of a specializing system (i.e. always choosing one specific weapon type to wield regardless of that weapon's capabilities). There are no benefits to weapon mastery systems - they simply remove tactical decision-making between loot drops of different weapon types (or switching in combat for that matter).
From what ive read there will be a general weapon group specialization and a style specialization.

Sensuki

Arcane
I take it that means that the weapons' damage range is uniformly distributed. I guess I don't blame them for departing from D&D's dice rolls.

Yes. He gave the current range of a Pollaxe - 18-28

The Specialization Groups cover a broad range of weapons, grouped thematically (like in New Vegas). There are six groups (we know of five currently):

Knight - battle axes, swords, morning stars, crossbows, and war bows.
Solider - great swords, pikes, war hammers, arbalests, and arquebuses.
Peasant - hatchets, spears, quarterstaves, hunting bows, and blunderbusses.
Ruffian
Noble
?

Weapon Specialization gives bonus damage.

btw Specialization has been a thing(tm) since 2012.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes. He gave the current range of a Pollaxe - 18-28

The Specialization Groups cover a broad range of weapons, grouped thematically (like in New Vegas). There are six groups (we know of five currently):

Knight - battle axes, swords, morning stars, crossbows, and war bows.
Solider - great swords, pikes, war hammers, arbalests, and arquebuses.
Peasant - hatchets, spears, quarterstaves, hunting bows, and blunderbusses.
Ruffian
Noble
?

Weapon Specialization gives bonus damage.

btw Specialization has been a thing(tm) since 2012.

uuuuuurgh, weapon groupings: the correct recognization of a flaw and the belief that reducing it in scale will make it disappear

still, better than unique specialization i suppose

what's the point of tacticul weapon switching in combat if that decision is made moot by specialization? and, on the flip side, what's the point of specialization if weapon switching is required by armor type etc.?

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
uuuuuurgh, weapon groupings: the correct recognization of a flaw and the belief that reducing it in scale will make it disappear

what's the point of tacticul weapon switching in combat if that decision is made moot by specialization? and, on the flip side, what's the point of specialization if weapon switching is required by armor type etc.?

Well each weapon group contains at least one weapon of every damage type (piercing, slashing, crushing, ranged). So the main reason for switching weapons is accounted for within each group.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well each weapon group contains at least one weapon of every damage type (piercing, slashing, crushing, ranged). So the main reason for switching weapons is accounted for within each group.

I would assume that each weapon specialization class (Knight, Soldier, Peasant, etc), despite each having a diverse selection of weapons in it, has overall advantages and disadvantages compare to the others. For example Knight weapons might be more damaging overall but with worse speed or whatever.

So it's not just for flavor, there is a strategic choice involved as well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The flaw is made even minor, then. Good to know, thanks peeps.

I would assume that each weapon specialization class (Knight, Soldier, Peasant, etc), despite each having a diverse selection of weapons in it, has overall advantages and disadvantages compare to the others. For example Knight weapons might be more damaging overall but with worse speed or whatever.

And then we have a strategic choice in specialization as well. My list of complaints is all but eradicated it seems :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom