Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC vs. Consoles

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I own both and i love playing games on both. They should not be mutually exclusive, every PC gamer should experience the joy of relaxing in the couch and playing a console game on the TV... for me that's a zen like stress reliever, "come home, turn on console and play a bit before making dinner".
Sounds like you need to get a better seat. Anyway, I find it fascinating that there are people who find gaming relaxing. To me a better description would be disturbing or distressing.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm sure it is relaxing to play modern console games, since the vast majority of them require little in the way of thought, attention span, or dexterity. But taking a nap is so much more relaxing. With a game, I want to be engaged.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
141330.jpeg

Is there anything else to say ?

potatojohn

Arcane
But you need a PC to download and burn them on dvds, at which point you might as well spend $100 for a graphics card and skip the konsole.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Firstworldia

A console 300-500 bucks
HDTV to plug it into - AT LEAST 1000 bucks
Game price: 60 and up, no free additional content

Overkill specs PC with a monitor - ~1200 bucks
Average game price: TPB and up, shitton of a free content
You can play pirated games on consoles too.
Yeah, a HDTV was 1000 bucks....10 years ago. You can get a good onew for 400 dollars.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you can afford both then wheres the problem?
Fifa, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, NBA and all other games where you play on the same couch is why you buy consoles for.

I got a friend that owns like 30 X360 games and about 28 of em are shooters. And he think hes pro when he derps with that gamepad.
And you cant explain to him that playing shooters on a PC is a superior experience.

Now, with alot of console games making their way to PC it makes consoles kinda boring. I own a Xbrick 360 and I barely turn it on these days. Kids use it sometimes to derp with Kinect games but otherwise noone even looks at it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
But by the same token, you can get a "killer" PC for little more than 600 bucks, all games being dumped down to run on console hardware in the first place.

Machocruz

Arcane
Consoles are for getting my weaboo on with Devil May Cry type games, fighters and the occasional action-RPG. That's why I pray that Japan gets on board with PC in a big way, then I never have to look at another non-Nintendo console (and if Retro developed for PC, not even that) again. Stasis, Guilty Gear, and Dragon's Dogma 2 on the same box? Yes please.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fifa, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, NBA and all other games where you play on the same couch is why you buy consoles for.
Of those games, only Tekken is not on PC.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
But you need a PC to download and burn them on dvds, at which point you might as well spend $100 for a graphics card and skip the konsole.
I don't know how it is in your country but in my country you can find pirated games on shops. It's not entirely legal but police doesn't do anything about it so some people go those places to buy games for pc/consoles.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You put the disc in and that's it. No StarScream shit or anything like that.
Consoles haven't worked like this for 7 years. Online access codes, core parts of the games sold as DLC, endless updates, etc.
One of the biggest derps I remember was Capcom releasing Street fighter x Tekken and locked 10 chars or so on a disc and wanted 10 bucks extra to unlock them.
Didnt Valve had a derp with Orange Box or some other console release doing similar thing? Cant remember.

Of those games, only Tekken is not on PC.

I usually keep my PC for myself. My baby. :love:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I keep a PC in my living room hooked up to my TV. Steam big picture + PS3/Xbox 360 controllers is way better than any console.

Leonidus

Novice
Shouldn't the most important point be that in consoles, you get a controller, but with a PC you get real control.

Consoles purposefully bar you from doing almost everything to anything. Anyone who bought Morrowind for xbox had an experience 1000 times worse than anyone who played it on PC, because there were endless bugs you couldn't fix and a whole game you could not touch. Same goes for tons of games, many significantly better than Morrowind, where the PC experience is literally incomparably better by orders of magnitude because of what you can do. And all of that is just chopped off and bricked over in the console world.

And to think, people pay for the privilege to be denied access to everything about something they supposedly own.

I say they deserve it at that point.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Interesting, a pc vs console thread. Honestly don't see why there needs to be an argument over which is better as they both play games and it is up to individual preference. If you subscribe to lower standards then I can see why you would pick up a console and defend it aggressively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom