Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are ~*feels*~ and there is actual usability.
If it wasn't clear that post was meant as [dismissive/sarcastic - minor]

So... is it totally impossible to solo PoE? More tedious than BG? Less? Impossible?
I think it is going to be very difficult. There is far less cheese and you can only gain XP 25% faster, instead of 6x faster.

I expect someone to figure out how to do it though.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
rope kid said:
True, but it's easier for a human player to kite and respond to kiting than it is for AI to do it/recognize what's happening and adapt. In any case, we'll be looking at recovery more in the near future.

Cadmus

Arcane
rope kid said:
True, but it's easier for a human player to kite and respond to kiting than it is for AI to do it/recognize what's happening and adapt. In any case, we'll be looking at recovery more in the near future.
So they want for kitting to be less advantageous, right..
so the things that are supposed to give you an advantage must be destroyed so that everything is balanced
so why the fuck even bother

man this thread keeps delivering some questionable design decisions from the amazing Mr. Sawyer. I bet that if he designed the chess, both sides would start out with a black colour.
I don't know, I'm sure the game will be fine but this obsessive micro design and balancing of everything sounds really fucking boring.

mastroego

Arcane
man this thread keeps delivering some questionable design decisions from the amazing Mr. Sawyer. I bet that if he designed the chess, both sides would start out with a black colour.
I don't know, I'm sure the game will be fine but this obsessive micro design and balancing of everything sounds really fucking boring.

But... white moves first so... no side could start so... perfect balance FOREVER!
Brilliant!

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Some of the stuff reminds me a bit of the whole DM thing where they go

"You see a door"
"Cool, I go this way"
"You really feel like opening the door"
"Nah, I don't think so"
"three other walls magically appear around you, and you can't go anywhere but through the door"
"Riiight okay then, I guess I'll open the door"

except mechanically.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Some of the stuff reminds me a bit of the whole DM thing where they go

"You see a door"
"Cool, I go this way"
"You really feel like opening the door"
"Nah, I don't think so"
"three other walls magically appear around you, and you can't go anywhere but through the door"
"Riiight okay then, I guess I'll open the door"

except mechanically.

Dude, what DMs do you have :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I had a DM like that for a while... the guy could live as Call of Duty level designer, his campaign were borderline "you're leaving the adventure area, return in 10 seconds or a lightning bolt will kill you".

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
So they want for kitting to be less advantageous, right..
so the things that are supposed to give you an advantage must be destroyed so that everything is balanced
so why the fuck even bother

Been my main issue since I started actually beta testing, beyond bugs and whatnot: the core design decisions for PoE seem to be based around mainly trying to artificially limit the player to prevent any of that damned "degenerative" shit. I really don't get it, it's like developing something only thinking of "blocking" players, instead of designing something to "allow" players.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I had a DM like that for a while... the guy could live as Call of Duty level designer, his campaign were borderline "you're leaving the adventure area, return in 10 seconds or a lightning bolt will kill you".

There's nothing wrong with linear games, but there's something wrong with a GM that tells you it's a not a linear campaign and then summons walls magically around you.

I remember stuff like that. It stopped happening when we turned 18+ and started talking about what we expected of each other before we started playing, lol.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The thing to talk about should be Vision. We all do it. And, if you do, go all the way. Look at Planescape: Torment for a great example.

The worst thing you can do is compromise. Like, if you think a motorcycle is better than a car, don't compromise on a tricycle. It's the worst of both.

But, what is it about Vision that requires all this talk? It's because people who have it cannot just make things according to plan. They'll hint that they have a better idea, and negotiate. Compromise. We call those people politicians.

Half of that is because people who can make the decisions are there because they have a great Ego, and not because they actually know how things work. But that doesn't matter, because they have Vision.

In contrast, you have the Man with the Plan. He wants to make what people want. Because he knows what's important: being able to Sell it.

Coming up with Great ideas is easy, coming up with a great Plan the customers want is hard.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I don't get why simulationists suddenly have this hard-on for AD&D. From a simulationist perspective, it is one of the absolute worst systems ever created. I actually played it back then. I remember the simulation-fag revolution, when abstractions had to be improved and we could no longer suffer the impossibly gamistic AD&D.
Well, a fantasy setting allows magic, and so you can heal back up from having your limbs chopped off to full battle-readiness in mere seconds.

That's where historical settings break down.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sensuke deserves an Eternety Maistro tag. :salute: Keep up improving the game, if Josh is not gonna do it.

Who was the guy that did all of the Roguey ones?
Zed made these two
ar4hpJJ.png
PGPm2b9.png

I made this one
6zWp4j3.png

Don't know who made this though.
sawyer_disciple.png

Cnaiur

Augur
I read every single page of this thread. The nature of most posts make me feel like I deserve some kind of reward for tainting my virgin eyes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I read every single page of this thread. The nature of most posts make me feel like I deserve some kind of reward for tainting my virgin eyes.

I'd feel sorry for it, but I kindda think you deserve for reading every post of this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom