Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs: music or not

Photokoi

Learned
See the example in my other post, most of those tracks are extremely unmemorable. I can maybe recognize them while listening (and even then it's vague, I could swear that "Eye of the Storm" is a track from Oblivion) , but not recall them from memory. I don't have such problems with other soundtracks.
So, for example, if you take a person who played Skyrim or Oblvion or whatever, play him those 4 songs and ask which ones are from Skyrim he probably won't be able to tell, or he'll say all

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that Soule is a talentless hack.
:notsureifserious:
You know, I have to disagree. I think Morrowind (for example) has very different music from Oblivion and Skyrim, and I PERSONALLY can tell the difference from the three. Now, on the other hand, his music is very similar. But I personally think he does a great job with the music. I must say, for example, that I can't remember the music from diablo 2 very well or ALL the music from BG but I can from Morrowind.

But oh well, I love the elderscrolls.

Oblivion has the worst music of the three. Still good, but Morrowind blows it out of the water, and Skyrim (copies morrowind) gets back to the good old days which I loved.

BigWeather

Augur
I LOVED the music for Ultima III and IV on the C-64. Then Ultima V came out but the music was only for the C-128. I was so bummed that I didn't finish that game until years later, having no sound just killed it for me.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For me it depends on the game.

In games playing a single character in a first person perspective and real time blobbers, I always turn the music off, as I find it distracts from the immersion, especially if the game actually uses ambient sounds and sound to detect enemies. Few things are more retarded when the music changes from "exploring" to "dramatic!" and spoils a monsters' ambush.

For strategy games or games where I control a party of characters (except real time blobbers) I usually leave the music on, unless it becomes too annoying or even unpleasant (the ending of the necropolis theme in HoMM 2 is a prime example of unpleasant to my sensitive ears).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom