Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs: music or not

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is magnificent, unfortunately I've heard bad things about the game. Is it worth a playtrough? This track got me interested in trying it out, but many awful games have good soundtracks so I better hear you out before I invest any time and potentially money on it.

I would say it's average. If you're used to RPGs from 20 years ago it's worth a try, but it'll never get amazing or awesome. As Luzur said it's most fun when you're starting out and exploring the land. The first game has a mouse-only interface, but the sequel(s) improve on that.

The Eschalon main theme is also a good piece of music, and it gets revisited in Book 2.

Photokoi

Learned
Very stupid, amateurish question, but how do I brofist??

Sorry for this comment unworthy of the venerable codex!

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Very stupid, amateurish question, but how do I brofist??

Sorry for this comment unworthy of the venerable codex!
You have to wait a year until you will be able to brofist. Alternatively, you can donate money to the Codex, but I'm don't know the required amount.

Also, don't make frivolous topics in the Site Feedback forum.
There be dragons

Ninjerk

Arcane
Make sure you get DarkUnderlord's attention using the "@" sign.

T. Reich

Arcane
For me, it completely depends on 3 factors:
1. Do I even like the in-game music? If I do, I might keep it on.
2. Is it context-sensitive? As in - if combat happens, does the music change? In some cases it can be an important gameplay feature (Deus Ex, for example), if so - I will be inclined to keep the music on.
3. However, I might fancy listening to something else entirely altogether; in this case I can totally ignore the above two considertations.

And then there are games without music, so I can do whatever I want. Like playing Dark Sun while listening to Deus Ex soundtrack, which I've done way too many times.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Also make sure you repeat this post when you do it:

Of course Oblivion has incredible music. It's an incredible game and dont anyone says it sucks. Sure, its very generic and babyish and dumbeddown, but wasnt ultima vii also like that in the day? Very detailed but generic and easy? When it comes to gameworlds, TES is an absolute monster. Awesome worlds, unique. I hate when people say Oblivion sucks , morrwind had better setting. Oblivion was based in Cyrodil. The center of Tamerial, inhabited by humans. Cant get more generic than that. But its generic done well.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Of course Oblivion has incredible music. It's an incredible game and dont anyone says it sucks. Sure, its very generic and babyish and dumbeddown, but wasnt ultima vii also like that in the day? Very detailed but generic and easy? When it comes to gameworlds, TES is an absolute monster. Awesome worlds, unique. I hate when people say Oblivion sucks , morrwind had better setting. Oblivion was based in Cyrodil. The center of Tamerial, inhabited by humans. Cant get more generic than that. But its generic done well.
:hearnoevil:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

Attention all newfags: When you go into the thread of a recently released game and ask "SO HEY GUIZ IS THIS GOOD?", you are just begging to be misled by shitposters. You have been warned.
Ahem.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get it. Was somebody asking about a recently released game

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I don't get it. Was somebody asking about a recently released game
No, but I didn't want to put words in your mouth and edit the post. It was more the spirit of the post: keeping codexers in rein from trolling the newfag
even if he deserves it.

Photokoi

Learned
I like these "fag" terms which I see tossed around here. And oblivion was not the best RPG I'll admit, but its a game I've enjoyed and invested many hours in. Never made any judgment.

And don't worry youwont scare me away

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

He's got a point, Ultima VII was pretty much a proto-Oblivion. And it's Todd Howard's favorite game. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ultima VII was absolutely not generic and babyish, especially not for the time it was released. Taking a fantasy world and inflicting all kinds of modern social ills on it wasn't something you saw back then.

Today it would be considered a bit on the nose, but it was always well-written and earnest.

Photokoi

Learned
Ultima VII was absolutely not generic and babyish, especially not for the time it was released. Taking a fantasy world and inflicting all kinds of modern social ills on it wasn't something you saw back then.

Today it would be considered a bit on the nose, but it was done earnestly.

Sorry for that, what I meant to say is that compared to "big boy" rpgs like Wizardry and other traditional dungeon crawlers, Ultima was much more sandbox and fun. Don't get me wrong, Ultima VII is tons better than Oblivion, its really incredible, but its simple when it comes to traditional elements of an rpg, like combat and character creation, as well as party mechanics.

Its an incredible open world, way more interactive than oblivion of course, (or skyrim) but lacking in the traditional (I hate the word) aspects of an rpg.

Just to get sort of back on topic, great song from Ultima VII and all the Ultimas
RULE BRITANNIA!!!

Gerrard

Arcane
Back in the day I used to load up some Amiga games just to listen to the music. Also, in The Settlers due to limitations in memory and sound channels you could only have music OR sound effects playing, and in this case the sound effects were much more immersive (not to say the music was bad, because it was great). This is a peculiar case though, who knows maybe having both would be even better.

If i could i'd have turned the music on Valkyrie Profile off.
Gay.

As someone's said, Oblivion had wonderful music (not so much Skyrim) and Morrowind of course, too.).
But it's all the same shit. You can also add Guild Wars and Neverwinter Nights to the mix (and probably some other crap Soule did) and you would not be able to tell where the song playing is from unless you already know it. Aside from things like main themes I can't actually recall any of the melodies of those soundtracks.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

:desu:

GW had some really good fucking music, though. Even a tad above most of Soule's other work.

Gerrard

Arcane
Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
As someone's said, Oblivion had wonderful music (not so much Skyrim) and Morrowind of course, too.).
But it's all the same shit. You can also add Guild Wars and Neverwinter Nights to the mix (and probably some other crap Soule did) and you would not be able to tell where the song playing is from unless you already know it.
How would you be able to tell where a song is from without already knowing it?
:hmmm:

Gerrard

Arcane
See the example in my other post, most of those tracks are extremely unmemorable. I can maybe recognize them while listening (and even then it's vague, I could swear that "Eye of the Storm" is a track from Oblivion) , but not recall them from memory. I don't have such problems with other soundtracks.
So, for example, if you take a person who played Skyrim or Oblvion or whatever, play him those 4 songs and ask which ones are from Skyrim he probably won't be able to tell, or he'll say all

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that Soule is a talentless hack.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
See the example in my other post, most of those tracks are extremely unmemorable. I can maybe recognize them while listening (and even then it's vague, I could swear that "Eye of the Storm" is a track from Oblivion) , but not recall them from memory.
I understood your point; just making a little humorous jab. I'm not a big fan of Hollywood orchestral soundtracks and prefer medieval/renaissance instrumentation for medieval/fantasy video games.

Btw, you might want to edit out the last sentence from your post before the angry mob sees it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom