Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, playing STALKER for the first time, mods

tred

Augur
btw as the poster above said, do not install any of the Complete mods. they are completely retarded.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If by "playing with Misery" you mean Misery 1.2 - then I agree. Avoid Misery 2.1.1. because it's not for everyone and - most important - it's not realistic at all despite what people (and mod creators) state.
I don't want to play vanilla if I can improve my experience
I get it, then Misery 1.2 is for you.
Mod base
There you can download it and nowhere else beyond MEGA and similar, because Misery creators want you to play Mis2 and new incoming version, and avoid being exposed to only good version of the mod.

With mods it gets even better and less buggy
Lies. Mods can (and will) add new bugs. It's unavoidable.
Even when they come with ZRP. You add new stuff, change something = increased chance that bug will be created.

Sigerious Mod is not for 1st playthrough. It add too much stuff and to notice (and appreciate/hate it) you need experience vanilla first.

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK since I will only be playing this once and I will be using a more complex mod like Sigerious or Misery in addition to those that improve graphics which one would be better overall and why.
I have already studied sgm all in one a bit and seen people say it is best one while I seen many people say Misery is not that good while others say it is good. What makes Misery good?
What makes it better than Sigerious?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There are different version of these mods.

Misery1.2 is good - no bullet sponges, less cash.
Misery 2.1.1 add fuckton of items and you need to study all these items, then think&test them all to find out which are useful or not.
And it failed with giving "realism experience" by introducing enormous amount of bullshit. Like - get Hunger icon on your HUD? Forget about running. Even when your satiety is 98/100.
They do lot of changes in guns and ammo, which bring old problem of bullet sponges. Nothx. You wear armors and plates and don't get that much.
Misery 2.1.1 is about managements then.
You need to be good - good to avoid getting hurt, starved, radiated or surprised. You need to already finish vanilla.
Oh and repairing if screwed completely. Numerous toolboxes, glues, rags... when you start counting the prices for parts and else - all you can say is "utter bullshit".
There is unfair part but you better forget about Misery 2.1.1. and I don't have time to study and report you all fault of this garbage.

Sigerious add lot of stuff - missions, fractions, guns. Depend on the version of the mod you can get various things.

Important - SGM 2.1 start normally, finish the game and enjoy new/old maps like Dark Valley and other.
SGM 2.2 start in the Cordon (if you played lot of times - it's bad news if you can't stand this place anymore), then you go to Swamps. On Cordon you need to clean out the whole map from bandits.
Oh and good luck playing it when Technician don't repair anything below 80% condition (and if he do - he get a lot of money for it) and traders not buying anything.
Then you go to the Swamps, clear it until you find main bandit base surrounded by mines. Getting detector force you to run back and forth. Bet you edited game configs files to run faster or suffer.

If you really want to play SGM - take "SGM 2.2 Lost Souls" with "Zaton patch."
Or SGM 2.1+Misery 1.2 called Cataclysm.

ArchAngel

Arcane
SGM 2.2 Lost Souls seems to have problems from fast google search, also people say it is much easier to die and you quickload a lot. And is there a good english translation?
I didn't find a All-In-One packet like on my link. I don't feel like researching and testing mods for couple of days before I start playing.

Anyone play STALKER Redux (now called Wormwood)?

Also, I tried playing with Misery 2, but the mob placement didn't make any sense (i.e. I could tell they were "modded in").

This diminished the realism and immersion compared to the vanilla game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems Wormwood is still in development but from what I read it will be awesome.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got another question. I read comments that base FOV in Stalker is not good and that mouse feels a bit floaty. Is that true? Can you change FOV to 90 if it is not that already?
Floaty mouse is usually caused by mouse acceleration, can that be turned off?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I don't remember much from Redux. Wormwood is Redux 2.0, renamed. From description it was like Misery 1.2.

Mouse acceleration is not an issue when OFF. Always turn that crap off in all games.
FoV can be changed via tweaker https://yadi.sk/d/ohS8LY2YSZuVw of through tilde (~) but default one is good.

SGM 2.2 Lost Souls and problems? Didn't experienced in my playthrough. But if you search more - every mod have problems, yet not experience it by yourself. Welcome to the modding world.
I recommend that one because weapon pack used here is cool, and enemies are not bullet sponges. Plus - enemies didn't cheat that much.

Want CoP? Choose either Misery 1.2, SGM 2.2 Lost Souls or Arsenal Overhaul (new version is coming December 4).

Want ShoC? Either Autumn Aurora 2, OGSE or AMK Autumn linked earlier.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I started playing CoP with SGM 2.2 and I am confused on how you are supposed to repair your items. Also I collected many weapons from dead raiders but nobody wants to buy it. So I guess I am not supposed to pick everything up :D

I don't like how hitting enemy with bullets has no visible effect. You only see when they die, but bullets don't slow them down or cause blood spatter. Only when you get hit you screen goes blurry and there is blood in front of your vision.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
ArchAngel
where did you started the game? Zaton or Cordon?
On Zaton there is big ship in the middle of the map, the is trader and repair guy, who also do upgrades for armors and guns.
If you started in the Cordon - the repair guy will appear after few missions from the boss, trader in the outpost don't buy guns.

You still need to collect all these dropped guns - to unload ammunition from them and - obviously - to have something to shoot enemies.

And classic - use shotguns against mutants and assault rifles agains human enemies.
Don't bother with pistols, they're useless (they were used only in ShoC and CS because that was the only thing, that fit into 2nd slot), similar to SMGs.

Anyone played Faction Wars for Clear Sky? Feistin on it.
Cool freeplay mod. It's good for what it is.
There is attempt to bring it into Call of Chernobyl.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/warfare-0181

ArchAngel

Arcane
ArchAngel
where did you started the game? Zaton or Cordon?
On Zaton there is big ship in the middle of the map, the is trader and repair guy, who also do upgrades for armors and guns.
If you started in the Cordon - the repair guy will appear after few missions from the boss, trader in the outpost don't buy guns.

You still need to collect all these dropped guns - to unload ammunition from them and - obviously - to have something to shoot enemies.

And classic - use shotguns against mutants and assault rifles agains human enemies.
Don't bother with pistols, they're useless (they were used only in ShoC and CS because that was the only thing, that fit into 2nd slot), similar to SMGs.
I started in Cordon. I did figure out early that I need to unload guns. I got better guns from dead allied Stalkers but they get damaged fast and I cannot repair them. I now started dropping most of what I find.
And I did figure out shotguns work best vs those dog like creatures, first I used a 2 barrel one but found a gas powered automatic one on dead Stalker. Also got some AK74 and some Tactical version as well. Also found a rifle with a scope but no ammo for it.
Does your aim improve somehow later? Rifles cannot hit shit even when I crouch and use right mouse button to aim. I got many types of ammo, don't know which to sell as I don't know which weapon I will run into next and they flood my inventory and I am always near or over weight limit (any way to increase carry weight?).

I am always a bit radiated as it is so easy to run into those zones, game does not tell you how much exactly. I cannot sleep when under radiation but I didn't notice any other negative effects.

The detector thingy, it uses battery but I don't understand what it does. I tried holding it in hand and nothing. I do get sound warnings of radiations and anomaly even when not holding it. I like how you need to eat and stuff which I missed in Fo4. I don't like how all you loot is ammo, weapons and food/bandages :D

Some pistols like Berreta do as much damage as AK74.
I noticed some weapons have a little symbol on their picture which represents some improvements to them. You can modify weapons yourself later? I suppose I need some special tools or workbench.

Does the game have any RPG like character advancement? This mod seems to give me some rank value which is somehow connected with availability of quests or something.

Also the grass density killed the FPS of the game, I had to turn it down to half to get above 60 fps.

potatojohn

Arcane
You don't need mods for a first play of the STALKER games. They work fine on their own.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just started playing that Oblivion Lost 3.1. It seems somewhat easier than 2.2, I might need to tweak actor.ltx to increase the damage a bit.

Some of the story changes they've made are a bit weird. Duty and Freedom presence is heavily reduced, the military now holds a lot of locations that were populated by Duty or Freedom NPCs.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
ArchAngel

I started in Cordon
Hope you enjoy cleaning whole map from the bandits.

Radiation is not bad in small doses. In higher (yellow/red) is deadly.
You either cure them with blue/yellow medkits, vodka (that's why Stalker is cool), antiradiants (expensive) or artifacts like Medusa, but your suit must have at least one slot, and I'm p.sure your leather jacket have none and can't be upgraded to have that slot.

Aim does not improve, Stalker is not RPG. Rifles shoot less accurate because they worn out with every bullet fired.
Guns can be modified, suits too. You can't do it, there must be technician in the base (cog symbol on the minimap) but beware - they cost a lot.
BTW. use crouch+walk combo (Ctrl+shift). This way you crouch even more (don't know how to describe it better) so you can fit in the smaller holes and sometimes reach some stashes, that can't be reached with normal crouch.

Detectors are used to find artifacts in Clear Sky and CoP, the better one - the better artifacts you can find. SGM put option, which make detector depend on the batteries but you can turn it off in the options.
First one - yellow detector - is useless. Start with Bear detector (round display that show direction, where is nearby artifact), then Veles (show exact artifact location) and others introduced in the SGM (Omega, Gamma and else).
Veles can be found in the Swamps, in the Northwest corner (won't spoil how to get there, but it's worth finding, finding artifacts will be way, way easier with him).

Does the game have any RPG like character advancement
No. The only advancement comes from better guns, better suits and right artifacts set.
That's it.

any way to increase carry weight
Better suits, certain artifacts improve it, Hercules pills and exoskeletons.

I am always near or over weight limit
Find some chests or stashes to put all that stuff. NPCs don't steal from it, don't worry.
Bring only most vital items - few medkits (max5) few bandages, something to cure radiation, few grenades... ammunition is important.
If you know there will be fight - get ~150bullets, if not - 70 is max. Shotgun ammo - 40, max 50 because it's heavy. Don't run with boxes of ammo on your back.

Some pistols like Berreta do as much damage as AK74
Which mean you have mod with good weapon pack. Usually they're useless, you need to be veteran of Stalker games if you want to use them effective.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, it said SGM 2.2 has the weapon mod included. One of the main reasons why I went with it over 2.1 which they said you start in same area like in vanilla CoP.

The starting suit had 2 artifact slots and I even had some crystal artifact but it gave me +1 radiation when worn so I sold it instead.

As for your advice:
1. find stash. Check :D I bought backpack from starting merchant hoping it will give me more inventory space but all it gives you is "make your own stash thing". I suppose I should use it for that.

Any way to fast travel?

Also, is it worth it to just go exploring instead of just going to where quests tell me? Or does that mean quick and painful death every 5 minutes? :D

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I even had some crystal artifact but it gave me +1 radiation when worn so I sold it instead
You should keep some artifacts so you can go into anomalies without loosing health too fast.
Artifacts give better protection but they are radiated. You need to get artifact that reduce radiation. That's how you play Stalker.

Fast travel is only avaliable with Pilot guy, who sit in the main base at Zaton and Yanov, and some Garry guy in last map Pripyat. They cost 3000 in one way.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I played some more. I did enough missions to get access to repair guy. Yea repaired weapons are much more accurate, also I see that tech guy can upgrade them all for lots of cash (that I don't have as they don't want to buy weapons from me).
I found Bear scanner on body of some raider or someone. I have yet to see it find any artifacts. Is the range on that thing low? How does finding artifacts work? I see lots of those half invisible anomalies around, can you get artifacts from them or are all artifacts just preplaced on the map?

I noticed I can de-attach silencers from weapons but I have not found a way to attach them to other weapons. When I mouse over the silencer it shows which weapon it can be put on but I don't know how.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played some more. I did enough missions to get access to repair guy. Yea repaired weapons are much more accurate, also I see that tech guy can upgrade them all for lots of cash (that I don't have as they don't want to buy weapons from me).
I found Bear scanner on body of some raider or someone. I have yet to see it find any artifacts. Is the range on that thing low? How does finding artifacts work? I see lots of those half invisible anomalies around, can you get artifacts from them or are all artifacts just preplaced on the map?

I noticed I can de-attach silencers from weapons but I have not found a way to attach them to other weapons. When I mouse over the silencer it shows which weapon it can be put on but I don't know how.

You normally just right click the silencer/scope/GL and the context menu will have an option like "Attach silencer to rifle".

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried that, I didn't get that option :(

And how do I earn money in this game?
Also there are so many grenades to find, I lob like 2-3 in each bigger fight because I found 30+ by now. I even keep selling them because unlike weapons they do want to buy them.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Check your map in PDA. There are various anomalies on the map. Here you pull out the detector and start artifact hunt.

First one is few steps from the Rookie village, to the north. Second anomaly - go to the passage under the railway. From there - go to the east, you should find lone wagon. From there go to these rocks nearby. There will be Opera artifact (or whatever it is called) that trades is looking for. But I never gave him this thing because it's too good.
Third anomaly should have Medusa artifact, it's near fallen truck, near main road.

Once again - don't sell artifacts yet. Especially the one that reduce your radiation.

By selling stuff that you don't need.
But that work only in Zaton and Yanov/Jupiter maps, where you find proper traders named Owl and Hawaian.

Sell these grenades.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I tried that, I didn't get that option :(

Also there are so many grenades to find, I lob like 2-3 in each bigger fight because I found 30+ by now. I even keep selling them because unlike weapons they do want to buy them.

Artifact hunting is a good source of income in most of the games. In COP you can make loads of money using the veles detector and wandering an anomaly zone.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Check your map in PDA. There are various anomalies on the map. Here you pull out the detector and start artifact hunt.

First one is few steps from the Rookie village, to the north. Second anomaly - go to the passage under the railway. From there - go to the east, you should find lone wagon. From there go to these rocks nearby. There will be Opera artifact (or whatever it is called) that trades is looking for. But I never gave him this thing because it's too good.
Third anomaly should have Medusa artifact, it's near fallen truck, near main road.

Once again - don't sell artifacts yet. Especially the one that reduce your radiation.

By selling stuff that you don't need.
But that work only in Zaton and Yanov/Jupiter maps, where you find proper traders named Owl and Hawaian.

Sell these grenades.
I didn't see anything on PDA. All I found are those ripples in the air that do you damage when I walk around.

Also when I went north west from starting base in Cordon you find a stash in some area under the bridge (or tunnel) that has lots of radiation. If you move forward into it those ripples in the air look a bit different, like some small lightning storm or something. Is this the anomaly?

Also two artifact I found didn't give me radiation resistance, both had +1 radiation that was in red letters. And as soon as I put it on the radiation poisoning icon became green like I was irradiated. Since I didn't know if this +1 radiation was per second or if it can be removed and since both gave some minor bonuses to resistances or something so I sold them both. The money let me repair my Tactical AK74 rifle and my starting armor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom