Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Arx Fatalis Thread

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BTW, you didn't see the best part of the crypt if you didn't go deeper...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh hey let's go down a few levels, huh, what the fuck is this shoggoth thing.

Well, whatever, it finally unclogged a way down to lvl 8, wonder what's here.

Ooooh, dwarven ruins or something wonder what happened here let's- FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

damn you Arx Fatalis :x

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
lolololol, hope you looted the crypt

No kidding son :x
You can actually open up two different exits to the outer levels on other crypt levels. Though one of them is not exactly a major improvement of the situation.

Also, you can get all the runes really early if you are creative (even not buying the three you can buy). Sequence breaking arx is lovely.

Also since you're on the dwarf zone... don't give up. And when you can go up; go up (but first, change the fuses).

I wish arx had more levels... the crypt was a good idea, another separate area like that would be cool (and if the crypt extended beyond 6 levels would be cool too)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Two exits, you say. There's one on the... 4th or 5th level leading to the area with some goblins, trolls and traders that I remember. The second is... leading to the underground lake or rebel base, I thiiiiiink? Hazy memory for some reason.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The spider zone, that really dark level. I was in permanent infra-vision beyond the 6th; with enough magic stat mana grows faster than the spell uses it.

pity about the horrible sound :x

The spell the Ysildes use is also really handy to move around fast, to get to a portal. And very simple to cast (though very costly).

I only found out one of the runes now (some 5 replays after the first). It's a really well hidden mortis (or is it tempus?) rune on the goblin 'treasure' (not the king's the fake) level. There is also a secret in there that takes you into the serpent women area, so you can loot it without making them hostile

Also, Arx has 3 different endings but they are more like 'bad', 'better', 'more better'. They're predicated on being nosy and 'hearing' ... uh, stuff.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Uh, now that i think about it... i think that ALL the levels of the crypt with the exception of the last have a exit... some of them are just really fucking obscure to open and one way, while those two are two way.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The crypt is full of secrets walls. For instance, there is more to find where you got the shield (and there is more to find below etc). I was mentioning how
if you loot the first level, when you return you'll get gang mobbed by about 4 liches that summon zombies (fortunately not as a group though i imagine running around is a bad idea)

Arx really needed fireball immune liches :troll:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Arx Fatalis question:

On the third level of the crypt, in the place with stained glass windows where you meet your first mummy, when going up the left stairs there's an obvious secret wall with some interactable panel on the wall next to it. There's some engraving on it that's prob a space for a key or something similar. How do I open it?

EDIT: actually nvm, found the key :M Strange that I didn't find it the first time

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Arx Fatalis question:

On the third level of the crypt, in the place with stained glass windows where you meet your first mummy, when going up the left stairs there's an obvious secret wall with some interactable panel on the wall next to it. There's some engraving on it that's prob a space for a key or something similar. How do I open it?

EDIT: actually nvm, found the key :M Strange that I didn't find it the first time
There is another secret room there that i only found out about last year. It's also embarrassingly obvious.

Renevent

Cipher
Arx Fatalis is one of my favorite RPG's of all time. Love the sound and the atmosphere. I really wish Arkane would do a follow up to it...especially now they have released a pretty successful game with Dishonored.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The crypt is full of secrets walls. For instance, there is more to find where you got the shield (and there is more to find below etc). I was mentioning how
if you loot the first level, when you return you'll get gang mobbed by about 4 liches that summon zombies (fortunately not as a group though i imagine running around is a bad idea)

Arx really needed fireball immune liches :troll:
Is that some later patch thing? The spoilered part sounds hilarious and I would think I I'd remember that (not looting tombs is of course out of the question).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm unsure. I did install the so called 'GoG patch' that is the result of a diff of the gog install; and ran the data on the arx libertatis exe so it's possible that one of these (probably the gog patch) changed things.

edit: actually it was later turned into a exe http://www.arkane-studios.com/uk/arx_downloads.php

Oh yeah; if you want to sequence break... you do know you don't need to get the key to the crypt right? You can lockpick it with about 90 technical skill.
And by getting into the crypts... and using one of the exits... you can bypass the troll strike. And then go into the lower levels before speaking to the king.
You can also get to the dragon before you should be able to (she has a bit of dialog about that).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is that some later patch thing? The spoilered part sounds hilarious and I would think I I'd remember that (not looting tombs is of course out of the question).

Nope, it's not a patch thing. It's just happened to me today and I'm playing patchless.

CorpseZeb

Learned
' bout Arx Fatalis. I stoled the key to the outside world from the King, and of course, the ice killed me instantly. I fondly remember that moment, because it is iconic to the claustrophobic, dark Arx apparency. The thoughts about escape to waste, outside world was so... attractive. Do UU's are that kind dungeon-claustrophobic too?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Aaaaand this concludes Arx Fagalis. Cool game, although I felt there could have been more stuff to do on levels 6-8. Especially concerning the rat men, they are never really presented in any way other than 'here be skaven'.

also fuck those ylsides mang

Murk

Arcane
Magic is an absolute must for the Ylsides.

Anyone try to not rescue the dude in the prison in the beginning? Old boy does not forgive. And fuck do I like that awkward as ending where you suddenly realize that maybe, just fucking maybe EVIL isn't so evil.

Raapys

Arcane
Loved the game in general, but it should have had far more content and a larger world.

Anyway, am I remembering incorrectly or has the spell damage been greatly lowered since the last time I played a few years ago? I'm using one of those new patches, but I can't recall having to use this many spells to bring down enemies before; particularly the higher level spells seem less potent.

Micmu

Magister
So, I'm going to re-re-re-replay Arx, with Arx Libertatis engine (in fact, I already installed it... looks and feels exactly like original Arx).
Are there any mods out yet (like MORE dungeons and shit) and why not? o_O

yellowcake

Arcane
So I got this Krohaz and Zohar and I go to the evil guy's temple again to use them on the meteorite (had a longer break from the game, can't remember details). There are a few zombie knights roaming there now. They fucking kill me in three fast blows before I manage to draw my weapon. I guess I'm not supposed to go back there yet?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I got this Krohaz and Zohar and I go to the evil guy's temple again to use them on the meteorite (had a longer break from the game, can't remember details). There are a few zombie knights roaming there now. They fucking kill me in three fast blows before I manage to draw my weapon. I guess I'm not supposed to go back there yet?
You are supposed to magic the shit out of them. Melee is absolutely underpowered when fighting the Ylsides.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom