Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Arx Fatalis Thread

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Did you unionize the trolls?
I don't think so. Suppose that's one more troll sidequest? As for killing them afterwards, there is not much penalty besides that cheap feeling of powergamerism then? Because i could use all that precious xp given how the game is supposedly fucking up my game because i didn't choose the only viable build.
Also, the Ylsides first appear quite a bit into the game and I don't think you're nearly there yet.
In that case i should be able to max out my melee proves to the very ceiling if, of course, skills don't go beyond 100 (?). Are even Conan like beasts with maxed everything stupidly weak against the illsnides? Didn't Arcania do any beta testing at all? :M The cheesy hit and run tactics also could work. This game look very much like gothics in many aspects, one of them being proneness to exploits.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
because i didn't choose the only viable build.

Stop being a woman. There's a big difference between "only viable build" and "easiest build". There is only one place where you will be in a WORLD OF HURT because of horrible premature Ylside rape.

LivingOne

Savant
I think you should be able to 'rectify' your build anyway by the time you meet ylsides.There' some sort of combustion spell that is pretty effective against them(don't remember the name,sorry) so if you can cast that...

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Stop being a woman. There's a big difference between "only viable build" and "easiest build". There is only one place where you will be in a WORLD OF HURT because of horrible premature Ylside rape.
If that is so, i will continue with my brute. Was under impression that the whole reminder of the game turns into frustration alley when not being able to magic. Besides, i probably couldn't rise my mental and casting skills to a level that these spells even become effective.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, not at all. Plus, I seem to remember having a lot of problems with my pure mage in the very last level and final fight.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
btw
Stop being a woman.
Yup. Couldn't handle Ylsides at fucking all in melee up until the very very very lategame. And even then I had to use 1-2 healing potions per guy.
Tell me about it. I've just smacked down the meteor of Akbaa, so I use a teleport to get back to the ranch Arx Castle and SUDDENLY MASSIVE YLSIDE RAPE.

I pretty much had only 2 possible ways of handling it and I took the more cheesy one because they'd rape me down in 3-4 hits. Either lure them all to the throne room, cast levitation and riddle them full of arrows (while spamming health potions on the way there, fucking haste bullshit) or use an interesting bug that I found out by accident while running for my life - apparently, when the ylsides would follow me up the stairs to the private chambers in the throne room and I'd jump over the chest-high wall down again, they'd sheathe their swords and just run around me getting pounded. I laughed at the prospect of fighting them fair and square as I whacked them and whacked them and whacked them AND THEN SOME MORE for like 5 minutes each before they'd finally go down. Shit's ridonkulous.
OMG RAPERAPE THEY RAPE NOOOOO AREGHTRAPE MULTHIDEDEDCOCKS EVERYWHEEEERE NOOOOOOS... :rage:
Few months after having finished the game through despair and sour vagina-
OMG WTF DUDE BE REAL MAN LIKE ME AND HULK OUT OR GETZ OUTTA KTICHUNZZ, WHATYA SCARED OF SUM PANSY ASS WOOPASSES LOL :martini:

I love this forum.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
OMG RAPERAPE THEY RAPE NOOOOO AREGHTRAPE MULTHIDEDEDCOCKS EVERYWHEEEERE NOOOOOOS...
Few months after having finished the game through despair and sour vagina-
OMG WTF DUDE BE REAL MAN LIKE ME AND HULK OUT OR GETZ OUTTA KTICHUNZZ, WHATYA SCARED OF SUM PANSY ASS WOOPASSES LOL

FFS bro how is the shit I've written here contradicting what I've written in that thread?

There is ONE place where you will be utterly buttraped by the Ylsides (which I've mentioned here twice, and it's the one I'm raging about in that thread), and it will most likely need exploits, luck or hueg stacking up on resources (maybe it's actually easier for a straight up muscles character, too, 'cause mine was a jack-of-all-trades thing), and THEN you can PRETTY MUCH go toe-to-toe with them, but it usually requires a health potion per fight, and it happens at the very end of the game, but is nowhere near impossible, which also happens to be what I've written in this very thread.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I may be misremembering, but couldn't you just sneak past all the Ylsides the first time they appeared?

And I guess you can't do it with a pure melee fighter with zero magic, but I recall you can haste yourself and kite them around a bit until their haste wears off, after which they are not so bad.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Liches are easy shit, just hack them to pieces.
Lulz, did you stroll through the king's tomb? I'm always terrified whenever i go into that place and i played the game 7 times.

To grind: there is one secret spell in arx per spell level... (i say 'one', because the ones that use secret runes are not listed and tend to be straight up cheats)
It's enjoyable breaking arx progression in pieces, things like going to the lowest cavern level and catacombs just after meeting the king, getting all the runes along the way, breaking into the [redacted] undetected and stuff.
Also, although there are 2 ways of getting the things of power you'll need for plot advancement, you can do both paths as long as you don't pickup the stuff or aren't detected ;) - this is only good because there is another unique piece of loot there though, so you might as well leave after picking it up.

Also, don't be a idiot like me and try casting a plot spell on the last level.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
An invisibility potion could also do the trick if you want to sneak by. Anyway, with an abundance of life potions the Ylsides are perfectly doable with pure melee, and don't tell me anything about builds and shit, pure melee builds and usage of potions goes together. (So you better put some points in object knowledge in order to make them) Also poison potions aren't bad either, you can coat your weapons (but not the enchanted ones IIRC) and arrows with it and do extra poison damage.

I finished the game once with a warrior. Sneaked past the Ylside and used an invisibility potion a couple of times. I think I also had the toughest armour by then and didn't have too much trouble killing them. Just play smart and don't expect to Rambo your way around them.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Finished the game. Mage really devolved into harm spam towards the end. Deploy seven times, stare at enemy until it dies.

Gord

Arcane
Is anyone following the development of Arx Libertatis?
There was a bugfix release recently, but I wonder how much progress they make with their plans to modernize the engine a bit.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
That puzzle in the crypts level was pretty shit. Took me forever to figure it out because I didn't notice the engravings in the rooms in the previous section.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think the best part of Arx, and what made the game worthwhile, was actually exploring the dungeons. The character development was pretty crappy.

It's really more of a dungeon crawler, in the oldschool sense, than an "RPG" properly speaking.

(Which only makes me like it more, of course. :M)

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Remember to picklock the crypt before you get the key and go all the way to the lowest level for max enjoyment.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
it's only about 30 pts or something if you savescum. The game has notoriously broken mechanics, like:
how invisibility interacts with pickpocket - you can never be detected... granted, getting access to some items in still skill dependant
how you can steal the vendors blind in the chapters where their home is locked, dump the loot on the floor right there - it is now 'yours' - and the fuck off to do whatever, come in the next chapter and pickup the stuff and sell it to them right there

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That puzzle in the crypts level was pretty shit. Took me forever to figure it out because I didn't notice the engravings in the rooms in the previous section.
That's not the problem of the puzzle now, is it. I personally hated the "maze with levers" part on the next floor more.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
it's only about 30 pts or something if you savescum. The game has notoriously broken mechanics, like:
how invisibility interacts with pickpocket - you can never be detected... granted, getting access to some items in still skill dependant
how you can steal the vendors blind in the chapters where their home is locked, dump the loot on the floor right there - it is now 'yours' - and the fuck off to do whatever, come in the next chapter and pickup the stuff and sell it to them right there

Yeah but finding ways to break the game like this is always fun. It's blatant mistakes I don't like, but games like these give you a lot of options on how to do things and eventually you find some way to break them. It reminds me Arcanum where you could rob the merchants each night and sell them back their goods in the day, an easy way to get infinite cash and bullets, or in Deus Ex where by using LAMs you can climb virtually anywhere.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Everyone has got to admit that stalagmite humping for access to a obligatory part of the game was a bit much. That area felt like something that should rightfully be a secret area
(like the secret passage into the snake women's area).
Btw has long as you've got 2 levitate scrolls and a fireball one you can go there with profit almost from the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom