Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The VGX 2013 Thread (in before Mountain Dew)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
jFHQTkSPKDe8.jpg

Why hast thou betrayed thy Lord, Geoffrey?:rpgcodex:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

A repost, you say? The other video has been shut down due to copyright violations from Viacom.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If you watch movie or music awards, his performance was nothing special, is what you get from hiring comedians. But vidya games are SERIOUS BUSINESS, so insecure and self-aware that just saying you're on a "nerd event" already gets everyone uncomfortable.

so insecure and self-aware that just saying you're on a "nerd event" already gets everyone uncomfortable.
Hm? Aren't all these "awards" just a self-congratulatory marketing circlejerks bought and paid for by publishers, directly or indirectly? Can't imagine even nerds watching this shit, except through facepalms and a boner for masochism.
Joel didn't seem to be doing comedy, to me, but generally seething with "WTF am I doing here. Oh god, kill me nao." and couldn't hide it as well as the rest of the whores that came to the show.
Watching Geoff try to gobble as much publisher cock as he could manage with "What are you doing, Joel?!" plastered all over his face was amusing, though, I admit.

Dr Tomo

Learned
So this is making waves on reddit and yes it really hasn't been verified yet. Ironically everything said is pretty believable and not surprising, either way it is a amusing read.
A lot of people seem a bit confused as to just what the hell is going on with the VGAs. As a former employee of both Spike and GameTrailers, I can tell you exactly what's happening.

I've worked for Spike and GameTrailers in web content, and both times, I left, on good terms, the same way: A few ranks above my boss's head, a new executive was slotted into place, and the first thing he did was, essentially, piss all over everything to establish dominance. Usually that meant people (like me) getting fired and at least one of the editors on the site forced to quit, or deciding to leave before the hammer came down. It also meant budget cuts with higher demands.

To give you an idea of the scale of the problem, I have no bitterness over my firing because the first day of work I realized that what they wanted me to achieve was impossible. I wasn't told this in so many words, but the job of myself and a fair number of good guys was to get GTs views up so they wouldn't get killed by YouTube. I worked hard for my money and was very well paid, but I knew the clock was ticking down the moment I was told I couldn't use a YouTube embed because "YouTube is our competitor."

The VGAs are really to promote GameTrailers, a site Viacom has spent a lot of money on and is probably going to wind up killing sooner rather than later. The short of it is that Viacom had to demonstrate to publishers that there was a compelling reason to not just post everything on YouTube. They haven't done that.

The VGAs this year had the rank stench of executive piss about them, to be honest, starting with the name change: I know the staff there still and VGX is definitely an order from on high. They can be cheesy but they wouldn't do something like that voluntarily. I'd lay down money McHale was a last-minute addition to the show and that neither he nor GT wanted him on there. The budget cuts, again, classic Viacom executive: I guarantee that the new guy just cut the budget in half and sent it back with a note saying "Do Better."

So, essentially, the VGAs suck because they have an impossible job; Make gamers care about Spike and GT. Once GT gets shut down, and I give that a couple more years, expect the VGAs to go with it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1sffu9/a_former_spikegametrailers_employee_on_why_the/

deuxhero

Arcane
The VGAs are really to promote GameTrailers, a site Viacom has spent a lot of money on and is probably going to wind up killing sooner rather than later. The short of it is that Viacom had to demonstrate to publishers that there was a compelling reason to not just post everything on YouTube. They haven't done that.

It's funny: Youtube does everything it can to drive people away, but its competitors are too dumb to capitalize on it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I actually love it when Hale gets up on these shows - because he doesn't give a fuck.

Obviously, he's absolutely a terrible presenter. Apathetic, hates the product, etc.

But the way he subverts the tropes of being a presenter by just not giving a shit is awesome. I'm amazed he even hosted considering his E3 presentation was hilariously sardonic and critical.

so insecure and self-aware that just saying you're on a "nerd event" already gets everyone uncomfortable.
Hm? Aren't all these "awards" just a self-congratulatory marketing circlejerks bought and paid for by publishers, directly or indirectly? Can't imagine even nerds watching this shit, except through facepalms and a boner for masochism.
Joel didn't seem to be doing comedy, to me, but generally seething with "WTF am I doing here. Oh god, kill me nao." and couldn't hide it as well as the rest of the whores that came to the show.
Watching Geoff try to gobble as much publisher cock as he could manage with "What are you doing, Joel?!" plastered all over his face was amusing, though, I admit.

Self-deprecative humor, might not work as intended if it hits too close to home among the audience.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's funny: Youtube does everything it can to drive people away, but its competitors are too dumb to capitalize on it.
I was just thinking the same thing. I feel like any company sizable enough to start up a streaming service could effectively take youtube on, at least in the areas that are hardest hit by this copyright claim bullshit. Blip is the only other video service I'm aware of that caters to people talking about video games, movies, etc, and they're too focused on trying to be exclusive to really compete with youtube.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I actually love it when Hale gets up on these shows - because he doesn't give a fuck.

Obviously, he's absolutely a terrible presenter. Apathetic, hates the product, etc.

But the way he subverts the tropes of being a presenter by just not giving a shit is awesome. I'm amazed he even hosted considering his E3 presentation was hilariously sardonic and critical.
Or more likely: McHale got hired to do precisely that.

DeepOcean

Arcane

To his credit he showed a glimpse of interest on Dying Light and the Tell Tale GoT movie.

sser

Arcane
Developer

Or more likely: McHale got hired to do precisely that.

It goes against T.V. production code and you can read that fact on the faces of almost everyone he talks to. Still a possibility, sure, but unlikely. Somebody higher up probably made a mistake by going off name recognition. Same shit with his E3 hosting which was a trainwreck for the poor pitchmen who had to work around him.

Psquit

Arcane
Yeah. Fuck those multiplatform games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom