Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think anybody posted this here btw:

Fairfax

Arcane
Well you better like him because he's allegedly the only good companion in the game.

Huh. Thanks for that info. Serves me right for judging a book by its cover, I suppose. Or perhaps it just reinforces the fact that this marketing campaign is pointless, if not detrimental.
Can't blame you, though. His portrait is the worst I've ever seen.

It's possible the character is not 100% MCA's, by the way. In one of their updates they mentioned he and Rothfuss delivered a big companion design document which includes dialogue samples, but it was implied that other writers would implement the character's dialogue in the final game.

Sizzle

Arcane
Erritis, Aligern, Callistege - is every companion going to favor the red tide? :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's possible the character is not 100% MCA's, by the way. In one of their updates they mentioned he and Rothfuss delivered a big companion design document which includes dialogue samples, but it was implied that other writers would implement the character's dialogue in the final game.

Haha but MCA is the guy who writes more than you want him to, not less.

They didn't want to say it was just Rothfuss

Fairfax

Arcane

Haha but MCA is the guy who writes more than you want him to, not less.

They didn't want to say it was just Rothfuss
Right, but I misremembered it, they said quite clearly that they wouldn't write the actual dialogue:

Filling in the CDD takes a while, but once it’s done and reviewed to make sure I’ve captured Aligern’s voice and kept it consistent, I move on to the last step of the process: creating Aligern’s Global Dialog. Some of the companion writers, such as Chris Avellone and Patrick Rothfuss, don’t continue on to the Global Dialog creation. We don’t need them to become experts at the conversation editor, and a full time designer can use their CDD to implement the dialog. (Though the original writer later does a pass on the implemented content to make sure it stayed true to their voice.)
(CCD = a 50-70 page Companion Design Document, explained in the post)

Hellion

Arcane
The guy who's reviewing the game for the greek site I write in says some pretty worrying things. The "player stronghold" is essentally a bronze sphere that you use to summon NPCs that you've let go, and the main storyline so far in his game (until right after "the Bloom") is quite linear and you're only allowed to affect the outcome of sidequests basically.

Fairfax

Arcane
The "player stronghold" is essentally a bronze sphere that you use to summon NPCs that you've let go,
What the fuck?
This is what they promised:

We thought it would be helpful to clarify a bit what we mean by a stronghold for Torment. It would be a location in the game that is “owned” by the PC, but won’t be a cozy home – it would be designed to fit the atmosphere of Torment and the setting of the Ninth World of Numenera (examples include an airship or a dimensional pocket). It would be a playable area and would include its own sorts of quests and challenges. We don’t intend for the stronghold to be a management mini-game, but it may serve gameplay functions as a storehouse, travel hub, and/or “museum” for accomplishments.

While a permanent home can be very relevant to one’s life, many do not leave such a legacy. Thus not only would the stronghold likely be optional, but its exact form within the game might change based on your decisions. It might not be a physical location at all (or even a static one – it may travel with you) and it would be well integrated into the storyline. Colin’s been resurrecting and evolving ideas from when we first considered the feature before culling it, and we hope to be able to run with them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
sea talked about the stronghold just the other day: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ming-february-28.102141/page-192#post-4980502

sea said:
The stronghold is the Calm. Throughout the game, different sections expand and grow over time. As you progress through the main story and make discoveries in the world, you will open up new fathoms to explore. You will also be able to uncover reflections of various NPCs, and solving their quests and engaging in their conversations lets you unlock and switch out various bonuses.

Greek reviewer may be wrong.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
16819518_1545334652143802_8917245935137587553_o.jpg

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Fuck, this is far better than I expected. Seems that misgiving expressed by some Kodexers were more than misguided, as ToN is turning out to be another critical darling. Guess that Kodex owes apology to devs...
I don't remember people here saying it'd be bashed by critics, only that it wouldn't sell well and wouldn't be well-received by the Codex itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom