Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
How have none of you noted that the "Day One Edition" is a cynical admission that the game will get require a Director's Cut and they're trying to address the future problem of console users choosing between versions?
You're right. But, InXile still gave out W2DC for free. Love or hate it, at least this signified some level of sincerity. That I can respect, even if this game turns out as catastrophic as we think.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How have none of you noted that the "Day One Edition" is a cynical admission that the game will get require a Director's Cut and they're trying to address the future problem of console users choosing between versions?
You're right. But, InXile still gave out W2DC for free. Love or hate it, at least this signified some level of sincerity. That I can respect, even if this game turns out as catastrophic as we think.
Has there been any company that didn't release patches for free lately?

roll-a-die

Magister
Given what i've played so far in the demo, it's going to turn out better than is suggested here. I don't know about content in the areas beyond the demo, but everything in the demo has been pretty much what I expected. I really wish there was an option to turn skill check tags and challenges off though. Just increase the base chance by like 10% on each of them, and it would probably be balanced. The interruptions that the little, select dots used thing are annoying at times, especially for things that should probably be natural or unconscious. Like relearning a language using Anamnesis( however the fuck you spell that skill. )

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Most AAA developers make you pay for their Enhanced Edition rereleases, though they typically offer a discount.

roll-a-die

Magister

Most AAA developers make you pay for their Enhanced Edition rereleases, though they typically offer a discount.
Witcher 3 didn't.
Skyrim didn't if you had bought the DLC that was going to be included anyway.
Trying to think of any company on PC that DID charge for that. Pretty much if it's on PC we get the rerelease patches for free. As far as I've noticed at least.
It's only the console players that have to pay for rerelease versions.

Wait I've got one, From Software Dark Souls 2, and they ate a lot of shit for Scholars of the First Sin.

roll-a-die

Magister
Did they really give it for free to everyone or just to backers?
If you buy Wasteland 2, you get the Enhanced Edition and the Regular Version now.
If you use a key for Wasteland 2 Regular Edition, it gives you the Enhanced Edition as well IIRC that's what I did.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Not sure who exactly do you mean, but I'm also very much not informed on the AAA market.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Tbh I can't even remember the details on "W2-W2DC" - just that it was a rare gesture to give it out for free. Maybe it was just a big patch, but it was also a separate game - you had to re-download it.
(EDIT: One major thing was, an updated Unity engine to more versatile build)

When you hear "Director's Cut", you usually think it's something extensive. In the case of other crowd funded games (Divinity/Shadowrun) their iterations have been just that. ShadowrunDF/DC was more than a patch. I think Harebrained expected a small fee though iirc...

Last edited:

roll-a-die

Magister
Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, the Metro games.

Everyone.
Wait a second, I bought DE HR when it released, and I have the directors cut now, no cost. EDIT: I'm an idiot, I bought DE:HR on release, and have the directors cut because I got it in a bundle at some point in 2014. I learned this by fact checking my own statement. I thought I had gotten it for free for some reason(My bundle addiction.)
Sleeping Dogs is maybe a case of the DLC thing again. I don't know though. Or it's a case of Square Enix being Square Enix.
The Metro games were a case of the devs wanting to eek money for an extensive graphical upgrade IIRC. Also wouldn't call the Metro games AAA. Sleeping Dogs, and DE:HR I'll give you. But Metro lacked the hype of a AAA game. Even if they had the quality.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Everyone.
Wait a second, I bought DE HR when it released, and I have the directors cut now, no cost.
Sleeping Dogs is maybe a case of the DLC thing again. I don't know though. Or it's a case of Square Enix being Square Enix.
The Metro games were a case of the devs wanting to eek money for an extensive graphical upgrade IIRC. Also wouldn't call the Metro games AAA. Sleeping Dogs, and DE:HR I'll give you. But Metro lacked the hype of a AAA game. Even if they had the quality.

Sleeping Dogs is an example of the "special edition" being worse than the original.

roll-a-die

Magister

Everyone.
Wait a second, I bought DE HR when it released, and I have the directors cut now, no cost.

Sleeping Dogs is an example of the "special edition" being worse than the original.
Good too know I don't have to rebuy it then.

EDIT: THIS IS SARCASM.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17159#p181125

Brother None said:
The day one patch list refers to fixes made FOR the disc version of the game. Press is already playing the day one version, or a build very close to it (depending on their platform).

We'll be sure to reach out to them to clear up any confusion, thanks for pointing that out!

Has the Legacy system been cut from the game?

sea said:
Legacies are in the game, and are different combinations of Dominant Tides as called out in some of our early Kickstarter updates. There are 16 legacies, and they feed into the game's endings. Additionally, there is a large amount of dialog in the game influenced by your Tides/Legacy. Some NPCs can respond differently to you based on your Tides, and some quests have certain options that are available only with specific Tides.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Brother None said:
The day one patch list refers to fixes made FOR the disc version of the game. Press is already playing the day one version, or a build very close to it (depending on their platform).

Haha. Plans for a "Day one patch". This has become such the norm over the last decade, I would be concerned were there no plans for one.

Anyone remember "day one" of Vtm:B? FO:NV? Fun times.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17159#p181125

Brother None said:

We'll be sure to reach out to them to clear up any confusion, thanks for pointing that out!

Has the Legacy system been cut from the game?

sea said:
Legacies are in the game, and are different combinations of Dominant Tides as called out in some of our early Kickstarter updates. There are 16 legacies, and they feed into the game's endings. Additionally, there is a large amount of dialog in the game influenced by your Tides/Legacy. Some NPCs can respond differently to you based on your Tides, and some quests have certain options that are available only with specific Tides.
I love how he just casually leaves out the oft-repeated idea that your Legacy would be more than just the ending, and was going to affect what Foci you had access to, give you new abilities, and such. :lol:

I could be called Day One Edition because it will have a day one patch hurr hurr:

The whole "Day 1 super-patch for the best experience for our customers!"-thing is really just a disingenuous and underhanded publicity stunt. Apparently, advance reviewers already have access to this version, and have had for days. So it's not a "Day 1 patch" just the actual release version.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Seems kind of redundant to have Legacies affect lots of stuff when you already have Tides, no? Your Legacy is just a product of your Tides. It's clearer and more logical to have them do most stuff in-game, with Legacies maybe only gating very important stuff (like endings)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Seems kind of redundant to have Legacies affect lots of stuff when you already have Tides, no? Your Legacy is just a product of your Tides. It's clearer and more logical to have them do most stuff in-game, with Legacies maybe only gating very important stuff (like endings)
Legacies are just the result of your Tides. Legacy is really just another way to say Alignment, but without the D&D bagage, and it's narrative measurements are the Tides, similar to Dispositions in PoE. It's messy terminology, but it's fucking Numenera, so it's no surprise. There's no relevant distinction between Tides and Legacies in this case.

Point is that your Legacy isn't going to affect your choices of Foci (because there's only 3), Factions (because there are none), or give you any abilities. The Tides are going to determine your Legacy, and your Legacy is mostly an ending slides thing, and apparently is also going to affect dialogues a bit, but given what we know of promises of this sort in the past, I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
OK, so what's the problem

Additionally, there is a large amount of dialog in the game influenced by your Tides/Legacy. Some NPCs can respond differently to you based on your Tides, and some quests have certain options that are available only with specific Tides.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Legacies seem like it'll be a lategame thing where they just rename all the Tide dialogue options to legacy once you cross a line. Doesn't seem like it'll be a big deal either way, which is probably a good thing.

t

Arcane
Patron
Btw. have we just gotten over the fact that "beta" or "alpha" versions on steam are just glorified demos? During the KS I thought that if someone pledges for alpha/beta, they are in the project from the beginning and can see different stages of development as they happen, get updates, possibly report bugs and discuss features. But apparently beta was a demo vertical slice once released. They never cared to update it even though the final version has been available for months -- see the physical CDs that had to be manufactured. The press is playing the day 1 version now but what are the fans who payed for beta access playing? Outdated demo still?

Lhynn

Arcane
Wall of text
Its more like the codex usually attributes to malice that which can easily be explained by incompetence.
Mostly because its more fun to think of the people making our games as machiavellian, rather than washed out has been and talentless newcomers.

At the end of the day regardless of the reasons behind the final product, the quality of it has made itself evident during the beta. But i guess we shall see.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since the disc I'm receiving is allegedly DRM-free they're likely only getting one shot with me.

I doubt they're going to spend money on DRM-free disc patches like Obsidian foolishly did (and never again).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom