Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Wasteland 2 or PoE?

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Nael

Arcane

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You go on a hotdog stand and want to buy a hotdog, the guy that is selling want to sell a Wasteland 2 hotdog and tells you it has Fallout and Wasteland 1 sauces on it and he makes a traditional hotdog for fans of hotdog . You buy it happy and taste it but the guy placed alot less Fallout and Wasteland sauces in it than he promised, you felt kinda cheated but the sausage tasted good enough, won't blow your mind but it wasn't the worst hotdog ever, meh, anything goes when you are hungry right?

Next day, being kinda disappointed by the previous hotdog seller, you decide to go to a stand where the guy claims being the genius of the hotdogs. He tells you he has a brillant idea about hotdogs and he was the only one that had the understanding of everything that gone wrong on hotdogs all those years and he would make a revolutionary hotdog. He makes the hotdog, place all kinds of sauces on it. You pay for it and buy it, after a bite you discover there is no sausage on the hotdog, only bread and sauces. You complain of course, but he tells you that the geniality behind his work is that he makes hotdogs without sausages for people with sensible stomachs and as you ask what is the point of a hotdog without a sausage in it, he tells you he watched alot of people having stomach reactions to sausage so he removed them and that is better for everyone, see, a revolutionary hotdog. That is the PoE hotdog for you.

Brofisted for the analogy only.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like them both; neither is timeless classic but both are worthwhile games and hopefully the basis of even better games for the future. I actualy prefer Wasteland 2 because of the tb combat and if you enjoyed Fallout you probably wont be disapointed

I was stuck between four games first : Shadowrun,Divinity original sin,wasteland2 and poe
I'll recommend you AoD as well. It's a bit different to those games you listed (dev really likes edgy writing for one thing), but unlike W2 or PoE I actually managed to finish it without dying of boredom (a real danger if you go with PoE). I also recommed Dragonfall (DC), I think it's a much better choice than either of those two.

But if the only turn-based game you ever played was Fallout 1, I think you'd be better off returning to the classics you missed. Start with Fallout 2, then go for Arcanum, they blow everything new out of water.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Both were equally underwhelming at release. However, DC made Wasteland 2 better and updates may have made PoE better too. I'm still waiting for White March pt 2 so I can get the full experience before passing judgement on PoE, though.

RuySan

Augur
I will make the choice easier for your by reminding that there are other cRPGs that were also released recently:
  1. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  2. Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  3. Shadowrun Returns
  4. Telepath Tactics
  5. Age of Decadence
  6. Divinity: Original Sin
  7. Blackguards
  8. Lords of Xulima
  9. Might and Magic X
  10. Wither 3
  11. Serpants in the Staglands
  12. Neo Scavenger
  13. Valkyria Chronicles
  14. Dead State
  15. The Banner Saga
  16. Legends of Grimrock
I am quite sure I still forgot a few. I am playing through Wasterland 2 now and liking it a lot. Here are my experiences so far http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ead-directors-cut.94233/page-176#post-4222924

I just don't see what people see in Shadowrun games. The character system and combat are beyond shallow, and there's not any exploration or interactivity in the world.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hi! This is my first post.
I want to buy a crpg game but now im confused between Wasteland2 and PoE.
Only turn based game i ever played is Fallout1. And i enjoyed it too much but i have more rtwp experience.
Which one is a better game to buy and why?!

Being honest the Director's Cut has probably pushed WL2 into classic status, and probably elevated it into the single best Kickstarter so far (noting that I still enjoyed Dragonfall more). Nice tactics, nice character progression, nice atmosphere, great C&C, and exquisite game feel. The game just feels good now.

Subsequent patches have pushed Pillars of Eternity further in that direction, but those fucking load times are nearly game breaking. We'll see how things have settled after White March. Pt. 2.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Directs cut only changed a couple of map elements, touched up the graphics and added bad voice overs.

I finished Arizona last night and I didn't notice anything that made the writing better, the quests Better, the combat better, it's all still the same mediocre bland post-apocalyptic experience.

Directs cut only changed a couple of map elements, touched up the graphics and added bad voice overs.

I finished Arizona last night and I didn't notice anything that made the writing better, the quests Better, the combat better, it's all still the same mediocre bland post-apocalyptic experience.

That patch list doesn't really agree with that assessment. I'm also looking at a list of Quirks that say progression has to be different.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That patch list doesn't really agree with that assessment. I'm also looking at a list of Quirks that say progression has to be different.

Perks and Quirks are an interesting system, the quirks you only choose at character creation, none of them are worth it and you might as well not choose any, then every few level you get a perk, i think i had 7 on my main character by the end of Arizona, he is a pistol user, which means 3 or 4 perks amount to a 4% chance that a single pistol shot wont use AP's and one where i get %hit as i focus fire, on top of that i added one for carry weight and for waster consumption.

Know what all that amounted to? little, i didnt make any significant impact in how i played my characters compared to vanilla, on the difficulty of encounters.

The experience, the content is mostly the same, maybe LA changes a few more things.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Get both. Both are good games and both are steps towards incline. I prefer WL2 due to TB combat but enjoyed PoE too.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Perks and Quirks are an interesting system, the quirks you only choose at character creation, none of them are worth it and you might as well not choose any, then every few level you get a perk, i think i had 7 on my main character by the end of Arizona, he is a pistol user, which means 3 or 4 perks amount to a 4% chance that a single pistol shot wont use AP's and one where i get %hit as i focus fire, on top of that i added one for carry weight and for waster consumption.

Know what all that amounted to? little, i didnt make any significant impact in how i played my characters compared to vanilla, on the difficulty of encounters.

The experience, the content is mostly the same, maybe LA changes a few more things.
Apart from Quirks and Perks there are a lot of quality of life improvements, especially the character screens and right click Actions come to mind.
Also after the last patch the game is finally mostly bug free, even script-wise.
Generally WL2 DC with the last patch is how the game should've been all along. A really good game now, close up there with the classics.

"None of them are worth it", not true, just look at the people on the Wasteland 2 forums who actually know what they're talking about, some are greatly useful, but what's more important is that many change the way you play, which you complain about the perks not doing.
Opportunist, Two pump chump, and Brittle Bones are good quirks that can change how you use your characters.

The most dramatically different character I've built however was with Raised in the Circus, blades, leadership, charisma, luck, and speed. Made me a knife wielding butcher Clown with crazy high evasion and the taunt ability, which lowers the CtH of anyone he's near, pretty fun thematic build, dodging bullets like Jim Carry in The Mask, then gutting them with lucky criticals.

If you know a better game fell free to suggest it.
I think D:OS is better than PoE, personally.

Gord

Arcane
Generally WL2 DC with the last patch is how the game should've been all along. A really good game now, close up there with the classics.

Although I think that difficulty in Arizona got a bit screwed. On Ranger it's pretty easy most of the time, esp. if you buy weapons from this one travelling vendor...

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Although I think that difficulty in Arizona got a bit screwed. On Ranger it's pretty easy most of the time, esp. if you buy weapons from this one travelling vendor...
Yes Arizona did seem a bit easier but LA does seem deadlier than before. Especially the CotC for me, they inflict some serious pain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom