Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Wasteland 2 or PoE?

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Lhynn

Arcane
That's p. gentle. Though people say it gets better (tm)
Well, maybe because my expectations were rock bottom, but i found the combat decent, miles better than it was at the beta. Weapons feel pretty distinct tho i kind of hate the treatement energy weapons get, they basically feel like a witchers silver blade. Why they couldnt go for the objectively superior fallout armor system is a mystary.

The writing is engaging enough that i dont question it, and i really like the environments. Also a lot of decent encounters. I liked navigating AG center after i got back too late to save it, the plants that would explode if you got too close were a nice touch, as were the big zombies that would explode on kill. Made my blade character a bitch to use tho.

The quests so far are simplistic as fuck and not very interesting, but they arent outright offensive either and it shows that a lot went into the game, a lot of what i dont know, and i feel that it was somewhat misguided, but i apretiate the effort.

Character system isnt completely shit, tho i may be biased because its classeless. and leveling feels like you are making progress.

duanth123

Arcane
That's p. gentle. Though people say it gets better (tm)
Well, maybe because my expectations were rock bottom, but i found the combat decent, miles better than it was at the beta. Weapons feel pretty distinct tho i kind of hate the treatement energy weapons get, they basically feel like a witchers silver blade. Why they couldnt go for the objectively superior fallout armor system is a mystary.

The writing is engaging enough that i dont question it, and i really like the environments. Also a lot of decent encounters. I liked navigating AG center after i got back too late to save it, the plants that would explode if you got too close were a nice touch, as were the big zombies that would explode on kill. Made my blade character a bitch to use tho.

The quests so far are simplistic as fuck and not very interesting, but they arent outright offensive either and it shows that a lot went into the game, a lot of what i dont know, and i feel that it was somewhat misguided, but i apretiate the effort.

Character system isnt completely shit, tho i may be biased because its classeless. and leveling feels like you are making progress.

How people play WL2 I'll never know.

It is one of the few games that had me contemplating my own mortality after glancing at the Steam you've played bar...

HotSnack

Cipher
I had a lot of fun playing WL2DC. Granted I only got around to playing the game once the DC came out. So I probably had the benefit of playing a vastly improved game if some of the comments here are to go by, without the fatigue of having to retread through the game. Like others I went into the game expecting something similar to fallout, but I think what I got felt more like a mashup between fallout 2/jagged alliance 2, which I'm ok with. My biggest gripe with the game is that it just it has too many dumb jokes and unsubtle references.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Deep Ocean is describing the unpatched vanilla versions of POE and Wasteland2, and hes exaggerating.
I didn't play the patched versions but what really annoyed me to the point of giving up with both games can't be fixed by patchs.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I've been thinking about Wasteland 2 and why it made me so tired. I would be an hypocrite if I said I only like games with the best most perfect combat systems having liked Arcanum and Wasteland 2 isn't the worse RPG I ever played but there is something to it that is just tiresome. I guess that the biggest issue is the pacing, if you look to Fallout 1, you see a gradual introduction to the setting by make you interested by mostly relaxed exploration of Vault 13 then you go to Shady Sands, Junk Town then the Hub in order of size.

If Fallout 1 was built like Wasteland 2 was, you would be sent to shady sands that was being attacked by a huge generic raider gang and you would shoot, shoot and shoot some more then you would go to Junktown where you would fight generic robots attacking Junktown and you would shoot, shoot and shoot some more then you finaly reach the Hub that is being attacked too and you would shoot and shoot some more and the Master would have radio transmissions where he childshly taunts the vault dweller instead of building up in secrecy. The setting of Wasteland 2 let implied that the rangers sometimes work as some kind of mediators of conflicts, I would be far happier if all that generic combat against generic raiders, generic robots and generic monsters had some proper and interesting context because, honestly, by halfway through I started feeling I was wasting my time and I don't think the DC edition fixed any of this. If InXile ever makes Wasteland 3, more areas like the Titan Canyon and less areas like Damonta, please.

HotSnack

Cipher
I've been thinking about Wasteland 2 and why it made me so tired. I would be an hypocrite if I said I only like games with the best most perfect combat systems having liked Arcanum and Wasteland 2 isn't the worse RPG I ever played but there is something to it that is just tiresome. I guess that the biggest issue is the pacing, if you look to Fallout 1, you see a gradual introduction to the setting by make you interested by mostly relaxed exploration of Vault 13 then you go to Shady Sands, Junk Town then the Hub in order of size.

If Fallout 1 was built like Wasteland 2 was, you would be sent to shady sands that was being attacked by a huge generic raider gang and you would shoot, shoot and shoot some more then you would go to Junktown where you would fight generic robots attacking Junktown and you would shoot, shoot and shoot some more then you finaly reach the Hub that is being attacked too and you would shoot and shoot some more and the Master would have radio transmissions where he childshly taunts the vault dweller instead of building up in secrecy. The setting of Wasteland 2 let implied that the rangers sometimes work as some kind of mediators of conflicts, I would be far happier if all that generic combat against generic raiders, generic robots and generic monsters had some proper and interesting context because, honestly, by halfway through I started feeling I was wasting my time and I don't think the DC edition fixed any of this. If InXile ever makes Wasteland 3, more areas like the Titan Canyon and less areas like Damonta, please.
Actually you just reminded me why I liked some of the zanier aspects of WL2DC. Things like the Wreckers reminded me of the Freakshow in City of Heroes, and the robots in the 2nd half of the game made me think of the robots you fight in Freedom Force. Both of these games I have a soft spot for. So yeah I think I'm more okay with their certain campyness and the frequency of the "save town X from monster X" scenarios. Though I can see how it might annoy some people who wanted more world building.

SniperHF

Arcane

I agree with some of those complaints about pacing, especially related to some of the combat slogs. But Wl2 is a sequel after all. If you look at WL1, with the constraints of 1988 granted, it does more gradually introduce the game. The sameyness of all your actions could have been better broken up though for sure.

Also just the gameplay design didn't really have enough in its bag of tricks to make for more interesting exploration based gameplay. It relies too heavily upon the click stuff with skills > Watch Animation/Icon > Success/Fail lather rinse repeat situation. There are times where C&C is used to actually impact how quests play out but those are really the only two things you do outside of combat. The situations where there are puzzles or item interactions are few and far between. And especially regarding items as most of the time they only impact small optional content.

the Master would have radio transmissions where he childshly taunts the vault dweller instead of building up in secrecy

Well that would fit the WL universe pretty well :lol:. I have no problem with Wastelands style in that regard.

Lhynn

Arcane
How people play WL2 I'll never know.

It is one of the few games that had me contemplating my own mortality after glancing at the Steam you've played bar...
Its a lot better than PoE, at least the directors cut is. Combat is better than i thought it would be, it makes me actually think of the best approach and the results are vastly different if i do things correctly. It may not be JA2 but its decent. So far it lacks interesting locales and quests tho, its just combat after combat after combat. It would be a much closer comparison to fallout tactics, has better combat but worse encounter design.

Ive yet to reach LA, where its said encounter design and level design improves a lot.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I think the quest design is quite good. Its fairly nonlinear, has c&c, feels well integrated in the story and gameworld, has its charme in writing.
Yes its combat heavy most of the time, but i think thats the approach to the game.

This is no Fallout sequel, its a Wasteland sequel. And wasteland was combat heavy...

Lhynn

Arcane
Branching and non linear doesnt automatically mean good, half the time i dont give a shit what im doing. But combat keeps me playing.

imweasel

Wasteland 2.

PoE is so bad that I couldn't even force myself to finish it. Not even with a six pack.

Nahel

Arcane
Play POE for the first 10 mn. Your enjoyement will only decline after. So play Wasteland 2 I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom