Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Wasteland 2 or PoE?

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Kem0sabe

Arcane
"None of them are worth it", not true, just look at the people on the Wasteland 2 forums who actually know what they're talking about, some are greatly useful, but what's more important is that many change the way you play, which you complain about the perks not doing.
Opportunist, Two pump chump, and Brittle Bones are good quirks that can change how you use your characters.

The most dramatically different character I've built however was with Raised in the Circus, blades, leadership, charisma, luck, and speed. Made me a knife wielding butcher Clown with crazy high evasion and the taunt ability, which lowers the CtH of anyone he's near, pretty fun thematic build, dodging bullets like Jim Carry in The Mask, then gutting them with lucky criticals.

I think D:OS is better than PoE, personally.

Worth it in the sense that the combat is such a banal, boring, easy affair that with or without perks you will steam roll through every encounter.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Apart from Quirks and Perks there are a lot of quality of life improvements, especially the character screens and right click Actions come to mind.
Also after the last patch the game is finally mostly bug free, even script-wise.
Generally WL2 DC with the last patch is how the game should've been all along. A really good game now, close up there with the classics.

The UI improvements are good, but when you still have to go through those long skill use animations/timers, when you still have the map littered with 3 different types of unlockable containers, skills are still a pain in the ass to use.

Darkzone

Arcane
I think that the result here is very interesting. It seems that most people here prefer WL2 over PoE.

Nael

Arcane
I think that the result here is very interesting. It seems that most people here prefer WL2 over PoE.

Why are you surprised? PoE is one of the blandest, most boring games ever conceived. Wasteland 2 isn't perfect but at least its a lot of fun.

Worth it in the sense that the combat is such a banal, boring, easy affair that with or without perks you will steam roll through every encounter.
Nah, there are plenty of challenging encounters in the game, of course given the options and diversity in where you can go, how you're prepared and what kind of party you've made there's obviously varying experiences. But overall, with Ranger difficulty, there's a fine level of challenge, neither unfair nor too easy. I can't tell you whether or not it's actually fun or not, but it is for me, so the whole "These interesting new features do nothing" actually means, "I don't care what they add to the gameplay because I hate it at it's core anyway".

Doktor Best

Arcane
If you grind Arizona until youre lvl 28 then ofcourse the game will be sort of trivial. I went to LA with lvl 20-22, so thats a different story. That encounter with the stolen cows was simply impossible for me to survive when i started it through conversation, so i had to give up the map marker the synth gives me for the base and suckerpunch them from behind.

Also the game gets much harder if you dont take the perfect setup with you and do stupid stuff like having 2x energy weapons and pistol as weapon skills.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If you grind Arizona until youre lvl 28 then ofcourse the game will be sort of trivial. I went to LA with lvl 20-22, so thats a different story. That encounter with the stolen cows was simply impossible for me to survive when i started it through conversation, so i had to give up the map marker the synth gives me for the base and suckerpunch them from behind.

Also the game gets much harder if you dont take the perfect setup with you and do stupid stuff like having 2x energy weapons and pistol as weapon skills.

Poor weapon balance doesnt make for a difficulty mode, it shouldnt be harder to run around with other weapon types beyond sniper and assault rifle. As soon as i understood that unless there are very specific circumstances in an encounter, i should have everyone with assault rifles and a single sniper, then ranger difficulty was ridiculously easy.

Poor weapon balance doesnt make for a difficulty mode, it shouldnt be harder to run around with other weapon types beyond sniper and assault rifle. As soon as i understood that unless there are very specific circumstances in an encounter, i should have everyone with assault rifles and a single sniper, then ranger difficulty was ridiculously easy.

I think it absolutely should be harder if you make 4 melee characters or 4 pistol wielders or some other extrme. I've found that balance was always the key that worked well for me. (Including NPCs): 1 Sniper Doctor/medic, 1 Leader SMGer, 1 Rifleman doctor/medic, 1 pistoler techie/thief, 1 blunt melee, 1 shotgunner.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Well Fallout kinda handles it the same way as laser/small guns is the "easy" mode in that game. And if you think it was too easy, why didnt you switch to supreme jerk?

I dont think Wasteland 2 DC is on Jagged Alliance 2 or XCOM ironman level in terms of difficulty, but it most certainly is hard enough atleast for my taste. Coming from the game right now where synths chewed me out when they attacked Rodia.

If you want to see a game that is too easy, play Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Go play WL2.DC on Surpeme Jerk with ONLY 4 rangers and no companions AND NO OP builds, and then tell me about how easy it is.

Shit is hard, yo. Especially in L.A. Difficulty gets ramped way the fuck up.

I just don't see what people see in Shadowrun games. The character system and combat are beyond shallow, and there's not any exploration or interactivity in the world.

Combat is quite shallow, but still fun. There is no exploration or interactivity, but a great writing, great atmosphere and great setting. Do you know an RPG which is not flawed?

Wizfall

Cipher
Wasteland 2 is great and very in line with old school cRPG design.
If you like old school cRPG i just don't understand how you could not like it, really a blast to the past (not as good as Fallout 1/2 though but these 2 games ware so much better than anything else)
Don't get the few people complaining about the writing that i find always interesting too read. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the setting which is much less "crazy" that i feared to the point i like it best than Fallout setting now (i'm extremely tired by the Vault, Enclave, NCR a,d BoS thing though, Fallout setting did not improve IMO).

I just had not fun to playing PoE, nothing is trully bad but the game is very bland and unsurprising in term of location/exploration/loots/everything in fact.
Dialogues without being awful are boring to read.
I drop playing the game quite early after the big city (boring city it was)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Lol wasteland 2 is literal garbage made by amateurs pressed in bite and bytes.

By Underrail or POE instead.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
In combat and writing

D:OS has better combat (more tacticool with elemental and enviromental magical interactions), but worse writing than the other two. It's very *silly* *camper*, but I heard the writing was brushed up for the Enhanced Edition (the one you should get if you play it anyway).

Well, unless you don't like RtwP combat, which is PoE's case as an Infinity engine game clone.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think PoE is the better game in most respects, but I've lasted longer on WL2 so take that as you will.

However I might try PoE again when it gets a complete version or something.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny how Wasteland 2 had these whacky really sci fi factions like Mathias's cyborgs and the crazy nuke cult along with the run of the mill post apocalyptic filler but manages to be so much fitting than reusing the various factions from Fallout, they also seem to less cartoony somehow too
I really like Wasteland 2 a lot, and even though the combat is kind of simplistic the perks and quirks make you adapt your gameplay to them; two gun chump of a sniper is very efficient to start off with some headshots or crippling those granade chucking enemies

Ninjerk

Arcane
Underrail, Battle Brothers, Serpent in the Staglands

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom