Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

what was the last *great* RPG??

hivemind

so there have been a lot of mediocre to shit big name RPGs released in recent time and a fair share of mediocre to okay indies but what would you say was the last RPG that could, by merit, count as equal, in some ways at least, to the great names of antiquity ?

I'm thinking maybe Alpha Protocol is the last great

what about you??

stuff like AoD and Underrail doesn't count because they are still in Early Access

Notorious

Augur
The codex unanimously agrees... Pillars of Eternity... the last *great* RPG.

But I agree before that the last *great* RPG was definitely Alpha Protocol no doubt.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
If you have such standards, then like 3/4th of recent releases.

Alpha Protocol was shit, is shit and will be shit.

Dialogue was good, imo. the only fully successful implementation of dialogue wheel, but the rest of the game is just bad.
It may be decent as the Role Playing, but the Game part is just so fucking bad and every time I think of playing it, my hair get longer, I get massively obese, I'm loosing my dick and start to call myself "Hamburger Helper".

hivemind

Dialogue was good, imo. the only fully successful implementation of dialogue wheel, but the rest of the game is just bad.
It may be decent as the Role Playing, but the Game part is just so fucking bad and every time I think of playing it, my hair get longer, I get massively obese, I'm loosing my dick and start to call myself "Hamburger Helper".
so literally planescape torment ?

retard

Paul_cz

Arcane
Witcher 3
New Vegas before that
Bloodlines before that
Gothic 2 before that

Divinity, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Eternity are all pretty good too

GloomFrost

Arcane
so literally planescape torment ?

retard

Ha nice one! I always wonder if people that hate AP even played it.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Gonna get endless hate for this....Witcher 1, it is the last sizable budget CRPG that was made by people who were clearly gamers (20 million dollars if I remember correctly). I appreciate that it tried to create a mechanical identity to go with Geralt's character such as the alchemy system or having just 3 silver swords the entire game (2 of which can be missed if you aren't careful) to reflect their rarity. All of the parts that make up this game can be harshly criticized as they rightly should be and I don't blame anybody if they couldn't get past the Outskirts but CD Projekt put their heart and soul (and livelihoods) into this product...and it shows in all its janky glory, they didn't play it safe at all. (Just like arcanum or planescape who aren't by any stretch perfect games).

I appreciate Alpha Protocol's effort to innovate in certain directions relating to dialogue and while it is certainly a must play for designers in my opinion it lacked the "better than the sum of its parts" feeling.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Gonna get endless hate for this....Witcher 1, it is last sizable budget rpg that was made by gamers. (20 million dollars if I remember correctly). I appreciate that it tried to a mechanical identity to go with Geralt's character such as the alchemy system or having just 3 silver swords the entire game (2 of which can be missed if you aren't careful) to reflect their rarity. All of the parts that make up this game can be harshly criticized as they rightly should be and I don't blame anybody if they couldn't get past the Outskirts but CD Projekt put their heart and soul (and livelihoods) into this product...and it shows in all its janky glory, they didn't play it safe at all. (Just like arcanum or planescape who aren't by any stretch perfect games).

I appreciate Alpha Protocol's effort to innovate in certain directions relating to dialogue and while it is certainly a must play for designers in my opinion it lacked the "better than the sum of it parts' feeling.

I'd agree with you didnt cdproject release their masterpiece this year, which is maybe lacking the underdog charme, but still is a better game in most aspects.

So Witcher 3 it is for me. Story, characters, dialogue, C&C, questdesign, worldbuilding etc usw. All that so fucking good, all that with so much level of detail, so much appearant love to the game. On the contrary is some bad AI which leads to mediocre combat and some shameful levelgating which i didnt expect from cdproject. But seriously, a storydriven rpg with bad combat? Who gives a fuck?

iLkRehp

Literate
'Great' is subjective, but I'd put Divinity: Original Sin into that category.

Over the last 18 months we've had a bunch of 'decent' to 'good' indie RPGs that trump 1 'great' one IMO.

pippin

Nov 17, 2004, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

There have been worthwile games after Bloodlines, but I think this game marked the end of a certain way to make games, especially rpgs. After that, all games are certainly "tainted" by modern design philosophies. Even games I like, like The WItcher or New Vegas.

Drowed

Arcane
Witcher 3 is really fun, and I mean it. I spent like 40 hours in it already, and I can see this time going up for the next weeks/months. I even think that it's a great *game*. But a great RPG, well, I'm not so sure about that. I guess it really is. I think deep down I still hoped to point out some other game, as we had so many kickstarters games released lately, but...

Pillars was fun. (More fun than Baldur's Gate 2 for me, deal with it.) But I couldn't call it "great". I would say it was "adequate".
Shadowrun games... Same case here, fun games, but not *that* good.
D:OS? Great combat and funny - and very charming too. But the mid-late game was kinda "meh". If the "expanded version" can maintain the quality that the game had in the first map during the whole thing... Definitely.
Wasteland 2, didn't play it yet (waiting for the perks). But doesn't looks like it.
Dead State? Yeah, right.

bloodlover

Arcane
VTMB is my pick. Yeah sure The Witcher games are cool, as well as New Vegas but I would not really call them great when compared to the old stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom