Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

what was the last *great* RPG??

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dafuq is all this Alpha Protocol shit? Y'all best be trollin'. Alpha Protocol is utter shit.

Risen 2 is more of an RPG than that shit.

bloodlover

Arcane
I am quite surprised of all the new names mentioned here. It seems we moved away from being grumpy old men bitching about decline (and cry about every new game ever according to some dude on Bioware forum if I remember) and started to appreciate new things as well. :salute: A very important aspect can also be seen here: there is a "great" game once every couple of years and this is amazing given the state of RPGs in recent history.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I am quite surprised of all the new names mentioned here. It seems we moved away from being grumpy old men bitching about decline (and cry about every new game ever according to some dude on Bioware forum if I remember) and started to appreciate new things as well. :salute: A very important aspect can also be seen here: there is a "great" game once every couple of years and this is amazing given the state of RPGs in recent history.

no its just clueless newfags that keep mentioning them

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The answer is probably none. No game in recent times comes close to the greatness of the top 1-3(5) cRPGs from times of old.

Did some of 'em come close, although being quite flawed? Yeah sure.

The newest being: Underrail (yeah I know it's EA, but it plays like a complete game already)

And some recently released cRPGs, like:

Wasteland 2 (It has/had a lot of problems, but it gave it a fair shot)
Pillars of Eternity (Again, a good effort, but the end result is still lacking in departments of story and encounter design/combat e.g.)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall (Also a fairly decent cRPG, despite also having numerous flaws or just missing stuff)

We had Fallout:New Vegas which was decent, albeit not being top-down turnbased
We had NWN: Mask of the betrayer
We had the KOTOR games
We had Vampire: Bloodlines

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I hope that I will never have so few games in my list to play that I could consider playing Alpha Protocol.

Jarakka

Learned
1485.gif

Alright alright.

It seems like after the Witcher all RPGs have become "morally grey", especially the fantasy ones, and are all about making tough complicated decisions that have far-reaching effects on the world. edgy.

Could be Witcher, could be just ASOIAF, I don't know. But it feels like all the mainstream RPGs are definately moving into a direction where things have to be "mature" in some way. Are they really mature, probably not, but that's what they try to come off as.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom