Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

what was the last *great* RPG??

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
xYnesBV.jpg

Sorry boys!

Sizzle

Arcane
Here's my $0.02 of all the stuff that I've played recently and not-so-recently:

~ Pillars of Eternity is good, but it's still missing that little bit of something to propel it to greatness (lame ass encounter design, bad loot, writing inconsistency, take your pick). Here's hoping that the expansion pack will improve it. Maybe.

~ Divinity: Original Sin - interesting combat, but the writing is simply bad (Larian doesn't really excel at writing, but usually it's at least funny. Here, it's just skippable).

~ Shadowrun - Dragonfall - not bad at all, especially enhanced with the Director's Cut. Wouldn't call it *great*, but it's very enjoyable.

~ Wasteland 2 - very old-school, both the good and the bad. I can definitely see the appeal, but the gameplay is too much of a chore for me.

~ Dead State - far too ambitious for its own good. The good bits (and there are many) are almost cancelled out by all the bad. Pity, it definitely had cult-hit potential.

~ M&M X - a fine blobber and an interesting molding of the old with the new. Would like to see more of these "AA1/2" productions. Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

~ South Park - Stick of Truth - irreverent fun. Far too easy, but it did capture the charm of the show. Basically, it's like a really long episode from one of the older (less crappy) seasons. Kinda sad that there wasn't at least a DLC or two.

~ Deus Ex: HR - not a big FPS fan, but it was alright. Not as good as Deus Ex 1, of course, but definitely a step in the right direction.

~ Fallout: New Vegas - fantastic faction mechanics. Unfortunately, it's bogged down by the engine. The DLCs were also good, especially Old World Blues.

~ Skyrim - better than Oblivion, worse than Morrowind.

~ Drakensang - The River of Time - worth at least a playthrough. From what I gather, it's like a less epic, better written Draknesang 1.

~ Risen 1 - reminded me of Gothic II (NoTR). Basically the same formula, just not as good as the Gothics (well, 1 and 2 at least). Still, not bad, not bad at all.

~ Alpha Protocol - love the concept, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

~ Dungeon Siege III - better than the first two. Which, admittedly, isn't saying much.

~ Mass Effect 2 - pulpy space opera that's at it's best when it's just goofing around. The last BioWare game I enjoyed.

~ Dragon Age: Origins - for everything it does right, it does (at least) 2 things wrong. I often wonder what it would have been like if they stuck to the original draft.

~ Divinity II - liked it more than D:OS. The combat wasn't anything to write home about, but unlike D:OS I actually had fun exploring the game world, and was looking forward to the dialogues and quests.

~ NWN 2 - the OC is a mixed bag of almost great to practically abysmal, but, as everyone here already knows, the real reason to buy it is for MoTB.

~ KoTOR II: TSL - while it improved on every aspect of KoTOR I, it featured had crappy combat, and quite a few boring areas. It's still a brilliant deconstruction of the SW universe.

~ VTM: Bloodlines - the first part of the game is a masterpiece - vampire politics, an intriguing world with great quests, stellar voice-acting and writing. Unfortunately the actiony combat and dreadful end-game prevent it from being a legend it rightfully should have been.

While I'm certain I'm missing some of the stuff I've played, I suppose the last truly *great* CRPG was Arcanum. Nothing after it could be placed in the same league, even though some came close - VTMB, MoTB, F:NV are excellent games, but they all have elements that drag them down - either bad engines, or combat systems.

I have high hopes for Age of Decadence, Underrail, Torment: ToN and the PoE expansions/sequel, I genuinely think that some of them can, if not surpass the old legends, then at least become the next basis of quality upon which all new(er) games shall be judged.

Here's hoping.

Inspectah

Savant
Temple of Elemental Evil - Could be tedious at times, and quests could be pretty stupid, but it had the best combat system of any DnD game

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Most people consider The Witcher 3 to be an RPG. And it's one of the best games I've played in my life.

So, I'll say Witcher 3.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
xYnesBV.jpg

Sorry boys!

That's a bit excessive considering what two games came before it (that were practically siblings). New Vegas is more like the red headed stepchild for a drug induced incest relationship (the whole design screams: "I don't want to be like this!")

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
While I'm certain I'm missing some of the stuff I've played, I suppose the last truly *great* CRPG was Arcanum. Nothing after it could be placed in the same league, even though some came close - VTMB, MoTB, F:NV are excellent games, but they all have elements that drag them down - either bad engines, or combat systems.

Feels like you're spitting out the usual Codex consensus. I don't get any of this especially - never found that Arcanum was a good game except on paper. It has interesting quest design and reactivity, but the world and narration are entirely forgettable. Not talking about the combat system either, or the general clunkiness of the gameplay. Can you say with a straight face that you *enjoyed* this game more than, say, the tactical combat of JA2, or the narration of MoTB? What does it do that is so enjoyable? Shit always feel forced to me ; yes the design of this game is interesting, but that is all. This is the same case with AoD pretty much ; it is a good game on paper, but I don't see many getting excited about it as they play the damn thing.

I say this because in the end I pretty much agree with everything you wrote on these other games, but I don't have a lick of enthusiasm regarding Arcanum.

If I have to answer the initial question, I'm going to get linched but whatever - I'll say the Witcher 3. Fucking enjoyed that game. I recognize everything that is wrong with the gameplay, but holy shit if it wasn't cool. I don't rationalise my enjoyment of video games enough to care about justifying myself, unfortunately.

never found that Arcanum was a good game except on paper.

If I have to answer the initial question, I'm going to get linched but whatever - I'll say the Witcher 3. Fucking enjoyed that game.
:D
That seems about right. You can get over terrible writing, cheesy dialogue, forced edginess, and the general stupidity of the witcher 3, for what? Brilliant character system? Probably not, diverse set of skills that don't equal to the kind of shit you'd get in DA:I? hell no, character creation? Nope.
Obviously it's that voiced protagonist, popamole combat, and high definition tits that does it, how engaging.
The best part is that your criticism of Arcanum is pretty much undefined outside of bombarding them with questions that you yourself say you won't answer: "I don't rationalise my enjoyment of video games enough to care about justifying myself, unfortunately." :roll:

Arcanum had phenomenal character creation, a character system with depth, unbalanced or not, a unique and interesting steampunk fantasy world, lots of non combat skills and different playstyles/routes and interactions to try based on them, it also had a decent(muh) atmosphere imo.

The witcher 3 is just edgy Dragon Age, it's main appeal is it's interactive story/cut-scenes.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Terrible writing? Are you daft? Even most codexers, who hate the popamole combat style of the Witcher, admire the writing. It blows almost every top 50 codex crpg out of the water and is the first game id consider to reach up and come close to planescape. Saying that Witcher 3 has terrible writing is almost as stupid as saying Jagged Alliance 2 has a bad combat system.

I mean i dig the effort you put into edginess and all, but the butthurt because someone dared to critisize your beloved arcanum is very obvious, so it kinda comes across forced.

Snufkin

Augur

Arcanum combat system sux. Still good game. As for last great RPG i would say KoTC.

DemonKing

Arcane
I've only just started Witcher 3 so can't comment on that although I'm mostly enjoying it so far.

The most recent CRPGs I've really enjoyed have been M&MX, Legend of Grimrock and Blackguards. All games that took classic CRPG elements and updated them just enough to make them seem fresh.

Eddas

Learned
I've only just started Witcher 3 so can't comment on that although I'm mostly enjoying it so far.

The most recent CRPGs I've really enjoyed have been M&MX, Legend of Grimrock and Blackguards. All games that took classic CRPG elements and updated them just enough to make them seem fresh.
Grimrock 1 or 2? If you played the first one, play the second too. It's even better, it expands the awesomeness of the first one in every aspect.

DemonKing

Arcane
Grimrock 1 or 2? If you played the first one, play the second too. It's even better, it expands the awesomeness of the first one in every aspect.

I actually preferred the first one - I think the "interconnected world" model suited M&MX better. In Grimrock 1 there was a tangible sense of progress as you headed further into the depths but Gimrock 2 lack of linearity actually didn't support the underlying game mechanics that well. Also some of the puzzles were even more esoteric than those in the original IMO. Not saying it wasn't good, I just preferred the first one.

Eddas

Learned
I actually preferred the first one - I think the "interconnected world" model suited M&MX better. In Grimrock 1 there was a tangible sense of progress as you headed further into the depths but Gimrock 2 lack of linearity actually didn't support the underlying game mechanics that well. Also some of the puzzles were even more esoteric than those in the original IMO. Not saying it wasn't good, I just preferred the first one.

Very good points. I think I just got more entertained by the variety in scenarios and by being constantly lost in the world (it's a thing for me).

Jarakka

Learned
Looks like the thread should've been titled "The most recent CRPG you finished and liked".

Shouldn't a great game differ from a good or a very good game by not just being good, but also by having a huge impact on it's own genre?

That's at least what comes to my mind when I think of a *great* game. After Doom, FPS as a genre changed, because the game had such a huge influence at it's time. Or Rogue, a game so influential it created a new genre of rogue-likes. And when it comes to CRPGs, like it or not, the influence of Baldur's Gate can still be felt in the CRPGs made today. After BG, it was clear that TB was dead and real time was the way of the future.

So with that in mind, I guess Witcher could be the closest to a *great* RPG? It seems like after the Witcher all RPGs have become "morally grey", especially the fantasy ones, and are all about making tough complicated decisions that have far-reaching effects on the world.

Sòren

Arcane
Witcher 3. havent enjoyed a game so much since Fallout 1/2

Feels like you're spitting out the usual Codex consensus. I don't get any of this especially - never found that Arcanum was a good game except on paper. It has interesting quest design and reactivity, but the world and narration are entirely forgettable. Not talking about the combat system either, or the general clunkiness of the gameplay. Can you say with a straight face that you *enjoyed* this game more than, say, the tactical combat of JA2, or the narration of MoTB? What does it do that is so enjoyable? Shit always feel forced to me ; yes the design of this game is interesting, but that is all. This is the same case with AoD pretty much ; it is a good game on paper, but I don't see many getting excited about it as they play the damn thing.

i agree, even though liked the story and world of Arcanum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom