Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
573989.jpg

From the new Karazhan PTR.

Looking forward to another round of "ruined my childhood!" and "It has women, is AMAZING!" melodrama.

Deleted member 7219

Was looking at some info on the Artifact fishing pole which you apparently level up by catching fish. Found this tidbit:

Correct, it takes 5526 rare fish total to max your artifact.

World of Grindcraft. While I enjoy the fact they're pushing the story of Warcraft forward (it's been a few expansions of side-stuff with Pandaria and Fake Draenor)

Mists of Pandaria was a good expansion, I thought. Gorgeous new landmass, amazing soundtrack, and the Alliance/Horde War that restarted in Cataclysm continues in MoP. Plus, it ends with an Old God. That's pretty good stuff for the Warcraft lore.

Warlords of Draenor was shit from a lore standpoint, I agree. It was frustrating to basically repeat stuff we've seen before. Nothing new happens. I completed the original 90-100 content and then quit, but I don't see any point going back and doing any of the post-release content for that expansion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pandaria was garbage. The failed introduction of scenarios took away from five man content. Also hate asian-themed stuff. WoW is better off with standard euro-medieval genre mixed with some steampunk. Only good part about it was the Isle of Thunder and later the more finely tuned Timeless Isle which became the blueprint for WoD and Legion leveling zones. Had no issue with the lore of WoD from the standpoint that it was cool to see the WC2 era orcs and Draenor was solid. Much preferred the aesthetics and story to the shallow Taoism Pandarian crap. Yes, the whole time/dimensional travel stuff was awful, yes garrisons were awful but the aesthetics and quests were fine. My gripe about not advancing the story had more to do with the narrative coming to a standstill once Deathwing was killed. The Horde civil war only served to push Garrosh into wacky time travel which only served to push Gul'Dan into more wacky time travel. As if they had planned this stuff five years in advance and wanted some way to pad out expansion content because they were running out of bad guys.

Legion is very different. It's as if they are 'all in' after the relative failure of WoD. The Legion is back in full force and signs points to Sargeras making an appearance in some form or another. They finally do the Emerald Dream raid and deal with Xavius/The Nightmare. The final old god on Azeroth, N'zoth, has slowly been pushed through their other games (Hearthstone, HoTS) and will seemingly make some kind of appearance. Azshara (who is technically a servant of N'Zoth) shows up in a quest for the first time in WoW (not counting that shitty throwaway seasonal quest from several years ago) and most of the quests in Azsuna point to her making an appearance in a mid-expansion raid. Piggybacking on the release of the Chronicles book the Titans are explored in depth and revealed to be dead. Naruu are everywhere. The Exodar will be 'going home' (to Argus). Even Elune makes an appearance in a cinematic to 'carry' the slain Ysera to the Emerald Dream or whatever. Nothing subtle going on here -- shit is happening. More shit than has happened since Wrath. Probably the most in-depth lore dump since the game started.

Makes me think something happened the last year or so at Blizzard. You tie this massive lore-dump expansion with the subsequent (almost immediate) departure of Metzen and three or four other lead designers and you get the feeling these guys just put it all on the table and said they're done. I expect the following expansions to be pretty awful as they're out of content.

Caim

Arcane
Pandaria was shit, Cataclysm was the last time WoW was good.
Cataclysm was shit, WotLK was the last time WoW was good.
WotLK was shit, BC was the last time WoW was good.
BC was shit, Vanilla was the last time WoW was good.
WoW was shit, Frozen Throne was the last time Warcraft was good.
Frozen Throne was shit, Warcraft III was the last time Warcraft was good.
Warcraft III was shit, Warcraft II was the last time Warcraft was good.
Warcraft II was shit, Warcraft was the only good Warcraft.
Warcraft was shit, Warhammer is far better than its ripoff.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
WotLK = TBC = Vanilla >>>Legion>>>>>>>>>Cataclysm>>WoD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pandaria.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If what you're saying about the lore is true, maybe this is intended to be the last major expansion. I wouldn't be surprised if they had another MMO in the works planned for a few years from now, with the biggest hype period and closed beta timed right when Legion's final content patch has been out for a while and the expansion is dying down. Meanwhile they do something transitory for WoW, maybe some kind of mini-expansion or even a remastering of Vanilla to try and bring back the old crowd, which could help further funnel people to check out the new MMO when it launches.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the big announcement as Blizzcon this year. World of Diablo, perhaps?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I suppose it's possible. Not necessarily pulling the plug on WoW but diverting resources elsewhere. They could always make more crap up as they go along but, as I mentioned, this expansion is tying up a lot of plot arcs that were teased since Vanilla. Emerald Dream: for years people thought it might be a full expansion. Art assets existing in the client since original beta and now the storyline is done. There isn't much else you can do with Emerald Dream as a location or plot device that wouldn't be totally contrived and shallow. They absolutely HAVE to produce Avatar of Sargeras or something similarly menacing as the final raid boss. Repeating Kil'jaeden after repeating Archimonde would be beyond terrible. And then what... the next expansion is going to Argus? That would be three Legion expansions in a row. One of the less douche-y YouTube guys postulated that gathering the Titan relics is an old god trick and while it would banish the Legion it would also release N'Zoth and perhaps another event like the Cataclysm would occur. They could revamp zones and possibly bring the level scaling to the entire world. You tuck away TBC, Wrath, Pandaria, and WoD into a side dimension of sorts, allowing players to experience it if they want but making it unnecessary for leveling 1-115/20/whatever.

Wulfstand

Prophet
World of Starcraft would be pretty great in theory, I don't know how current Blizzard would handle it. A reskinned WoW or even a reskinned Planetside can have the potential to be something really really good.

I'm mostly against flying mounts unless the world designers create something similar to Storm Peaks. Otherwise, no thanks.

Pandaria has been a great leveling experience for me, if I were to rate it solely based on my time questin from 80 to 85, it'd definitely take the 3rd place, after Wrath and TBC. Came in expecting pandas and more Cata shenanigans, got both in smaller doses than was expected, stayed for Orcs vs Humans instead. I'd really, really like to play those 3 expansions with everything scaled to my level.
If they ever decide to implement some form of scaling, say, in 10-15 level brackets for 3-4 areas, then they should definitely also implement some form of anti-Heirlooms that also scales your XP-gain. That way, people who've already done the leveling content throughout the years can still spam rdf, and people who haven't, and want to level via quests, can actually have fun doing them.

I still don't know if I prefer having to spend weeks to get to level cap in order to start raiding, or having to spend (fewer) weeks to get to ilvl 850.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
If what you're saying about the lore is true, maybe this is intended to be the last major expansion. I wouldn't be surprised if they had another MMO in the works planned for a few years from now, with the biggest hype period and closed beta timed right when Legion's final content patch has been out for a while and the expansion is dying down. Meanwhile they do something transitory for WoW, maybe some kind of mini-expansion or even a remastering of Vanilla to try and bring back the old crowd, which could help further funnel people to check out the new MMO when it launches.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the big announcement as Blizzcon this year. World of Diablo, perhaps?
I would kill for Warcraft 4. It would be decline as fuck, but I would pray for another RTS to hold me over.

Also, I think Blizzard is done with MMOs. Similar to RTS games, I believe the moment has passed for MMOs. If anything, I expect another Diablo or Overwatch-esque game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It wouldn't be an MMO in the vein of WoW -- and even that has gone pseudo free-to-play with the token system. Well, not F2P but like the Guild Wars model. Any new 'MMO' from Blizzard would probably be completely F2P with minimal effort put into content making, microtransactions up the butt, and a heavy emphasis on marketing/e-sports. Just like Hearthstone, HoTS, and Overwatch.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
FUCK I want to love this game but it SUCKS!

Lvls 1-109 are like.. IDK incentive to buy a leveling token? You literally follow quest markers and 1-shot mobs for however many hours. WHO FINDS THIS FUN?!?!?

Then you get to 110 and and realize that everybody outgears EVERYTHING except the latest mythic raid. So.. You run some dungeons and everyone just chain pulls the whole fucking dungeon and it's over in 10 minutes. Just like levels 1-109 you mindlessly 1-shot everything and follow quest compasses for about 100 hours to get geared so you can actually take on challenging content. So you spend 99.9% of your time in game mindlessly 1-shotting everything and then you raid current tier once or twice before you outgear current tier, 1-shot everything in that, and wait for the next content patch?

IDK guys I'm finally coming to the conclusion that this game just caters to a different crowd. I enjoy spending a few hours slowly moving through a dungeon, wiping, learning mechanics, using CC, etc.. and I don't give a fuck about gear drops or anything. The challenge of the dungeon is what should be fun, not the reward.

BUT I think that everyone who plays this game only cares about getting one extra ilvl point or getting a legendary drop ASAP. Blizz would save a LOT of money if they just deleted everything in the game and replaced the world with a button that you press and every 10,000 times you press the button some special effect fills the screen and it says "YOU'VE GAINED 2 ILVLs!!!!".

Diablo 3 has the same exact problem BTW but hey, if that's what the people really want just follow the $$$ I guess.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Try Everquest Project 1999? Or a vanilla/TBC server, I guess, there are no good TBC servers though. Modern WoW has been awful since Cata, probably even WotLK.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Try Everquest Project 1999? Or a vanilla/TBC server, I guess, there are no good TBC servers though. Modern WoW has been awful since Cata, probably even WotLK.

I don't think the population is really there for those servers unfortunately. Don't really want to play solo and I feel pretty sketchy about even trying private servers because they could just get shut down at any time :/.

It'd be sick if Blizz did legacy realms but I don't think that's gonna happen. Maybe I just need to start doing things with people IRL instead, idk.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The populations are pretty healthy in both Project 1999 and private servers (at least a certain one I'm playing on), so finding people to play with is no problem at all. Whether they are going to shut it down or not is anyone's guess, but since it's free it's kinda whatever. Don't count on Legacy servers, it won't happen and I agree with Blizzard's position to not do them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Lvls 1-109 are like.. IDK incentive to buy a leveling token? You literally follow quest markers and 1-shot mobs for however many hours. WHO FINDS THIS FUN?!?!?

Then you get to 110 and and realize that everybody outgears EVERYTHING except the latest mythic raid. So.. You run some dungeons and everyone just chain pulls the whole fucking dungeon and it's over in 10 minutes. Just like levels 1-109 you mindlessly 1-shot everything and follow quest compasses for about 100 hours to get geared so you can actually take on challenging content. So you spend 99.9% of your time in game mindlessly 1-shotting everything and then you raid current tier once or twice before you outgear current tier, 1-shot everything in that, and wait for the next content patch?

IDK guys I'm finally coming to the conclusion that this game just caters to a different crowd. I enjoy spending a few hours slowly moving through a dungeon, wiping, learning mechanics, using CC, etc.. and I don't give a fuck about gear drops or anything. The challenge of the dungeon is what should be fun, not the reward.

BUT I think that everyone who plays this game only cares about getting one extra ilvl point or getting a legendary drop ASAP. Blizz would save a LOT of money if they just deleted everything in the game and replaced the world with a button that you press and every 10,000 times you press the button some special effect fills the screen and it says "YOU'VE GAINED 2 ILVLs!!!!".

Diablo 3 has the same exact problem BTW but hey, if that's what the people really want just follow the $$$ I guess.
Legion is pointless unless you're in a high tier raiding guild or know a group of friends who can farm Mythic+++++++++++++++++ dungeons. Leveling takes no time at all and world quests get boring after about a week.

Wulfstand

Prophet

Which classes allow you to stomp on 100+ mobs like you can with the <100 ones? Even while playing a Fire mage, I still found the Legion combat during leveling to feel alright, with questing gear equipped. Then again I never used any of my followers as guards. You also should start doing mythic+, if difficulty's what you're looking after. Kharazhan is also coming back on the 25th with 7.1, as a partial revamp (the 2nd half of the instance is new/redone), and it'll be a 5man heroic dungeon that's supposed to take a minimum of 2 hours to complete. Personally, I'm really looking forward to Kara, as I'm not much of a fan of most of Legion's dungeons (I actually enjoyed more my time Timewalking through TBC instances than through a number of Legion's). Trials of Valor too, mainly because I really enjoyed Helheim (and most of Stormheim, for that matter). Minimum trash, straight to the business. I still need to get into a guild though.

KKKodex 5man guild when? We can still form one cross-servers, right?

I really hate the time-gated class hall missions, and how it forces you to go through those 5 missions questchains that last about 12 hours each. Also, fuck Legendaries and the whole rng system. Now that they've got rid of the main guy behind the Diablo-esque rng, why aren't they modifying the system itself as well?

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I resubbed, and I am enjoying myself for now. Warlock is in an interesting place. I think the talent choices are far better than they have been in the past. In my opinion, there are actual trade offs between talents for once (Backdraft vs. Roaring blaze, Reverse Entropy vs. Cataclysm, level 100 row, etc). With the relic system, you can reinforce your build up to a point (enhance immolate vs. chaosbolt, etc). For once in a long time, I actually enjoy planning my character build in WoW. I do not know what the other classes are like, but I think Warlock have a decent talent selection (just ignore affliction).

With that said, I am worried about gearing in mythic dungeons. I hear it is extremely hard to get an invite as some classes, which includes warlock. Also, I need to decide what alt to level, or what to use my 100 boost on.

What class are you playing? I thought the difficulty finally picked up a little around 108-110 in terms of mob health/damage. Prior to that, I blew through with mobs on a destruction warlock.

Last edited:

Revenant

If you play on Europe, feel free to add me on B.tag (Revenant#2836) if you have problems grouping, I'll tank or heal and there are other Codexers interested in Mythic(+) progression. You need to play on the same realm to form a Codexian guild, but we can group up from all realms if we all play Horde.

Puukko

Arcane
I play an outlaw rogue, currently at 862 with the legendary wrists. I'm in the same casual babby guild I've always been and I'd have it no other way, we're doing EN normal, going to try HC today for the first time. I'be been focusing on M+ myself, would like to get a +7 done this week, and Karazhan is now out (and it's actually challenging) and Trial of Valor will be out in 2 weeks, so I'd say we're set as far as content goes. I'm going to start leveling my monk now and whereas I originally planned on going with MW, I'm now 50/50 between MW and BrM. I'll level her as BrM and see how it goes, chances are I'll have both specs, but I kind of do need to pick a main spec. I've never played a proper tank, just some feral shenanigans in TBC, and my healing experience is limited to a holy priest in LK.

Outlaw is bottom half for EN now but I am honestly quite happy with the spec. Getting 1 bad buff 6 times in a row while starved for energy does happen sometimes but you can get quite far with just -CD or +crit. We have good cleave for M+ and I pull very competitive overall dps in those. The wrists brought extra variety to my rotation and I stun annoying trash easily. You typically get 6 buffs once per long M+ but it's always exciting when it happens. Got it at the bat stairs on BRH+6 today which was a great spot for the buff.

I don't have legendary research completed yet but if I do get those boots that increase my Run Through dmg by my speed boost %, my rotation will get pretty funny since I'll have to start using sprint as a dps CD and drop my beloved grappling hook.

I also love the defensive utility I have. I can emergency tank with riposte and technically, if I managed to get 6 buffs at the right time, I could pull riposte off 4 times in a row which should be enough time to clear any trash pack that might have killed your tank. And if shit goes south and cheat death triggers, just vanish.

Last edited:

flabbyjack

Arcane
I have a level 9,000 hobgoblin warlord with an overhand-underhand ratio of almost 5%!

He is specced for crumble-mancy and can do over 9 quadrillion damage per mana point. He wears blue ultra epic boots with a little bell on the end that I bought on ebay.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I play an outlaw rogue, currently at 862 with the legendary wrists. I'm in the same casual babby guild I've always been and I'd have it no other way, we're doing EN normal, going to try HC today for the first time. I'be been focusing on M+ myself, would like to get a +7 done this week, and Karazhan is now out (and it's actually challenging) and Trial of Valor will be out in 2 weeks, so I'd say we're set as far as content goes. I'm going to start leveling my monk now and whereas I originally planned on going with MW, I'm now 50/50 between MW and BrM. I'll level her as BrM and see how it goes, chances are I'll have both specs, but I kind of do need to pick a main spec. I've never played a proper tank, just some feral shenanigans in TBC, and my healing experience is limited to a holy priest in LK.

Outlaw is bottom half for EN now but I am honestly quite happy with the spec. Getting 1 bad buff 6 times in a row while starved for energy does happen sometimes but you can get quite far with just -CD or +crit. We have good cleave for M+ and I pull very competitive overall dps in those. The wrists brought extra variety to my rotation and I stun annoying trash easily. You typically get 6 buffs once per long M+ but it's always exciting when it happens. Got it at the bat stairs on BRH+6 today which was a great spot for the buff.

I don't have legendary research completed yet but if I do get those boots that increase my Run Through dmg by my speed boost %, my rotation will get pretty funny since I'll have to start using sprint as a dps CD and drop my beloved grappling hook.

I also love the defensive utility I have. I can emergency tank with riposte and technically, if I managed to get 6 buffs at the right time, I could pull riposte off 4 times in a row which should be enough time to clear any trash pack that might have killed your tank. And if shit goes south and cheat death triggers, just vanish.

I also liked outlaw, but sadly it was nerfed to death by the retarded balancing team (while buffing nr1 damagedealer shadowpriest even further and refusing to nerf firemage because quote "mages might get sad"). I switched over to assassination and im pretty much leading the DPS-race in our guild now. Will improve even further when i get the cookiecutter legendaries (only got the aoe cloak so far).

But i'm glad you enjoy the specc, hopefully outlaw will get its spot in the sunlight again after they've come to the conclusion that they finally need a classbalancing team that is worth more than 2 rotten potatoes.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane

I also liked outlaw, but sadly it was nerfed to death by the retarded balancing team (while buffing nr1 damagedealer shadowpriest even further and refusing to nerf firemage because quote "mages might get sad"). I switched over to assassination and im pretty much leading the DPS-race in our guild now. Will improve even further when i get the cookiecutter legendaries (only got the aoe cloak so far).

But i'm glad you enjoy the specc, hopefully outlaw will get its spot in the sunlight again after they've come to the conclusion that they finally need a classbalancing team that is worth more than 2 rotten potatoes.
I finished Karazhan today and beat 2 HC raiders that were a bit above me in ilevel, an spriest and a fire mage, in overall damage done. I was comfortably ahead of the fire mage and the spriest seemed to be slacking, because he had some 220k average dps for the whole run while I had 310k.

Puukko

Arcane
Unsurprisingly, we didn't beat the timer on our Vault+7 run. The group was fine but volcanic fucked our healer over a few times and Inspector Tormentorum is annoying enough as it is. But hey, fat weekly chest loot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom