Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's with all these new boards?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
DarkUnderlord said:
Boy I'm glad you said that because I was just about to remind everyone of this little ditty.

First of all, that was in General Discussion, whis is the forum for retarded crap. Second of all it was funny to a few people. Third, it was even relevant because I am sure very few knew about a guy called "Van Buren". If you get annoyed at that thread you might as well kick KC out of the office. I would be happy if you turned your immediate attention to terrible posters - and if you think that includes me, at least have the fucking decency to kick me out along with bottom of the barrel posters that do nothing but post shit day after day - Andhaira, DraQ, TWD, the list goes on and on.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Let's see... It's been 4 months. Yup, must be time for another "WOE IS THE CODEX" discussion.

Vault Dweller said:
JarlFrank said:
...but I doubt if it would work here on the Codex.
Why not? I mean, do we really need such insightful discussions as:

Even Warden feels comfortable enough to start new threads: "Roleplaying" bla bla bla.
Curious to know, you really think Warden's thread is that bad? Warden shouldn't be allowed to make new threads? His thread should've been Retardo'd before anyone got a chance to take it somewhere interesting? Actually, isn't insulting retards "what we're supposed to do"? I mean, the good ol' glory days when morons like that would be chewed up and spat out. Aren't we allowed to do that anymore?

Vault Dweller said:
Maybe you disagree, but at the very least I enjoy the Let's Play threads in the General RPG forums.
They are entertaining, but they are hardly something that could be associated with intelligent discussions.
I agree. Forums that have Let's Play threads are such unintelligent, backwater places.

Jasede said:
Disclaimer: I am not saying I am a good poster. Maybe I am even part of the problem.
Boy I'm glad you said that because I was just about to remind everyone of this little ditty.

EDIT: Damnit Jasede, you ruined my chance to add stuff to my post without looking like I'd gone back editing it so many times. God damn furry.

Jasede said:
DarkUnderlord said:
First of all, that was in General Discussion, whis is the forum for retarded crap.
Apparently not though. Apparently we're supposed to be nixing a lot more of that stuff. Double standards much?

Jasede said:
Second of all it was funny to a few people.
Okay, so threads that are "funny to a few people" get to be kept? Interesting. I thought the "funny" threads were the problem because this was a place for "sirius diskussion"?

Jasede said:
Third, it was even relevant because I am sure very few knew about a guy called "Van Buren". If you get annoyed at that thread you might as well kick KC out of the office.
Pretty sure it was KC who nixed it. Could be wrong though.

Jasede said:
I would be happy if you turned your immediate attention to terrible posters - and if you think that includes me, at least have the fucking decency to kick me out along with bottom of the barrel posters that do nothing but post shit day after day - Andhaira, DraQ, TWD, the list goes on and on.
Here's the thing, I don't. I've been around enough forums to know that it's the retards who start most of the discussion. Funny I know, but true. Most of the long-time posters rarely create discussion topics that get very far (something about intellectuals). Get a retard spouting crap though, and all of a sudden were on page 5 talking about the pros and cons of meta-gaming or whether what you're doing really is role-playing or not.

If we can handle Volourn, we can handle the rest of the retards that decide to frequent this place and hey, if they piss you off, just whinge about it. That's what the Codex is known for, after all. Whinging.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, funny and serious discussion can co-exist in peace as long as the posters are clever.

Look, Volourn is an exception. Heck, you might even respect his thick skin. What I miss is when people who didn't know much about RPGs or who were generally acting retarded got flamed so hard they stopped posting. The self-moderation. Maybe I am just misremembering it, but when I joined I was very afraid to post anything. That was because this place had niveau, standards. If you posted something dumb nobody would ever take you seriously again.

I miss that!

edit: just to clarify, DU - yes, nixing is good. But not in GD. Now that GD is off the frontpage, let it be a terrible bog. Who cares? Besides, it's fun from time to time. The nixing I advocated was for RPG Discussion/Design. I think it's a good approach to have a "silly" subforum (GD) and the serious RPG forums.

Lumpy

Arcane
Jasede said:
I am sure very few knew about a guy called "Van Buren".
There are people named Van Buren? Get the fuck out. Next you're going to come up with someone named Jefferson.

Hory

Erudite
I don't know, if someone was really called Van Buren, I'd imagine he'd look pretty funny. For example like this:
184px-Martin_Van_Buren.jpg

Fez

Erudite
Where did you think they got the name from? I'll give you a hint: Look up past politicians in America with that name.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Ooooh! I never knew there was someone called Van Buren. I always thought it's just a misspelling of "Van Braun" and never bothered to look it up.

edit: you can't blame me for not knowing something like that. Nobody here cares who was president or not in the USA, but it's nice to know. That Jefferson was a president should have tipped me off.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Never heard of that before. See? The Codex is a source of knowledge and enlightenment when it isn't busy flinging poo.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Jasede said:
No, funny and serious discussion can co-exist in peace as long as the posters are clever.
So you're a (self-confessed) clever posted, therefore your funny is allowed where-as someone who hasn't proven their RPG credentials can't post funny until they've proven their cleverness? Yeah, that road ain't a real road you actually get to drive on.

Jasede said:
What I miss is when people who didn't know much about RPGs or who were generally acting retarded got flamed so hard they stopped posting.
You mean like Sarvis and how he stopped posting? Oh wait...

Jasede said:
The self-moderation. Maybe I am just misremembering it, but when I joined I was very afraid to post anything. That was because this place had niveau, standards. If you posted something dumb nobody would ever take you seriously again.

I miss that!
All right, so who's taking Andhaira seriously? Come on, I want names!

Jasede said:
edit: just to clarify, DU - yes, nixing is good. But not in GD. Now that GD is off the frontpage, let it be a terrible bog. Who cares?
Well, apparently you do or VD does or someone does. Why else are we having this conversation?

Jasede said:
Besides, it's fun from time to time. The nixing I advocated was for RPG Discussion/Design. I think it's a good approach to have a "silly" subforum (GD) and the serious RPG forums.
As do I. Threads like World of Xeen should either be moved to GD or Retardo'd. The fact that is hasn't happened though, isn't some kind of crisis which requires 15 pages of discussion about why that thread is still alive. Hey, shit gets left behind sometimes. Deal. If it really is such an issue, PM the moderator of RPG Discussion. You'll take heart when you note that the moderator of the RPG forums isn't KC.

Jasede said:
I honestly never heard "Van Buren" used as a name; did you?
Now if you really knew RPGs, you'd know that Van Buren is a codename, used because it was the name of an American President, as was Jefferson (hence Project Jefferson).

EDIT: Learning is fun!

Fez

Erudite
Jasede said:
Ooooh! I never knew there was someone called Van Buren. I always thought it's just a misspelling of "Van Braun" and never bothered to look it up.

You think they named a series of projects after famous Nazis? :P

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I did know that, but I forgot. Well.
Learning is fun!
Still, I never claimed I make witty GD posts. I prolly don't. That's not the point. I just wish the good old times back because it's in my nature to long for things that are long past. Like Twinfalls. She added so much.

mahdi

Liturgist
What, you don't get Seinfeld in Germany? If so, surely you should have known who Van Buren was AND that he was the 8th president.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Hory said:
What can change the nature of a furry?
If you have me on ignore I would be glad if you actually ignored me.

And I heard Seinfeld is terrible; I never watched it. I always watched Married With Children.

My opinion is probably completely useless and/or trivial, but here goes.

Things have definitely been a little less than great when it comes to the Codex's discussion after VD was forced out. But it isn't because he was forced out, it was because things were already on a downward slope before hen. Blame it on whatever you want, the Oblivion debacle, the disappearance of "the good ol' boys", or the fact that supposedly every facet of RPGing has been discussed completely and totally to depth....

Whatever you believe started the downward spiral, what' happening because of it is pretty apparent. Stupid threads are being made, and their are some not so great contributors here now. VD wanted a solution, he wanted to take some more power to make his version of "a better Codex" by removing what he thought was bad. And whether or not you agree with that kind of idea, VD in general, or whatnot, I think it would be hard to deny that some sort of more strict moderation wouldn't at least be worth a shot. It's better than leaving things as is and hoping for things to sort themselves out, seeing as we don't have an "angry cunt squad" anymore, and I doubt a bunch of Nobel laureates will just decide to camp out the Codex and claim it as their new stomping grounds to balance things out.

Normally, I'm in the "FREEEEEEEDOOOOM!" crowd all the way, but I actually can't deny that ultra-forum-libertarianism might not work in the face of new "threats". Honestly, the "frontier of the internet" spirit might die a little, but it's better than the place degenerating into something no much better than say...the ESF or GameFAGs.

And of course, it might help for me to actually outline a plan of what to do, so I'll try that.

1. The Codex needs an active administrator, with the emphasis on active. At least showing up every other day and making their presence known would be sufficient for this, but being able to post, discuss, and write some articles would be quite nice as well. I sure wish we had someone like this around.....

2. The Codex needs more moderation. I know. The dreaded M-word. Why is this? Because a person will certainly be more encouraged to either get smarter or stop posting like an idiot when their dumb threads are instantly Retardo'd upon birth, instead of hitting page three or four, giving the schmuck undeserved attention. Do this by hiring on more moderators to the team, so that they can take care of any problems that arise anytime with the number one quality being active posters with some Codex "know-how". Give "mod powah" to the new newsposters, and some active members so there is a round the clock response available to any problem that arises.

3. Bring out the ban-stick. Yes, that. No longer can we give the undesirables a noose to hang themselves and then be on our merry way because they stick around now. Of course this could set a dangerous precedent and possibly be the chilling start of the Codex's descent into ESF-style dictatorship. So to counteract this, make sure the admins know what they are doing, and make the process as completely and totally "open" to the people as can be. No shady discussions in the staff forum, no PMs en masse; just make any accusation visible to the "forum public" and the accused. Anyways,the Codex has very rarely had to actually ban people, and you'd really need to be a total fucktard to get banned (assuming good admins of course), which pretty much means nothing will be lost.

And if things do go sour, we have a freedom fighter admin in DarkUnderlord to set things right and be like "I told you...."

End of incoherent gibberish....

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
edit: nevermind, I misread. (My post was: "freedom fighter admin? DU never does anything at all, at least nothing visible. He's like a ninja pirate." , but then I realized that's exactly what was meant).

sheek

Arbiter
Kingston said:
I do believe The Best Thread Ever should be retired. It was good when people posted gems, but nowadays all I see is the same old shit you see at any forum on any day. And there are only so many "Oblivion is the best crpg ever FACT" threads you can read before the fun runs out.

I still would like General Gaming to be fused in General Discussion. Most of the GG threads can get pretty retarded anyways, I mean if you are gonna make a thread about Halo, where does it go, General Gaming or General Discussion? General Gaming shows up on the front page, right? I can understand splitting RPG boards into many splendid different forms since this is the _RPG_Codex, but splitting gaming into different boards is a bit pointless. I can sorta get Strategy Gaming and Adventure Gaming because both genres have superb games and the first one is affiliated with Tacticular Cancer (best name ever), but general gaming will end up having a lot of retarded threads.
Exactly.

What will 'General Gaming' be good for? What will it bring, and why would you want one? There are a million 'general gaming' forums on the internet...

Also the reason why several posters are here is because of the that was created for off-topic bullshit. Example: Kingcomrade. How often does he post anything about RPGs? If you shut down General Discussion how long ago would he have left? By creating more 'space' you're allowing these people to find their 'niche', to fit into the 'community' encouraging them to live off it parasitically.

The trend at the moment is toward KCification of the entire Codex. (Note: KC himself isn't that bad all of the time - he's just representative of what's happening)

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Okay, so let me try and understand the position you guys want here:
  1. KC isn't the problem, he's just "representative of the problem".
  2. You want us to ban people who are annoying and yet people like Twinfalls, Volourn, Andhaira and so on who are or were known for being annoying (or are "representative of the problem"), shouldn't be banned.
  3. In fact, you want us to ban people but not people like KC or Volourn, who you say are only "representative" of the problem, yet you can't seem to name anyone who actually "is" the problem. Instead, you continually mention, refer to and complain about KC.
  4. You say the "retards" are being taken "too seriously", while at the same time, everyone's making Andhaira rat jokes.
  5. Threads like "Let's play" are "interesting" but don't lead to "serious discussion". You therefore hate them but don't want us to actually do anything about them, and would likely complain if we did. So you want to be allowed to complain about them being there, without us acting on those complaints.
  6. You don't want forums like "General Gaming" because it's going to induce an influx of retards.
  7. You don't want forums like "Sirius RPG Design Diskussion goes here k?" because it's not going to attract "serious people", instead preferring everything was left where it was.
  8. You want us to moderate the forums but only the "unfunny stuff", which surprisingly, doesn't include that hilariously unfunny thread you yourself just created.
  9. You think the stuff in General Discussion is funny and that that's what GD should be kept for, while at the same time you want to be allowed to whinge about it.
Honestly? I think you guys don't have a fucking clue about what you want.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Maybe you shouldn't take posts by different members with different opinions and group them into "you" so that you can make a list of contradictory statements as if they were made by the same collective mind.

Cos its not exactly a great arguement.

Fez

Erudite
Someone please change the title of "Gemeral Discussion" before too many people notice it. :lol:

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Kingston said:
Maybe you shouldn't take posts by different members with different opinions and group them into "you" so that you can make a list of contradictory statements as if they were made by the same collective mind.

Cos its not exactly a great arguement.
Precisely. Your Codex is not Sheek's Codex, it's not Edward_R_Murrow's Codex, it's not Jasede's Codex, it's not Vault_Dweller's Codex. Thing is though, you're all here whinging about "your Codex" not being "the way you want it". My problem? I seemingly have to molly-coddle the Codex into whatever Codex it is you individually want. I have to decide whether or not to ban KC, while I have one group of whingers wanting him banned and another group who only think he's "representative of the problem" and should be left. I've got people whinging about the "retarded threads" that keep cropping up, while they themselves go off and make another five of them. I've got people whinging about the lack of "serious discussion", while they themselves haven't posted anything more than a one liner in a long time, and sure as hell haven't taken part in any of the more recent half-decent conversations that have actually cropped up.

The reality? That despite everyone's whinging, you're all still here. So no, don't be surprised when I don't care about what the lot of you are saying. You're right, there is no consensus here. There is no "collective mind". There's just the regular handful of whingers swearing things used to be better "back in the good old days", you know, before they grew a pair of balls and got the courage to start posting half the crap they do these days. But don't ban them for it... Oh no, because that'd piss off someone else and add another 5 pages of pointless whinging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom