Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why so few superhero rpgs?

ColCol

Arcane
I mean seriously, I have a hankering for some superhero action. Yet, there are so few superhero rpgs available to play. This is especially strange with the appearance of Kick Starter.

*In before comments on how most rpgs make you feel like a superhero.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
2419662-8925703875-da2ot.gif

Mustawd

"Why so little _____ rpgs?" could be asked for literally anything. There's a huge a mount of possibilities, and all we usually get is:

1. Tolkien-esque (or at least inspired) fantasy
2. Apocalyptical wasteleand
3. Zombies/Vampires (same thing)
4. Cyberpunk
5. Steampunk
6. Sci Fi

One can find RPG/combat opportunities in tons of different settings, so it's kind of shocking that things like Superheros haven't been touched as much as the other ones. I think we had a similar thread about historical settings as well.

laclongquan

Arcane
When you say superhero games, devs think of making games for superhero fans, not broader audience. And the problem is that when you cater to THAT segment, the game doesnt have a damn shred of playability to the rest of gamers.

Noted the fabled Freedom Force. It sounds good on paper. It played like shit.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd rather would like to see an X-Com-esque game with the X-Men, the Watchmen or another superhero league. One would think this combo is a no-brainer. Is there anything on the market like this?

Edit: Ofcourse there is.

Norfleet

All RPGs are superhero RPGs. The only thing missing is the option to wear your underwear on the outside. Seriously, just imagine any RPG, but have all the partymembers wear their underwear on the outside. Bam, superhero RPG.

pippin

All RPGs are superhero RPGs. The only thing missing is the option to wear your underwear on the outside. Seriously, just imagine any RPG, but have all the partymembers wear their underwear on the outside. Bam, superhero RPG.

Considering the usual rpg wardrobe, especially when it comes to mages, I don't really know what's underwear and what's regular clothes anymore.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
When you say superhero games, devs think of making games for superhero fans, not broader audience. And the problem is that when you cater to THAT segment, the game doesnt have a damn shred of playability to the rest of gamers.

Noted the fabled Freedom Force. It sounds good on paper. It played like shit.
:x
Freedom force is awesome. It's a small unit tactical game though, not really an RPG.

laclongquan

Arcane
Like I said. it's awesome on paper. it read/sound awesome.

I really wanted to play it. I cant get into it. It lacks soul. it lacks proper qualification as a game.

Hell, Cities of Heroes play better than it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I mean seriously, I have a hankering for some superhero action. Yet, there are so few superhero rpgs available to play.

I agree, for many years I've wanted to play as Drizzt.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Night Watch?
Well, more of a strategy game.

What's so interesting about super-heroes? It sounds like that totally-working ideas for setting.
You know:
"We should set the game in 14th century middle-east, you'll play as Timur!"
And then normal person asked about naming country in the middle east says "Vietnam" and mistake Timur for Timon:
timon05.gif

I'm usually quite welcoming to different settings but the few super hero games we get feel forced. It's like the devs were so ashamed of making that kind of game that instead of making something completely over-the-top they copy scenario and villains from 80's action movie(but action movie without super heroes).

Zetor

Arcane
People seem to equate superhero games with fast-paced action, probably because POW! WHAM! ZZZZAP!

iirc, Superhero League of Hoboken was the only superhero game that tried to break the mold, and that's more of an adventure game with some RPG trappings. Since then there was Freedom Force (still one of the best RTWP games ever), City of Heroes (also great, despite being an MMO), Champions Online (meh, whatever), and Marvel Heroes (a sort of super-easy Diablo 2 with 40+ "classes"). There's also some DC universe MMO, I think?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Night Watch?
Well, more of a strategy game.

What's so interesting about super-heroes? It sounds like that totally-working ideas for setting.
You know:
"We should set the game in 14th century middle-east, you'll play as Timur!"
And then normal person asked about naming country in the middle east says "Vietnam" and mistake Timur for Timon:
timon05.gif

I'm usually quite welcoming to different settings but the few super hero games we get feel forced. It's like the devs were so ashamed of making that kind of game that instead of making something completely over-the-top they copy scenario and villains from 80's action movie(but action movie without super heroes).

I'd play the shit out of a Timon RPG

Shadenuat

Arcane
A good superhero RPG would require a ton of work and a very old school approach with Troika-level of character background generation and Obsidian dialogue trees. What would make a superhero RPG great would probably be an ability to generate character starting with his origin story which could be like Arcanum backgrounds but, a lot better would be if you could puzzle it together from multiple stories - how did you get powers, what types of enemies you hate, what other sups you like or have contact with, and who is your arch nemesis.
Then you'll have to give player an option of playing most sup archetypes by combining appearance and abilities, like in Freedom Force. In my opinion, linear mission based gameplay would not do, so I'd prefer my hero could roam around a sandbox, perhaps a limited one with main and side missions.
Top all that with everyone reacting to your hero appropriately to his origin story and choices you make like in V:TM and ending slides showing what happened to (probably, since most heroes seem to work in them) the City you worked in and for me it would be an ideal superhero sim. Very hard to make and feel right, not your casul Bioware dish.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Why so few superhero rpgs?
Because most of us are sophisticated gamers with good taste.

*is reminded of the last 15 years*

Uuuuuuh, I mean, I dunno.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
RPGs are about character building. There's nothing to build with super heroes, they already are what they are. The only super hero RPG you could make is a story fag one, which i doubt would be a particular popular choice among super hero fans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom