Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why so few superhero rpgs?

Norfleet

Norfleet there was city of villains.
I am not including MMOs in this, because MMOs are only titularly about anything, the actual theme of an MMO always goes straight out the window anyway. They also have this tendency to spontaneously cease existing, as is the case here. Since it does not exist, it never existed. It is an un-game now.

Keldryn

Arcane
Anyone remember that Champions CRPG that was in development in the mid 90s? The one that kept getting delayed again and again, and ultimately canceled.

Lhynn

Arcane
I am not including MMOs in this, because MMOs are only titularly about anything, the actual theme of an MMO always goes straight out the window anyway. They also have this tendency to spontaneously cease existing, as is the case here. Since it does not exist, it never existed. It is an un-game now.
Doubly retarded post, firstly, no, it kept the actual theme of the game and pushed it forward in new and innovative ways, with their original systems. Secondly fuck off with that un-game shit, it has a recorded history, it exist on hard drives, it was and still is relevant like any other game that tried something new and interesting. Attempts to revive it are being made even to this day, 1 project to emulate it, 2 different projects to create spiritual successors from their fanbase.

Norfleet

Doubly retarded post, firstly, no, it kept the actual theme of the game and pushed it forward in new and innovative ways, with their original systems.
I have not found this to be actually true in any themed MMO-like I have ever played. The theme is a hook to pull in an audience. The game itself quickly diverges from the theme. Even if we give it a pass because it technically qualifies...

Secondly fuck off with that un-game shit, it has a recorded history, it exist on hard drives, it was and still is relevant like any other game that tried something new and interesting. Attempts to revive it are being made even to this day, 1 project to emulate it, 2 different projects to create spiritual successors from their fanbase.
I cannot help but notice that of those, zero of them have produced anything other than vaporware. Hey, I miss some old, defunct MMO-things also. The fact remains that they do not exist, and as such, never existed, and are un-games now, mere phantoms of the mind like every other piece of vaporware.

Lhynn

Arcane
Doubly retarded post, firstly, no, it kept the actual theme of the game and pushed it forward in new and innovative ways, with their original systems.
I have not found this to be actually true in any themed MMO-like I have ever played. The theme is a hook to pull in an audience. The game itself quickly diverges from the theme. Even if we give it a pass because it technically qualifies...
Well, now you know why i kept this one in high regard.

Secondly fuck off with that un-game shit, it has a recorded history, it exist on hard drives, it was and still is relevant like any other game that tried something new and interesting. Attempts to revive it are being made even to this day, 1 project to emulate it, 2 different projects to create spiritual successors from their fanbase.
I cannot help but notice that of those, zero of them have produced anything other than vaporware. Hey, I miss some old, defunct MMO-things also. The fact remains that they do not exist, and as such, never existed, and are un-games now, mere phantoms of the mind like every other piece of vaporware.

So everquest is an un-game? fact remains that while the game itself may not be accessible at the moment, its documentation is, and it is relevant with the subject at hand, so not bringing it up is more of a crime when discussing systems and their implementation. Especially in such a small subgenre.

Norfleet

So everquest is an un-game? fact remains that while the game itself may not be accessible at the moment, its documentation is, and it is relevant with the subject at hand, so not bringing it up is more of a crime when discussing systems and their implementation. Especially in such a small subgenre.
Nah, I'm pretty sure there are private servers of that. Besides, is it actually dead, or just down?

Lhynn

Arcane
Nah, I'm pretty sure there are private servers of that. Besides, is it actually dead, or just down?
https://www.everquest.com/home

was brought back a while ago, along with other mmos that died, i think they are bringing back DaoC too.

Telengard

Arcane
Not sure about a superheroes and RPGs, but judging from laclongquan's and Telengard's posts supertards and forums certainly do go hand in hand with each other. :retarded:
As the manager of this new superhero game, you can:

Ignore the people (like me) who bring up monetary issues about your cool ideas, who are asking where all the money is going to come from to pay for all these new design elements that don't add any new aspects to primary gameplay. Of course, by ignoring them the game will now be on unstable financial footing.

Ignore the people (like Lyric Suite) who actually know how a story is put together. Of course, by ignoring them, now your story will suck.

Ignore the over a hundred superhero games that have been made since the 80s. Of course, by ignoring them that will make you an ahistorical twat who makes the exact same mistakes that they did.

However, by ignoring all those people, you will be making yet another epic financial disaster - yet another media tie-in game that cost a boatload of money to make and had terrible sales. And then, like all of the manager tards before you, you can blame the disaster on the people who warned you, since it obviously wasn't your cool ideas that sunk this ship.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
JKsDCgV.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom