Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildstar - Next NCSoft MMORPG

Xenich

Cipher
Old/Vanilla WoW was fun because it was challenging. Everything today is piss easy/modeled after New WoW with heavily scripted quests and dungeons you can faceroll.

Yep, it is killing gaming in general. I went back with a friend to try EQ2 since the FTP change, to really see what has "changed". They have dumbed the game down so much that there is no point to gear/spell upgrades (we were duoing group dungeons 8-10 levels above us without effort), which means there is no point in crafting, no point in anything as it concerns character development and ultimately, no point in playing (we cancelled pretty quickly due to it being boring pointless shit).

John_Blazze

Augur
I know why they dumb down everything lately, but I wonder whats the reason for teh fucking easy mode. I can understand relasing easy single player games, but MMOs?
The reason for relasing MMO with a monthly fee is the allure of constant stream of jewgold. If you make the content easy, people will solo trough everything in less than a "free" month and quit, as we've seen numerous times already.
No need to group up to beat certain parts of the game, thus no bonds with other players are made. No need to keep trying to progress, because you progress instantly if you're the appropriate level for the content.
So no need to stick around.
Games upon games failed by being easy and short and they still cant learn shit.

It's like they don't really like money.

Avellion

Erudite
Old/Vanilla WoW was fun because it was challenging. Everything today is piss easy/modeled after New WoW with heavily scripted quests and dungeons you can faceroll.

Yep, it is killing gaming in general. I went back with a friend to try EQ2 since the FTP change, to really see what has "changed". They have dumbed the game down so much that there is no point to gear/spell upgrades (we were duoing group dungeons 8-10 levels above us without effort), which means there is no point in crafting, no point in anything as it concerns character development and ultimately, no point in playing (we cancelled pretty quickly due to it being boring pointless shit).
Seriously?!?

Isn't one of the biggest reasons WoW is losing subscirbers because you can clear most of the content on Launch day? Which in turn results in massive content droughts... compared to say Vanilla or TBC where most players would not be doing stuff like Black Temple, or Naxxramas.

Why cant the at least they compromise the lack of difficulty by doing one of the following.

1. Levelling zones with different difficulty levels, say... at level 35-40 you have access to 2 different zones, with one zone being harder than the other but also yields better rewards. Would be nice seeing zones in the overworld that is almost specificly designed for grouping.
  2. Servers with different difficulty settings.
  3. Dungeons designed for different player skill levels. Some will be designed so that they can be done half asleep, others are designed to provide players with a true challenge with mobs that not only hit hard, and have more complex mechanics, but also may appear in larger numbers.
What we get now is that everything is balanced around the same bog standard, so even Timmy the inbred mouth breather can do the "hardest" content in the game. When everyone can do it said content loses its mystique, its exclusivity, its sense of being a club, and players have no motivation to work hard when everything is handed to them on a silver platter. Timmy will probably whine because he can't fight the big bad, but you dont have to listen to him, he will probably play regardless and if you dont give in to his whining. He may even get enough motivation and skill to finally get there.

Xenich

Cipher

Seriously?!?

Isn't one of the biggest reasons WoW is losing subscirbers because you can clear most of the content on Launch day? Which in turn results in massive content droughts... compared to say Vanilla or TBC where most players would not be doing stuff like Black Temple, or Naxxramas.

Why cant the at least they compromise the lack of difficulty by doing one of the following.

1. Levelling zones with different difficulty levels, say... at level 35-40 you have access to 2 different zones, with one zone being harder than the other but also yields better rewards. Would be nice seeing zones in the overworld that is almost specificly designed for grouping.
  2. Servers with different difficulty settings.
  3. Dungeons designed for different player skill levels. Some will be designed so that they can be done half asleep, others are designed to provide players with a true challenge with mobs that not only hit hard, and have more complex mechanics, but also may appear in larger numbers.
What we get now is that everything is balanced around the same bog standard, so even Timmy the inbred mouth breather can do the "hardest" content in the game. When everyone can do it said content loses its mystique, its exclusivity, its sense of being a club, and players have no motivation to work hard when everything is handed to them on a silver platter. Timmy will probably whine because he can't fight the big bad, but you dont have to listen to him, he will probably play regardless and if you dont give in to his whining. He may even get enough motivation and skill to finally get there.

They have in some games. Rift on release had difficulty levels on dungeons allowing people to play them according to their ability. It didn't work because people threw tantrums about it being "elitist" and "discriminatory". Be it a complaint about better loot or even something as stupid as claiming "alienation" of players, putting in content as such doesn't work. Heck, even a company making a niche game specifically for difficult play and being advertised as such is met with waves of complaints and demands for the game to be dumb'd down. Personally, I think MMOs are doomed to failure as the crowds they keep catering to are fickle and will end up being a losing venture.

Direwolf

Arcane
Horrible game judging from the current beta. I can't figure out what kind of vision they have for this game. The tutorial is vaguely big-budget with long voiced in-game cutscenes, but there's no spoken quest texts and and everything is presented in tiny floating speech bubbles that scream "skip me!" pretty loudly. Tutorial gameplay is truly horrible, I honestly never played anything so bad in a Western MMO before. It gets a little better late, but nowhere near good.

The "paths" are just boring fluff, "you can be a settler" seems to equate to "you can summon mail boxes and stores for people once every 10 minutes if you click on 300 environmental objects first". Quests are the usual toddler-level stuff - either "kill x of y" or "right click on these twenty highlighted items".

Combat feels like a budget version of GW2 with less versatily and variety (!). Engineer core gameplay is "backpedal while channelling cone attack", Esper (Mesmer ripoff) is "stand still while channelling cone attack". Later you get instant cone attacks. I couldn't bear to try melee, but I can't see how it would be fun with this combat system.

The skill system is basically identical to TOR et.al., only that the skill trees don't look like trees. Work the same way though.

And this is a June release? Subscription based? This is going to set a new sub-to-F2P record.

Still better than ESO, but then again shits I take every morning are all better that ESO.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
TESO's skill system is roughly fifty times more versatile than this.

Emily

Arcane
So the game can now be pre-ordered. The game will not however come with a Collectors edition by the looks of it.

However it will still come with a more money than common sense digital deluxe edition for 75 US dollars.

That was honestly unbearable, i couldnt even take it for one minute. It seems aimed at literal retards, and 3-4 year children, with most lame,cringe inducing,toxic bad "humor" (or whatever it is supposed to be)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It seems aimed at literal retards, and 3-4 year children, with most lame,cringe inducing,toxic bad "humor" (or whatever it is supposed to be)

So you're saying it might actually be the WoW killer?

Emily

Arcane
It seems aimed at literal retards, and 3-4 year children, with most lame,cringe inducing,toxic bad "humor" (or whatever it is supposed to be)

I dont remember WoW being like that at launch at all. It was mostly aimed at 18year old guys. It is true that even back then Blizzard started with "pop humor" but it wasn't as bad as it is now with kung fu Pandas, and everything having some stupid joke aimed at retarded children.
But this wildstar trailer just takes it to the next level of soulless, kiddy friendly, care bear central, normalfag tier.Forget about immersing I would be ashamed to even try this game after watching such a trailer

Xenich

Cipher

I dont remember WoW being like that at launch at all. It was mostly aimed at 18year old guys. It is true that even back then Blizzard started with "pop humor" but it wasn't as bad as it is now with kung fu Pandas, and everything having some stupid joke aimed at retarded children.
But this wildstar trailer just takes it to the next level of soulless, kiddy friendly, care bear central, normalfag tier.Forget about immersing I would be ashamed to even try this game after watching such a trailer

Well, from the clips that I have seen, I don't think of it as "kiddy friendly" as much as I see it as a homage to Animanics/Loony Toons.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Well, from the clips that I have seen, I don't think of it as "kiddy friendly" as much as I see it as a homage to Animanics/Loony Toons.
Well, from playing the beta, it's stupid humor that is nothing reminiscent to Looney Tunes. It's just over-the-top "pop humor" and generic sci-fi/western tropes.

And yes, my childhood was watching Looney Tunes when I had nothing else to do.

Rhalle

Magister

It's not gaming. It's like an interactive Universal Studios Tour in which a member of the audience is chosen to participate. You pay the entrance fee and then get spectacle with the illusion of doing something and virtual ego-stroking.

Bought it and started playing an Engi/Settler Chau during the beta weekend. This reminds me a lot of Allods Online with higher production values, especially the Empire faction. Replace realms with space and there you go.

Do like throwing up kiosks and repairing stuff though.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And yes, my childhood was watching Looney Tunes when I had nothing else to do.
what is wrong with looney tunes? classic cartoon as they come. it's not like cartoons haven't been in decline either.

edit: the game is shit obviously, i won't even waste a microsecond on it but now i have made this post so i am already behind in my schedule.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
got some beta keys for this weekend.
you'll need an account with ncsoft.

US keys:
DBDY-ENW6-US84-FS6R-WVV5
592D-L528-HEYT-74FM-HMHR

EU key:
LS3H-DVQR-9WTU-3A5T-ZS33

(region doesn't matter as I understand it, both will connect to NA during beta)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Only bother with this if you're really out of options.

imweasel

I registered for the beta in November and the fuckers finally sent me a beta key today. I guess they are going to stress test the servers now.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
got some beta keys for this weekend.
you'll need an account with ncsoft.

US keys:
DBDY-ENW6-US84-FS6R-WVV5
592D-L528-HEYT-74FM-HMHR

EU key:
LS3H-DVQR-9WTU-3A5T-ZS33

(region doesn't matter as I understand it, both will connect to NA during beta)

I registered the EU key, thanks. So these will work this weekend? Heard a lot of shit about the game, but curious about the humorous tone they are taking and the scifi setting.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah it starts tomorrow.

It has a nice sci-fi setting and so so humour. They are mostly triyng too hard to be funny but it has some charm, if you are into stuff like that I guess.
At least combat is good and gameplay is fast. Classes feel different from each other and exploring is good&rewarding.
Quests are same boring WoWish bullshit kill 10 of these,20 of those, get me 3 ear and 5 hearts and etc.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Is the exploration path interesting? on paper it is the path that most interests me.

At first tutotialish maps its a bit dissapointing but when you start some serious maps it gets good. Only explorers can open these paths but they remain open for everyone for a short time. There are some minor rewards for them like a rare boss or datacron/lore but some of them help all other players in that area. Like founding a good spot for snipers/artillery team of clearing a caves entrance which is full of mineral nodes or other collectiables.
There are also secrets that everyone can discover, like after digging for some mineral you reveal a secret passage with elite mobs and phat loot. These are limited to you and anyone in your party and mostly random.

Edit: Of course this is only about for first 2 big areas. We are not able to get past 20-25 and don't know if laters maps will stay the same. Most MMORPGs have good starting areas but later ares become shallow and empty as game progress...

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Is the exploration path interesting? on paper it is the path that most interests me.

At first tutotialish maps its a bit dissapointing but when you start some serious maps it gets good. Only explorers can open these paths but they remain open for everyone for a short time. There are some minor rewards for them like a rare boss or datacron/lore but some of them help all other players in that area. Like founding a good spot for snipers/artillery team of clearing a caves entrance which is full of mineral nodes or other collectiables.
There are also secrets that everyone can discover, like after digging for some mineral you reveal a secret passage with elite mobs and phat loot. These are limited to you and anyone in your party and mostly random.

Edit: Of course this is only about for first 2 big areas. We are not able to get past 20-25 and don't know if laters maps will stay the same. Most MMORPGs have good starting areas but later ares become shallow and empty as game progress...

Thanks,

If i would want to play a traditional healer, what class is more in line? and have you tried any of them?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
There isn't any traditional healer in this game :) You'll have to take aim a bit with you skills for powerfull heals and buffs.

I tried medic for healing and liked it very much, it has good are coverage both in terms of buffs and healing. Resource managment is a bit tricky and you(and most of the party) must always be on the move in dungeons to avoid high damage so it is easy to miss while healing. I enjoyed it a lot after years of being a healing turret in WoW and other similar MMORPGs.
IMHO medic is solid for group healing but has a low range on skills, spell slingers skills have longer range but smaller area effect(MT healer?)and last healer espers can't use most of its skills on the run so its a bit stationary. So it is up to your play style a bit.

Angthoron

Arcane
Got a beta key as well, was thinking to give some kind of DPS class a try.

Any good close combat classes that don't make you feel like a glasscannon? Or is it all about risk/reward? Any recommendations regarding the deeps classes?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Well, there are 2 melee classes and they both can tank with right skills and specs. And both have good avoidance or interrupt skills. If you want to be a brute with 2handed weapon go for warrior, if you want to be a sneaky bastard with pouncing ablities&claws go stalker. Stalker has good starting damage&utility from stealth, so he is one step ahead of warrior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom