Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xbox Scorpio will be most powerfull console sporting 6 teraflop GPU

ultimanecat

Arcane
Games look "decent enough" on modern consoles, but it's not because there's less overhead. They had the capability of low-to-mid range gaming PCs when they released, and the games have generally reflected that. Development is simply targeted toward that low benchmark - with the understanding that console gamers are apparently insensitive to sub 1080p (and occasionally sub HD) and/or dynamic resolutions, variable framerates, and slightly muddy textures or poor lighting. If we're lucky when it's brought to PC those sorts of issues are cleaned up, but that's generally all we are getting: the best possible version of a game designed to run on medium settings at 640p on the XBone.

sullynathan

Arcane
That's just an excuse incompetent devs like to throw around. It's not 1995 anymore.

The excuse doesn't even make sense since most console titles don't run at 60fps, and many have areas where the framerate dips below 30. If developing on consoles is easier, why can't they get it right?
Console devs are compromising. They target 60fps for multiplayer and 30fps for single player since they've realized that they can't have 60fps and ultra quality graphics. Some like NiOh, finally give the option for 30fps or 60fps.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The excuse doesn't even make sense since most console titles don't run at 60fps, and many have areas where the framerate dips below 30. If developing on consoles is easier, why can't they get it right?

Because optimization is not magic voodoo mojo that will make any game run on 1080/60. Consoles do have less overhead and are easier to optimize for, but you can only so much on a box that's equivalent of a 2007 mid-range PC. It's a small miracle that console games can even run 1080p in 30 fps on ~Medium settings, given what's inside.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Microsoft did hint Scorpio won't be a cheap console. Neither are they interested to bury Playstation. I think they just make another one to keep the brand alive and their development community busy. In profits terms, Xbox has been peanuts and MS is okay with that.

Peanuts is overstating it, creating Xbox brand has cost Microsoft 10 billion and they've never actually profited from it all in all. Why do you think there's regular news of stockholders wanting to get rid of Xbox franchice? :D

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Microsoft did hint Scorpio won't be a cheap console. Neither are they interested to bury Playstation. I think they just make another one to keep the brand alive and their development community busy. In profits terms, Xbox has been peanuts and MS is okay with that.

Peanuts is overstating it, creating Xbox brand has cost Microsoft 10 billion and they've never actually profited from it all in all. Why do you think there's regular news of stockholders wanting to get rid of Xbox franchice? :D

That's what I meant, peanuts compared to it's Windows, Office and .Net business. Xbox simply isn't that vital to MS.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Isn't 6 TFlops not that much of an improvement if you consider the law of diminishing returns that has hit computer graphics ?
I can hardly tell the difference between PS3 and PS4.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

That's what I meant, peanuts compared to it's Windows, Office and .Net business. Xbox simply isn't that vital to MS.

And it's not that unusual in these huge corporations. Google has spent last decade taking losses on everything except the search, and they don't really give a shit either. Search makes the money, everything else is to fulfill long-term strategic goals.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There is a noticeable difference in looks between early PS3/XBox 360 titles and the later ones (GTA5, The Last Of Us). This is because developers figured out the optimizations better. This has always been true, they even ported Quake2 to the PS1 at one point with lighting effects intact. This is on a console without Z-buffer, with 2mb of RAM and 33mhz CPU.

PS2 had FPS like "Black" (I believe) which had physics, and emulated shader effects without GPU shaders, etc.

Of course I suspect the more consoles become like PCs, the more complex their OS becomes, the more "features" they shove in there that nobody needs, the more plans they allow for the "PS4 PROS" and "XBOX NEOS" and various incremental upgrades, the more they develop the same thick abstraction layers between software and hardware as PC has, negating the inherent advantages of the console's direct pedal-to-the-metal approach.

A user named cat

Now that Forza is on PC, there isn't a reason in the world to bother with Xbox. Let it die. I've yet to even see a PS4 title worth buying the system for. Console gaming is dead. Nintendo handhelds are where all the good games are at with weaker hardware than a modern smartphone. What a world.

:Flash:

Arcane
Why would you name your new console after this car?
Ford-Scorpio-Ultima-Estate-For-Sale.jpg

sullynathan

Arcane
Now that Forza is on PC, there isn't a reason in the world to bother with Xbox. Let it die. I've yet to even see a PS4 title worth buying the system for. Console gaming is dead. Nintendo handhelds are where all the good games are at with weaker hardware than a modern smartphone. What a world.
The Last of Us (well its on PS3), Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, NiOh, Ratchet & Clank. In the future there is The Last Guardian, Horizon (I don't trust guerrilla, they only have one decent game but this one looks cool), possibly Final Fantasy remake.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Out of those, i only give a shit about Bloodborne and maybe NiOh. Still not enough to buy a whole console. Maybe if they remaster Demon Soul and Dark Soul 1 for PS4 i might consider it.

Yeah, the quality and integrity of their pockets.

A console with equivalent power to a mid/high range PC without any increase in price? One of three things here:

1) They managed to brake the laws of physics and developed a revolutionary GPU capable of crunching huge numbers that's very cheap to produce.

2) Microsoft is willing to cut profits in order to bury the PS4 and take control of the market.

3) They are lying through their teeth and this Scorpio shit will just be another peasant device that won't even remotely approach the power of a good PC.

Of course, it is going to be number three. Number two would be sort of interesting but Microsoft is neither that clever nor ballsy enough to pull such a stunt.
4) The Xbox One was vastly overpriced.

abija

Prophet
3 and 4 more likely. It will not match your core i5 with x70 (very likely not even a x60) or whatever amd equivalent there is out and as a bonus it will lose some resources upscaling to 4k while blooming/bluring everything possible to make it less obvious.

Severian Silk

It's hard to dudebro on a DS though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom